The Student Room Group

M1 Speed Check Cameras

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by 1992LP
I believe he was being sarcastic - as it is an out of date link you posted. Any idea where a more up to date one could be found?

Err no if there was I would have posted it. :frown:
Reply 41
Original post by RELAXED
Err no if there was I would have posted it. :frown:

Damn... Would be very useful!!
I can't be the only one who thought this was an abstract Mechanics question.
ACPO guidelines state that 100mph+ on any road is an instant ban. In general you will be prosecuted for 10% of the limit + 2mph. That is in a 30 zone, 35mph or more will get a you a ticket, a pull over, a lecture or whatever the officer decides. If you're caught be a camera, well, you're getting the ticket.

Remember that vehicle speedometers ALWAYS over-read by 5-10% so as to remove any legal comeback ("I was doing 30 but I got a ticket for 31, Mr Ford, therefore I'm going to sue you...).

A sat nav is the best way to get an accurate speed reading, they're spot on.
Reply 44
Original post by Miraclefish

Remember that vehicle speedometers ALWAYS over-read by 5-10% so as to remove any legal comeback ("I was doing 30 but I got a ticket for 31, Mr Ford, therefore I'm going to sue you...).

Not quite - legally they aren't allowed to under read, and may over read by up to 10%. In reality they'll be offset, almost certainly below, but unless you know it's properly calibrated it's not a good idea to rely on it to save you from a speeding ticket. One of my friends has a speedo that under or over reads depending on the wear of his tyres!

A sat nav is the best way to get an accurate speed reading, they're spot on.

Again, not quite. They're generally more accurate than a speedo, but they aren't absolutely accurate. I use GPS a lot on boats and it's a great tool, but it's also given me information that absolutely cannot be correct (such as telling me I was in a field next to the river - I'm certain I wasn't!) and the error increases with speed.
Bloody cameras
Reply 46
Update on the situation, as you can tell from the first post, it's been a long long time.

Nothing has came through :biggrin: touch wood.

WINNNNNNN
I hope you still learn from it if this is the case.
Reply 48
Hell yes :P I have to drive down to junction 11 from coventry every day, the roadworks from j10 - j13 have average speed check. You can find me in the slow lane doing 45mph :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending