The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jbeacom600
Hey! If anyone has any questions about Maths/Hertford feel free to ask!

Hey!
Would it be worth contacting one of the tutors to do some work now, or would that just make me a freak? My friend is already being contacted by his for maths.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 321
Original post by RupertTheBear
Hey!
Would it be worth contacting one of the tutors to do some work now, or would that just make me a freak? My friend is already being contacted by his for maths.

I don't think you'd come across as a freak (at least not by Oxford standards) so I wouldn't worry about that. But if you have plenty of maths to be doing now - e.g. finishing off maths A-level, further maths or say you're planning to take STEP - then I wouldn't worry about seeking extra work at the moment.

If you're on a gap year your request would be a lot more natural.

I'd guess your tutor might point you at the "more challenging questions" on

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/practice-problems

which are often used as vacation work. Alternatively you could look through some of the first year Oxford lecture notes that are on the web at

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/courses/material

(under Moderations).

As a third option I'd personally recommend

Reg Allenby - Numbers and Proofs,

or

Geoff Smith - Introductory Mathematics: Algebra and Analysis

as good reads if you want "acclimatise" a little to the different mindset pure university maths is going to have.
My UCAS has been updated. Nice to see it there :biggrin:
Original post by RichE
I don't think you'd come across as a freak (at least not by Oxford standards) so I wouldn't worry about that. But if you have plenty of maths to be doing now - e.g. finishing off maths A-level, further maths or say you're planning to take STEP - then I wouldn't worry about seeking extra work at the moment.

If you're on a gap year your request would be a lot more natural.

I'd guess your tutor might point you at the "more challenging questions" on

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/practice-problems

which are often used as vacation work. Alternatively you could look through some of the first year Oxford lecture notes that are on the web at

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/courses/material

(under Moderations).

As a third option I'd personally recommend

Reg Allenby - Numbers and Proofs,

or

Geoff Smith - Introductory Mathematics: Algebra and Analysis

as good reads if you want "acclimatise" a little to the different mindset pure university maths is going to have.

Thanks that is really helpful! Yeah I am on a gap year
Reply 324
Is there any way to talk to current students/post-graduates from certain subjects? Been reading through Law School information and interested to know about the Law Fairs. (I know this is ridiculously fore-thought but if it stops me from doing work)
Original post by tommy1311
Is there any way to talk to current students/post-graduates from certain subjects? Been reading through Law School information and interested to know about the Law Fairs. (I know this is ridiculously fore-thought but if it stops me from doing work)

There are a few Oxford lawyers hanging about on TSR - I think a good person for you to talk to about this would be eve_22, who is a current 2nd year. For any questions on the course generally you are very welcome to ask me :smile:
Reply 326
Original post by Festina lente
There are a few Oxford lawyers hanging about on TSR - I think a good person for you to talk to about this would be eve_22, who is a current 2nd year. For any questions on the course generally you are very welcome to ask me :smile:

Ahh thankyou! Expect a PM soonish. :tongue:
Reply 327
Original post by RupertTheBear
Hey!

I would say that your probably alright not getting in contact with them for them time being - they'll send you work about June-ish time anyway. Incidentally, with respect to what RichE said, Dr Lauder set us the Geoff Smith book to do over the summer, so you may want to start there and have a look. Similarly, doing some of the practice problems (specifically the last 11 pages) would be beneficial, as would perhaps doing STEP, or at least the questions. Don't worry too much yet, they'll let you know when the time is right!
UCAS updated! I'm very much tempted to accept it, but I haven't decided on my insurance. (Durham? St Andrews? Durham? Grrr...)
Original post by Sempiternitas
UCAS updated! I'm very much tempted to accept it, but I haven't decided on my insurance. (Durham? St Andrews? Durham? Grrr...)

what is the insurance?
Reply 330

Wouldn't it be a bit pointless putting Durham as insurance seeing as the offer is the same?

It wont let me accept mine :frown: When I click on reply to offers it doesnt do anything. Is yours letting you then?
Original post by moritzplatz
what is the insurance?

Your insurance university is the one you'd go to if you don't meet the offer of your firm. (Or are rather wanting to know what my insurance is?)

Original post by SamF1992
Wouldn't it be a bit pointless putting Durham as insurance seeing as the offer is the same?

That's what I'm thinking - but the Classics tutor I saw in the summer did say that they wouldn't demand so much from me, so I'm just e-mailing him whether they'd be kind and ask for less...

Original post by soutioirsim
It wont let me accept mine :frown: When I click on reply to offers it doesnt do anything. Is yours letting you then?

I haven't tried yet. I'm not going to unless I've completely made up my mind in case I accidentally "declined" Oxford. :eek:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 333
Original post by cysxmy
I was accepted by Brasenose and majored in engineering. If there is anyone in Brasenose or eningeering, please feel free to PM me.
BTW, I found little repl or information about Brasenose. a really low profile college?

Congratulations on the offer! I am a first year studying engineering at brasenose, if you have any questions PM me.
Your insurance university is the one you'd go to if you don't meet the offer of your firm. (Or are rather wanting to know what my insurance is?)

no yes i wanted to know that, thanks :biggrin:

so it's not a problem for me since i applied only to oxford!
no yes i wanted to know that, thanks :biggrin:

so it's not a problem for me since i applied only to oxford!

Really? But don't you get five choices for UCAS?

I hope you don't mind my asking - but are you really from Rome?
Really? But don't you get five choices for UCAS?

I hope you don't mind my asking - but are you really from Rome?

yes i could apply to 5 uni...but i wanted to go only to oxford so i applied only there :biggrin:

yes i'm from Rome, i live 200 meters from the colosseum :smile:
Reply 337
Original post by extricated
rest in peace oxford kmt

rest in peace extricated :colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone:
(edited 13 years ago)
yes i could apply to 5 uni...but i wanted to go only to oxford so i applied only there :biggrin:

yes i'm from Rome, i live 200 meters from the colosseum :smile:

That's some dedication. I suppose you took the chance to write "It's been my lifelong dream to go to Oxford" in your personal statement? (Seeing that other unis wouldn't be reading it anyway...)

The Colosseum! :drool: I could wake up seeing that every day.
That's some dedication. I suppose you took the chance to write "It's been my lifelong dream to go to Oxford" in your personal statement? (Seeing that other unis wouldn't be reading it anyway...)

The Colosseum! :drool: I could wake up seeing that every day.

no i forgot to write that :frown:

i can't see it from my window :frown: there are trees...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending