The Student Room Group

I attacked my mum.....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by edd360
Maybe so, but it sounds like it's a situation which can't be avoided. I highly doubt anyone chose to be in that situation, some people aren't fortunate enough to have their own room. Do you not realise this?

I thought even a council flat has at least 3 bedrooms... I can understand it that not everyone has their own rooms, but a brother + sister...... urghhh...... sorry I just find that repulsive.
Original post by Iorek
I thought even a council flat has at least 3 bedrooms... I can understand it that not everyone has their own rooms, but a brother + sister...... urghhh...... sorry I just find that repulsive.

Why do you find it repulsive? The only reason I can come up with is that you wouldn't share a room with your sister because you get no pussy and might end up being attracted to her, so you don't stay in the same room otherwise ull be tempted
Original post by Iorek

I will admit i wouldnt like to share a room with my sister - but i wouldnt be best impressed about sharing it with my brother.

Oh adn council flats come with onew and two bedrooms as well
Reply 43
Original post by silverbolt
I will admit i wouldnt like to share a room with my sister - but i wouldnt be best impressed about sharing it with my brother.

Oh adn council flats come with onew and two bedrooms as well

Oh okay, I didn't know there were council flats with 1 or 2 bedrooms.... the only one I ever been in had 3. It freaks the hell out of me to go to a council estate.
Reply 44
Original post by Iorek

Actually if you have 2 kids and one parent most councils will give you 2 bedrooms.

I know families of 5 who have had one bedroom. I guess you've had a pretty sheltered life right?
Reply 45
Original post by Iorek
Oh okay, I didn't know there were council flats with 1 or 2 bedrooms.... the only one I ever been in had 3. It freaks the hell out of me to go to a council estate.

Are you for real or a troll?
Reply 46
Original post by noodle1987
Actually if you have 2 kids and one parent most councils will give you 2 bedrooms.

I know families of 5 who have had one bedroom. I guess you've had a pretty sheltered life right?

Isn't that illegal?

Are you for real or a troll?

Why? Not everyone is into going to places where low/working class people live.
Its best just waiting till you both calm down leave it a few days, do her a few drinks. Then when she is calmer explain it again, she will more likely to accept it than if you go straight to her now as she is most probably in some uncertainty.
Did you yell 'THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAA'' when you speared your mother?
Hahahhahahahah!
Lol, troll.
Reply 51
Original post by Iorek
Isn't that illegal?

I think it gets you on the council register and in theory they should have got rehoused but it doesn't always happen in reality.

Original post by Iorek

Why? Not everyone is into going to places where low/working class people live.

Maybe not but they are not all the social problem filled mess they are portrayed to be and you'd have to had led a sheltered life to think that. There are bad sink estates and then there are areas with strong community bonds and good lifestyles.
(edited 13 years ago)
I once woke up to find my dad fiddling with my willy. I sort of speared him, but then he told me he was just checking something. So I went back to sleep.

I know how you feel.
Original post by Iorek
You sleep in the same room as your sister? :eek:

That's ewwwwwwwwwwwww...

I think its quite the opposite, tbh :sexface:

I thought the policy was for separate bedrooms for kids of different genders, once one was 10 years or older?
Reply 55
Original post by Iorek

LMAO, that was classic, sorry. Council houses can have any number of bedrooms, just like "real" houses. It's amazing what they can do for those vermin these days

I know you say you haven't been to many council houses but surely you're not so sheltered as to have absolutely no idea about them whatsoever? I am working class, I have only been in two council houses though, doesn't mean I don't know anything about them!
Reply 56
Original post by Barden
I thought the policy was for separate bedrooms for kids of different genders, once one was 10 years or older?

It is. I have read that too. I was trying to find the link to it but my laptop is being a pain in the arse and won't let me open it grrr. It is unusual to have different sexes of those ages sharing a room. I had to share a room with my sister for ages, it's not like sharing a room is weird but sharing a room with my brother would have been. I don't really know how people can think an 18 year old boy sharing with a 12 year old girl isn't unusual...it is. Obviously it happens, but it's quite rare imo
Reply 57
Original post by alibobs
I had to share a room with my sister for ages, it's not like sharing a room is weird but sharing a room with my brother would have been. I don't really know how people can think an 18 year old boy sharing with a 12 year old girl isn't unusual...it is. Obviously it happens, but it's quite rare imo

http://www.nihe.gov.uk/hmo_standards.pdf
Read 4.3

Original post by alibobs
LMAO, that was classic, sorry. Council houses can have any number of bedrooms, just like "real" houses. It's amazing what they can do for those vermin these days

I know you say you haven't been to many council houses but surely you're not so sheltered as to have absolutely no idea about them whatsoever? I am working class, I have only been in two council houses though, doesn't mean I don't know anything about them!

TBH, all the time when I was living in Asia, I never knew any low/working class people.. was strictly forbidden to do so by my parents.

Then when I was in uni, I was an overseas student in USA, vast majority of people I hung out with were of similar background and we knew about "projects" we just tell ourselves we should not have anything to do with it or the people that live there.

I was 26 when I first arrived in UK due to a job posting. Never really had to know about council housing....... and never knew of anyone who lived in one.

It was only in 2009 when I attended a UK university that I finally got to know someone who actually lived in a council flat and visited it. (He was a flatmate of mine)

Sheltered? My gf definitely thinks I am..... but I don't really think so.

Original post by Barden

I thought this was the rules as well.

I think it gets you on the council register and in theory they should have got rehoused but it doesn't always happen in reality.

You mean to say a council can clearly contravene national policy?
Reply 58
Original post by Iorek
http://www.nihe.gov.uk/hmo_standards.pdf
Read 4.3

You mean to say a council can clearly contravene national policy?

They weren't actually housed that way but a death in the family caused problems and homelessness for other family members and they moved in and there was very little chance of getting rehoused. It's a very beauracratic system and often these families are struggling to cope as it is, it's a hard system to work out.

By law council cannot leave children homeless, but I used to work on a youth project and I was keyworker for many severely disadvantaged kids. It happens all the time and it's an absolute disgrace.

I know a 16 year old who 2 years ago spent Christmas sleeping rough in a park - in the snow.

My cousin ended up homeless due to her mother have a breakdown a few years ago, we live very far away and didn't have contact with her, she got very little support but eventually found a place in a hostel. She was 17 and in the middle of her A levels.

The councils do not choose to break the law but if the houses/flats/hostels aren't there it happens, they should get B&Bs for people but sometimes they can't and they usually don't have the resources.

Homeslessness amongst the youngest most vulnerable people has got better in the past few years (mainly due to a massive rise in public funds to the councils for this) but it is very much an issue. There is a real housing shortage in many places and the private market just cannot plug the gap.
Reply 59
Original post by Barden

Yeah I think it depends on age, but if the kids are under a certain age they have to share a room, once your kids are older getting rehoused is a nightmare and as you'll be concidered such a low priority it probably won't happen.

Quick Reply

Latest