The Student Room Group

First top 5 US universities you think of

Scroll to see replies

Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Princeton
UCLA
harvard, yale, dartmouth, princeton, ucla.
Reply 122
Depends for which subject, but in general:

Harvard
Princeton
Yale
Columbia
Stanford
Reply 123
Original post by xnatalie01x
Harvard
Yale
Princeton
Brown
Columbia

(Not in any order)

First 5 to come into my head:

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown, Dartmouth.
Original post by ShayCamp
Awww thank you! Wooo, Loving Doctor Who (The David Tennant one obvs) and Torchwood!

Yes! I know it's terrible off-topic, but DW with David Tennant are the best episodes!!! :biggrin:
Harvard
Yale
Princeton
MIT
Stanford
Reply 126
Columbia
Cornell
Harvard
Princeton
Yale

I am a humanities student, and these sprung to mind because some of them have good university presses, and good academics too.
Reply 127
Does nobody rate Dartmouth?
Havard, Oxford, Cambridge, Princeton, Stanford.
Original post by Miss Mary
Havard, Oxford, Cambridge, Princeton, Stanford.

US only.
Harvard
Yale
Princeton
MIT
CalTech
First, the holy trinity; Harvard, Yale and Princeton followed by MIT and Columbia. I don't know why people put Brown up here, it certainly does not measure up to MIT and Columbia's status as a respectable American university.
Original post by Malcolm-X
Does nobody rate Dartmouth?

Most people who are actually commenting don't really have a clue about anything - but then the thread didn't specify for only posters who did.

Moronic comments like "Wharton=Banker Heaven" and "Princeton=Rich People" for example, just shows the general ignorance of people who buy into a ridiculous stereotype. I'd be surprised if the guy/girl making those posts has even actually been to the universities, but I'm sure he'll say he has to add some "credibility" to things.

Anyways, Dartmouth is a really good school (despite its Frat culture which I don't personally like), it has a much more relaxed atmosphere but still maintains some world-class teaching/faculty.
Original post by nerimon18

Original post by nerimon18
First, the holy trinity; Harvard, Yale and Princeton followed by MIT and Columbia. I don't know why people put Brown up here, it certainly does not measure up to MIT and Columbia's status as a respectable American university.

Equally I wouldn't say Columbia matches to Stanford.

Original post by manchild007
=Anyways, Dartmouth is a really good school (despite its Frat culture which I don't personally like), it has a much more relaxed atmosphere but still maintains some world-class teaching/faculty.

But, would you say it's a top 5 school?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
But, would you say it's a top 5 school?

I wouldn't say its Top 5 no, but its likes saying do you think Imperial/UCL/LSE etc are not top schools? They all may not be in the Top 3 (I've chosen 3 and not 5 b/c the UK really doesn't have as many top universities as say the US), but does that make them poor universities?

For example, the Top 3 could be Oxbridge and LSE, but then anyone who says Imperial is not good b/c of that it quite rightly foolish to say the least….
Harvard, Yale (obviously), Sarah Lawrence, Princeton, MIT
Original post by manchild007
I wouldn't say its Top 5 no, but its likes saying do you think Imperial/UCL/LSE etc are not top schools? They all may not be in the Top 3 (I've chosen 3 and not 5 b/c the UK really doesn't have as many top universities as say the US), but does that make them poor universities?

For example, the Top 3 could be Oxbridge and LSE, but then anyone who says Imperial is not good b/c of that it quite rightly foolish to say the least….

Yeah, I agree. It's just that I am surprised people naming the likes of Dartmouth, Brown, UC colleges etc in the Top 5. I wouldn't really put LSE and Imperial on top 5 due to their speciality, although MIT is science oriented it has a much more diverse subject list than those two.
Harvard
Yale
Dartmouth
Stanford
Princeton
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Yeah, I agree. It's just that I am surprised people naming the likes of Dartmouth, Brown, UC colleges etc in the Top 5. I wouldn't really put LSE and Imperial on top 5 due to their speciality, although MIT is science oriented it has a much more diverse subject list than those two.

The only reason Brown is on the list here is Ms. Watson and the idiotic need for people to follow such celebrities...
Reply 139
LOL somebody neg repped me for asking why Dartmouth wasn't highly rated on here?

Also it's impossible to come up with an accurate top 5 for either the UK or the US. Sure the US has a higher proportion of what could be termed "elite" universities owing to the sheer size of the country, the fact colleges in the States have larger financial and endowments and a larger population equates to a larger pool of highly qualified applicants and it'd be impossible to accommodate every grade A student at the likes of Harvard or Yale.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending