The Student Room Group

A2 Geography - AQA exam 1/2/11

Is anyone else doing the topic on Belfast? How are you preparing for it, just learning the pre-released material?

Has anyone done any work on the fieldwork section yet? We haven't :frown:

Scroll to see replies

i'm doing this exam too, quite enrvous about it seeing as you dont really know what there gonna ask about. to revise i've just been going over the AIB, doing tasks set by teachers, practise q's etc...
one of the questions was "to what extent has urban regeneration tackled multiple deprivation and poverty in Belfast?"
any help witht this q would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply 2
I am doing the same exam.
Revision for me will just be going over the booklet, looking at regeneration etc.
I'm doing this exam too :smile:
I'm just going over the booklet at the moment and revising regeneration. Also going to Liverpool on Friday to do some fieldwork on regeneration so we have some idea of what to write about :smile:
Reply 4
I'm on Belfast also...
I'm kinda curious about how many case studies and examples of schemes we need to get. Our teacher has been banging on about case studies to no end, and I'm still not sure how many I'd need to know to feel safe in the exam.
Reply 5
Original post by DellaLouise
I'm doing this exam too :smile:
I'm just going over the booklet at the moment and revising regeneration. Also going to Liverpool on Friday to do some fieldwork on regeneration so we have some idea of what to write about :smile:

Awesome! I live there. (;
I'd say you'll love it, but it's sort of miserable, so.
We went to Belfast last month, it was lovely. Learnt a lot. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Deocyn
I'm on Belfast also...
I'm kinda curious about how many case studies and examples of schemes we need to get. Our teacher has been banging on about case studies to no end, and I'm still not sure how many I'd need to know to feel safe in the exam.

I don't think it's really about case studies, I just think that you need to know what has gone on, and perhaps be able to know how it is different from more advanced cities. Don't stress so much on the case study front, we haven't done any...
Reply 7
Original post by Deocyn
I'm on Belfast also...

It's probably be good to be able to compare the regeneration aims, and to be able to compare the successes of the Laganside regeneration compared to other regeneration, such as the Manchester UDC, leeds and Reading development and the 'rejuvination' of some cities which have experienced or are experiencing urban and industrial decline.

The exam should be... interesting, just keep running over the prerelease material, and teach says expect a bugger of a question to come up about field study!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
anyone got any notes? to upload please :P
Reply 9
Original post by Demothesis
anyone got any notes? to upload please :P

To be honest, I literally think it's more of a common sense exam rather than revising notes.
Reply 10
HI IM DOING a2 geography as a private candidate but i dont know what topics i have to study ,which ones are compulsory and optional help please
Reply 11
Taking this exam on the 1st, and because we're focusing so much on Unit 3 (next Tuesday, doing both exams in Jan), I've literally spent a couple of hours on this. I don't even have a clue what the exam is going to be like either. Thankfully I don't have a uni place on the line or anything, but it's still a bit unsettling, not even knowing what the questions will be like. Trying not to think at all about Unit 4 until this other exam is done :p:
Reply 12
Original post by lizolove
I don't think it's really about case studies, I just think that you need to know what has gone on, and perhaps be able to know how it is different from more advanced cities. Don't stress so much on the case study front, we haven't done any...

Original post by Thorpedp
It's probably be good to be able to compare the regeneration aims, and to be able to compare the successes of the Laganside regeneration compared to other regeneration, such as the Manchester UDC, leeds and Reading development and the 'rejuvination' of some cities which have experienced or are experiencing urban and industrial decline.

The exam should be... interesting, just keep running over the prerelease material, and teach says expect a bugger of a question to come up about field study!

Thanks for the replies, I was a bit skeptical about the amount of emphasis we were getting on just pure case studies. I'm definately anticipating some sort of question based on success of schemes, so probably a good idea to get some good working knowledge on another city... maybe london dockside or something. Thanks again! :smile:
Reply 13
I'm also doing the exam, if your teachers have bought the Zigzag booklet I've found that really helpful. The bit I'm worried about is if a question comes up concerning evaluating the websites in the back or a fieldwork question as this stuff we haven't covered very much.
Reply 14
Original post by Deocyn
Thanks for the replies, I was a bit skeptical about the amount of emphasis we were getting on just pure case studies. I'm definately anticipating some sort of question based on success of schemes, so probably a good idea to get some good working knowledge on another city... maybe london dockside or something. Thanks again! :smile:

If I am totally honest, it's all really in the practice and how natural you are at this kind of stuff. I struggle in some subjects, yet our teacher suprised us with two past papers in lessons, and in the first I got one mark from an (40/60) A*, and the second I got 48/60 (A*). I didn't revise, because it was a random test.

It's all really in the skill, and just because you do well in practice tests, it doesn't mean that you're guaranteed to do well in this one.
Although, I find that this test is DIFFICULT to revise for, because you don't know what to revise and there's no real way to revise it. );

Good Luck! x
Reply 15
Original post by jacky_12
I'm also doing the exam, if your teachers have bought the Zigzag booklet I've found that really helpful. The bit I'm worried about is if a question comes up concerning evaluating the websites in the back or a fieldwork question as this stuff we haven't covered very much.

Yeah, I think we've got that

Also, look at the Pre-release material, on the back are the sources AQA used to compile the booklet! Look at some, they're really useful!
I'm doing this exam but my pre-release is on tectonic processes
Reply 17
Original post by Deocyn

From the previous years mark schemes I can't find anything that promts the apllication of another regeneration scheme.. I know our topic of Belfast is slightly different but as this a Advance Issue Evaluation I doubt that they require you to draw upon previous knowledge.. unless the examiner is being tight.. but just in case im sure we all know one in the back of our heads !! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by jacky_12

I have read this question from ZigZag aswell.. I made me literally go home and read everything on both sites.. Even if a similar question does not crop up im sure that the half an hour on the websites is good revision on the rest of the AIB.. www.bestofbelfast.com has a great timeline.. Sorted out what happened when in my head !! Hope this helps ! :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by lizolove
If I am totally honest, it's all really in the practice and how natural you are at this kind of stuff.

Original post by massey43
From the previous years mark schemes I can't find anything that promts the apllication of another regeneration scheme.. I know our topic of Belfast is slightly different but as this a Advance Issue Evaluation I doubt that they require you to draw upon previous knowledge.. unless the examiner is being tight.. but just in case im sure we all know one in the back of our heads !! :smile:

The more I look at this the more it does seem that common sense is for answering a lot of questions. I've been looking at the practice questions we've been given and most of the marks seem to be coming through at AO2 rather than just application of loads of facts. Think I'll just make sure I have a core understanding of the main concepts etc

Massey43, I'm probably gonna get a general overview of at least one just in case, but yeah it probably isn't worth going really in depth. Considering it's focussed on Belfast anyway they probably wouldn't appreaciate a thesis on Manchester :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending