The Student Room Group

Nursing Placements Abroad?

Hi:smile:

I was wondering when studying nursing...Do you get the chance to do any placements abroad?
I know with other degrees you can have the chance to do it in the 2nd or 3rd year.

I'd love the chance to work somewhere like Africa/India while training-
I'm thinking that I would probably have to fund myself though if I was to do this? Does anyone have any experience/info about this?

I think even if they don't allow it then I would probably think of going when I get 2/3 weeks off in the summer.

Any information would be appreciated! thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

If you university has an elective placement, then yes you can! Or you can always go away for a few months after you qualify as a registered nurse.

My cousin is a nursing student at keele in her third year and is currently spending 3 months working In turkey. its worth considering it for 3rd year rather than second, you'll be more competant.
Reply 2
Cup of Inspiration
If you university has an elective placement, then yes you can! Or you can always go away for a few months after you qualify as a registered nurse.

My cousin is a nursing student at keele in her third year and is currently spending 3 months working In turkey. its worth considering it for 3rd year rather than second, you'll be more competant.

Thanks for the reply =)
What organisation did your cousin go through??

Elective placement?
well, I've looked on my Uni website and they have this:

http://www.chester.ac.uk/study-with-us/study-abroad

I think its just a student exchange programme and I don't know if this applies to nursing!

I really want to do it while i'm training because I've looked up organisations you can go with and they say you can do it as a student nurse. I think it would give me much more experience while training and more chance of getting a good job afterwards. (as I would like to move abroad somewhere like Australia to get a job permanently)

I would also consider doing if after the 3 years aswel as doing it while training! I don't start my nursing for another 6 months so gonna save loads and I will probably live at home while I study so going to try and save a lot of money so I can do this!

Anyone got anymore information? I'm trying to get as much information before I start nursing!
well, bare in mind nursing degrees are different, most unis have a study abroad, but whether or not this can apply to nursing students is a different question, wth nursing its not just studying but also working.

If you will do it make sure you do it as an elective, so part of placement, theres no point going during holidays as there isn't enough time, oh and my cousins university had links with another so it was an exchange, all she had to pay for was flights and accomodation
Reply 4
Holamigo
Thanks for the reply =)
What organisation did your cousin go through??

Elective placement?
well, I've looked on my Uni website and they have this:

http://www.chester.ac.uk/study-with-us/study-abroad

I think its just a student exchange programme and I don't know if this applies to nursing!

I really want to do it while i'm training because I've looked up organisations you can go with and they say you can do it as a student nurse. I think it would give me much more experience while training and more chance of getting a good job afterwards. (as I would like to move abroad somewhere like Australia to get a job permanently)

I would also consider doing if after the 3 years aswel as doing it while training! I don't start my nursing for another 6 months so gonna save loads and I will probably live at home while I study so going to try and save a lot of money so I can do this!

Anyone got anymore information? I'm trying to get as much information before I start nursing!

I think a lot of unis do elective placements. I did an elective in Australia which was pretty coool :smile:
Reply 5
Yep nursing students down here in Southampton can go on electives during their training as well. A few I know went during their final year.
Reply 6
smilee172
I think a lot of unis do elective placements. I did an elective in Australia which was pretty coool :smile:

Wow! Can I be cheeky and ask for a little more about your time over there (not about Australia itself but about your placement etc) and also on what it is like at Brookes? :p:
Reply 7
smilee172

wow. really? That would be my dream!
How long did you do it for? how was it?

please do tell everything about it lol :smile:
When you do your placement abroad do you do it at a university abroad (i mean like, using their student accomodation), or do you have to find your own accomodation?
Reply 9
Yeah, I know some people who are about to go into their 3rd year and two of them are going to New Zealand for their elective placement.

I'm not sure about accomodation, I'd presume that there's somewhere allocated for students going abroad but who sorts that out I have no idea. You'll probably get loads of information anyway when you get the chance.
Reply 10
oo I think I'm definately gonna do it!
Is it only in the 3rd year that you get the chance to do it?

Also to Enchante how long are the two people going to New Zealand for??

I know for some of the organisations that you can go with they give you a 'host family' which you stay in their house and they cook your meals and stuff..
but I was also wondering what happens about accomodation if it was done through Uni??

Might be a tad to expensive if you have to pay for it!
Holamigo
oo I think I'm definitely gonna do it!
Is it only in the 3rd year that you get the chance to do it?

Also to Enchante how long are the two people going to New Zealand for??

I know for some of the organisations that you can go with they give you a 'host family' which you stay in their house and they cook your meals and stuff..
but I was also wondering what happens about accomodation if it was done through Uni??

Might be a tad to expensive if you have to pay for it!

Just try and focus on getting through first year, most universities who have electives will have their own way of organising the placements abroad, their own companies, links etc which they trust and use- so focus on getting through first year, and leave the rest for later!
Reply 12
You could also try orgs like medicins sans frontiers once qualified, though you might need some extra qualifications it would seem: http://www.msf.org.uk/nurse.job
Reply 13
Cup of Inspiration
Just try and focus on getting through first year, most universities who have electives will have their own way of organising the placements abroad, their own companies, links etc which they trust and use- so focus on getting through first year, and leave the rest for later!

oh i know its a long time away yet but that's exactly why i'm trying to find information before I even start nursing!
just so I know how much its going to cost etc.. so I can start saving and I just wanted to find out if there was anyone else out there who had been on a placement who could offer some advice!

no harm in researching it well before I do it as I may even consider doing it before my 3rd year..
Holamigo
oh i know its a long time away yet but that's exactly why i'm trying to find information before I even start nursing!
just so I know how much its going to cost etc.. so I can start saving and I just wanted to find out if there was anyone else out there who had been on a placement who could offer some advice!

no harm in researching it well before I do it as I may even consider doing it before my 3rd year..

most people havn't started saving, i've not thought about saving yet, as i know my university would do a subsidised amount etc, and help out through via organisations, so once i know where i want to go, why etc at the start of third year, i'll have a much better picture! Personally i'm considering right now going to a rural area of the country doing community!
Holamigo
wow. really? That would be my dream!
How long did you do it for? how was it?

please do tell everything about it lol :smile:

only 2 weeks but it counted as a whole module. then i did 6 weeks travelling! spent months and months before hand emailing people trying to convince them to give me a placement though...
Reply 16
smilee172
only 2 weeks but it counted as a whole module. then i did 6 weeks travelling! spent months and months before hand emailing people trying to convince them to give me a placement though...

oo got a few more questions lol :

what year in the course did you do it in?
Did the university help fund it?
what type of placement did you do?
Did you have to pay for your own accomodation?
and with going travelling for 6 weeks after..was this after you qualified I take it?

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Holamigo
oo got a few more questions lol :

what year in the course did you do it in?
Did the university help fund it?
what type of placement did you do?
Did you have to pay for your own accomodation?
and with going travelling for 6 weeks after..was this after you qualified I take it?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

what year in the course did you do it in? the summer holiday after second year/before third year
Did the university help fund it? i applied for a bursary, the maximum anyone could get was £200. i had to write a 2 page report on what i spent it on, which was pretty hard to do because it went towards about a quarter of my flights, so i had to drag that out for 2 pages!
what type of placement did you do? community mental health team
Did you have to pay for your own accomodation? yeh i found a host family through my mentor in australia
and with going travelling for 6 weeks after..was this after you qualified I take it? no i took it in the summer?!

Thanks in advance!
Original post by smilee172

how long was this for and how much did it cost you?
Original post by sarahfarmer12

Original post by sarahfarmer12
how long was this for and how much did it cost you?

I did a two week elective. It cost as much as a flight to Australia and two weeks accommodation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending