The Student Room Group

Lecturer embarrassing you in front of others

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
What a bell of a lecturer.
Reply 2
I would say you might have been a little over-sensitive, most people at university should be mature enough to know that some people need extra time.

Though maybe she should have arranged it so you were part of the last seminar group of the day doing the test so you weren't under pressure from the group afterwards to finish it. Maybe have a word with her before the next time such a thing could occur.
Reply 3
Original post by Operane

Am I being stupid and petty? Maybe I need to realize everyones an adult at university and I'm just over-sensitive? :colondollar:

Oh gosh. Not at all.

I'm sure your lecturer didn't intend to cause offence or emabarrassment. She was probably trying to be helpful. These sorts of things do happen unfortunately as so few staff actually have training and experience in teaching students with disabilities or additional needs. So she probably doesn't realise how insensitive it was.

Unless you have any further problems with her then I'd just leave it. But if you feel brave and up to it may be worthwhile email her and (politely and diplomatically) letting her know that she didn't deal with the situation in the best way. Something like, "I know you were trying to help and greatly appreciate that you were trying to reduce the noise levels and disruption, but nevertheless it did leave me embarrased and I didn't want others to know. I know you didn't mean to case offence but, if in the future, you would be a little more discreet".

I'm sure the other students don't give two hoots.

Still, that you have "additional needs" ought to be private and not blabbed to everyone.
Original post by River85
Still, that you have "additional needs" ought to be private and not blabbed to everyone.

Wouldn't they have guessed when they saw OP still writing, though?
The uni should have arranged a separate room that wasn't going to be disturbed. If I were you I'd make formal complaint about the lack of consideration in the arrangements and about the dreadful behaviour of the supervisor.
grow a pair ffs. She was doing it for your benefit!
She shouldn't have let the next group in whilst you were still writing anyway, regardless of any extra needs you have.
please dont mind..i am sure her intentions werent bad:smile:
You over reacted. I get extra time and a similar but worse thing happened to me with about 200 people. Nobody cares if you get extra time or not.
Lecturer is a pricck. End of.
Reply 11
your lectrer sounds a ****
Reply 12
Original post by hypocriticaljap
The uni should have arranged a separate room that wasn't going to be disturbed. If I were you I'd make formal complaint about the lack of consideration in the arrangements and about the dreadful behaviour of the supervisor.

+1

Definitely talk to your tutor or your undergraduate office about having a separate room for tests/exams, I'm pretty sure it is a requirement that they have to fulfill. However I don't think the supervisor was out of line, regardless of what he did you were going to be affected and its not a problem you're going to face in the future so writing a complaint is a little pointless. But definitely use it as leverage if they try to refuse you better arrangements.
Reply 13

Original post by AK51
+1

Definitely talk to your tutor or your undergraduate office about having a separate room for tests/exams, I'm pretty sure it is a requirement that they have to fulfill. However I don't think the supervisor was out of line, regardless of what he did you were going to be affected and its not a problem you're going to face in the future so writing a complaint is a little pointless. But definitely use it as leverage if they try to refuse you better arrangements.

I agree with those who said the lecturer didn't mean any bad, but dealt with the situation inappropriately. However, I don't think that setting a separate room would help. I think it would only make people who have special needs feel kind of "ghettoed" and that would not really help their integration with the rest of the student body. I tend to agree with those above who said it was better to schedule the test with the last group, so that the extra time would have been allowed without embarrassing "side effects." That said, I am pretty sure none of the students really cared :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by dshadow
I agree with those who said the lecturer didn't mean any bad, but dealt with the situation inappropriately. However, I don't think that setting a separate room would help. I think it would only make people who have special needs feel kind of "ghettoed" and that would not really help their integration with the rest of the student body. I tend to agree with those above who said it was better to schedule the test with the last group, so that the extra time would have been allowed without embarrassing "side effects." That said, I am pretty sure none of the students really cared :wink:

Can you explain this, I have dyspraxia and take tests in a separate room, but I don't feel like I've been "ghettoed", I feel like I am receiving compensation that I asked for to make tests and exams fairer. I don't see how taking tests in a different room should affect people from integrating with the rest of the student body.
Reply 15

Original post by AK51
Can you explain this, I have dyspraxia and take tests in a separate room, but I don't feel like I've been "ghettoed", I feel like I am receiving compensation that I asked for to make tests and exams fairer. I don't see how taking tests in a different room should affect people from integrating with the rest of the student body.

Don't misunderstand me, I don't mean at all that you should not be treated according to your specific needs. Fairness is a moral duty on your university's part. I was just objecting that in my view, a separate room might make somebody with your same needs feel uncomfortable, maybe because it would make them feel different in a negative way. I am just speculating here, and of course if this is not the case, all the better :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by dshadow
Don't misunderstand me, I don't mean at all that you should not be treated according to your specific needs. Fairness is a moral duty on your university's part. I was just objecting that in my view, a separate room might make somebody with your same needs feel uncomfortable, maybe because it would make them feel different in a negative way. I am just speculating here, and of course if this is not the case, all the better :smile:

No, of course, I just didn't understand your stance initially, was trying to gain some insight into your viewpoint which is rather different to mine :smile:.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Operane
I have additional learning needs (as they call it at my university) and a few weeks ago, I was doing a test. Every seminar group had a separate time to do the test. I have 15 minutes extra and I needed it on this test as it was extremely hard.

When the normal time was up, the lecturer asked everyone to stop, but she had already said any ALN pupils can continue.

I continued, however everyone left and she invited the next seminar group in and started shouting ''Be quiet, there's a pupil with additional learning needs still doing the test''. She repeated this three times before people were actually quiet, but by this time, everyone was staring at me...

I stood up and just dropped the paper on the desk where the lecturer was standing and walked off. I felt so uncomfortable and didn't get the extra time as I extremely embarrassed.

Am I being stupid and petty? Maybe I need to realize everyones an adult at university and I'm just over-sensitive? :colondollar:

You're exaggerating, he/she was trying to help you.
Reply 18
Original post by Stringer987
grow a pair ffs. She was doing it for your benefit!
A lot of AS people, or ASN people HATE attension being bought to them. Hate it.
Any shape or form of attension.
My friend has an obsession with football statistics, and when that was bought up in a room of people he got extremely embarrassed...EXTREMELY.

So taking that into consideration, yes the lecturer was extremely insensitive.
Reply 19
I THINK U GOT A LITTLE CARRIED AWAY. I am feeling blessed that i study at online college and therefore don't have to face these things:cool:

Quick Reply

Latest