The Student Room Group

Future medics - how empathetic are you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by i'm no superman
Now that's a stereotype and a half.

And yet it's true.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/10/94

I know not all of them are drug addicts, but such a high proportion are that it is not worth the risk.
Reply 41
I don't usually do anything. I do regular charity work (started before I considered medic applications for the cynical).

Donating to or working for homeless charities is a much better idea. Homeless people deserve help, but that's best granted by the state and charity - not by giving cash in hand to beggers. I have a family member (mum's uncle) who was found dead recently in Bradford and his existance was by all accounts desperate - but any money given directly to him would have gone on drugs and booze.
Reply 42
I think 'why are you not on benefits?' tbh.
Reply 43
Original post by Sakujo
I think 'why are you not on benefits?' tbh.

+1

Or just in general, why has the state let you get into that situation...
Sod all, why should I? Empathetic doesn't mean a sap.
Original post by Gizmo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V9jxnHwKbw

phew, Nora, that grannie at 1.07 looks like she is enjoying herself. wat a macca!

XD

Are you at SGUL now, out of interest?
I got started on by a Big Issue seller in Northampton once.
Reply 47
Original post by Ignoramus
XD

Are you at SGUL now, out of interest?

ahh, macca, i can safely say i am never at georgies.

even when preggers.
I used to feel really sorry for this tramp on our high street. He looked so pathetic sitting with his dog, playing the recorder for spare change. But as the years passed he was still there, which made me wonder why he hadn't gotten himself out of that situation. But he didn't and afaik he's still there. So I feel sorry for those who are short-term homeless, for whatever reason, but in the long term they should be able to sort their life out, get to a shelter or something.

And of course the drugs/booze problem... By no means are all beggars addicts, but as people have already said, so many are that it's not worth it.

So, honestly, I give to homeless organisations but not to beggars themselves. Sorry if this comes across as hard hearted, but you wanted the truth!
Reply 49
I get involved in a charity event in my local town where you are sponsored to live on the street for a night. It's absolutely brilliant, and lots of fun. I suspect that it's not really meant to be fun, but nevertheless it fundraises lots of money for the homeless!

e: You also get free Marks and Spencers sushi. :colonhash:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 50
there's a big issue seller in Leeds who shouts at people and then follows them up the street.
Original post by Organ
there's a big issue seller in Leeds who shouts at people and then follows them up the street.

There's one here in London with a cat! I just sits on his shoulder all day and seems perfectly fine with living on the street.
Reply 52
Original post by Beska
I get involved in a charity event in my local town where you are sponsored to live on the street for a night. It's absolutely brilliant, and lots of fun. I suspect that it's not really meant to be fun, but nevertheless it fundraises lots of money for the homeless!

e: You also get free Marks and Spencers sushi. :colonhash:

:mute:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although in my life time I've given more to organisations than homeless people I prefer giving my money to the homeless. Better satisfaction.

I'd rather not think about their past life. It's not really my place to judge. Would deny an alcoholic a new liver if you assumed he was going to drink again?

Extreme I know.:colone:
Reply 54

"The Big Sleep Out indludes cardboard box challenges, music, food and merchandise for sale"

Oh, it's an event type thing. Cool.:^_^:
Reply 55
Original post by nazirard
"The Big Sleep Out indludes cardboard box challenges, music, food and merchandise for sale"

Oh, it's an event type thing. Cool.:^_^:

If I remember, the last time I did it we were in a church in the city centre ... on a friday night. Ignoring the issue of there being lots and lots of pubs full of drunk people around us (which was p. funny really) if I remember, we just slept outside listening to The Fray through some iPod speakers watching the stars. :moon:
Original post by Gizmo!
ahh, macca, i can safely say i am never at georgies.

even when preggers.

Heheh, fair enough!
Reply 57
It depends on how many other homeless people I've done something for that week.

I'm pretty bad at walking past a homeless person without doing something. It's a character flaw. Luckily, there aren't that many of them in Norwich. I'll normally buy a Big Issue if they're selling one, otherwise maybe give them a pound or two.

It's really tricky when you go to your wallet to give them money and then realise you only have notes. You can't then walk away without giving them anything, so they get £5 off you. That's annoying.

Thus the "depends on how many homeless people I've already done something for". If it's been a week where I've haemorrhaged money to many homeless people then I'll have to walk by.

Though on Christmas Eve 2009 I was walking home from the city centre after work Christmas party and this one guy sitting in the snow made me feel so bad that I gave him my coat.

I really regretted that one about 10 minutes later. At least it was my cheap coat.

I never buy them something to eat. What if someone else has done the same 5 minutes earlier? What if they're not hungry now, but might be hungry tomorrow? What if what they need more is warmth or shelter? What if I don't want to assume all homeless people are addicts and insult them by giving them a sandwich instead of money, like they're not capable of making their own decisions?

Edit: On the more general topic of how empathetic I am, I don't think the homeless people example is that great a way to judge. From the above you'd think that I'm the most empathetic person in the universe. But I can read a news report about a genocide in Africa and barely feel a thing. It's all about proximity.

Cognitive and behavioural science has shown that, generally, empathy really decreases the further a person is from you, both in terms of geography but more importantly in terms of social grouping. So I might have strong empathy for my family and friends, less for passing acquaintances (e.g. homeless people), further less for my countrymen in general, further less for Europeans and Anglo-American nations, and least for everyone else.

On the other hand, other people are the exact opposite to this general rule. My best friend never gives anything to homeless people (maybe she knows that they're getting enough off me!) but is always much more concerned than I about distant events.
(edited 13 years ago)
Honestly,

I sympathise with them but just walk on. Mind, I do give a lot to charities.

I still think I'm a pretty empathetic person tbh. :devil3:
Reply 59
the beggars in newcastle are always the best. begging whilst drunk busking on a broken ukelele -

'Living on the tyne all me liiiieee
Norshaa me tyyme all ya hussies'
plinkplink
'Waa?'
pluNK PLINK plunk.
'ahhh come on - that MUSS be worth 50p!'

Quick Reply