The Student Room Group

Girls, would you EVER date a foreign man?

Scroll to see replies

me hoping so :borat:
Original post by effofex
Lol, what? I'm fairly sure the majority of Asian (West/North/East/South Asian) males don't date/marry white females (simply because there aren't that many white females in Asia). Most females are from a West/North/East/South Asian nation respectively.

When you say 'Asian' here - do you mean East Asian? Because I was under the impression that in the UK, East Asian males tend to have the highest average salaries (stratified by ethnoregional group) compared to anyone else so surely they are deemed to be equals by most of the population.

mate, I didn't write that article, I just copied from internet:biggrin: I had very good experience in UK and I really like british men/irish men, they have such strong sense of humor and they treat me really nicely!! So I agree with you. Some narrow minded girls can never change my mind for the country:cool: UK is one of the most tolerated countries in the world
Original post by GreenEyedGal
I doubt there are many girls who would date Somalians, Singaporeans, Samoans, Indians or Nigerians etc. So it would be more pertinant to divide them into more specific groups such as Europeans, Asians, Africans etc.
All of them are foreign however, most women would date a french or dutch guy, however most women (not all of the mind you) would not date an Indian guy.

Balls.

Plenty of girls date asian guys. The issue with such a partnership tends to come from the asian family pressure.
Original post by Jamie
Balls.

Plenty of girls date asian guys. The issue with such a partnership tends to come from the asian family pressure.

No they don't, white girls with east asian guys is exceptionally rare.
Reply 104
I am. My boyfriend's Albanian.
Original post by Jamie
Balls.

that greeneyegal is not very intelligent and open minded, and apparently she only judges a book by the cover, the most annoying thing is she applies her own perception (ok.. a few of her friends thoughts as well...) to the majority of european women, it sounds like she's trying to advocate something, to tell all the european women: " please stay away from asian men" I just feel greeneyegal is not female and extremely racist
(edited 13 years ago)

that doesn't say majority of european girls don't like asian men. YOU ARE NOT A GIRL or YOU ARE LESBIAN
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by effofex
Would people laugh at you in public or in private? Also, wouldn't they think that the Asian/African male in question was desperate (rather than you) and laugh at them because often for them the incentive might be to get a UK passport and access to the employment markets of EU member states. Lol - what is the reputation they have? (I'm fresh from Bangalore, which is a city in South Asia so obviously I am curious).

Probably in private. I mean, maybe i'm being paranoid and maybe people wouldn't do that, although, when British people (especially White girls) date someone from Asia/Africa i've seen them getting laughed at behind their backs-mainly by people saying stuff like she must be desperate etc. You're right about the UK passport thing as well, as a lot of people would probably think i (if i was to date a guy from Asia/Africa) was being used for one (due to so many stories in the press where this has happened) which would make me appear even more desperate.

I'm feeling a bit awkward now, knowing that you're from India as i don't want to offend you (and also want to let you know that this is not my opinion) but in general Freshies (the nickname used in Brum for people from abroad) are stereotyped as being a bit desperate and sleazy, as well as being culturally backwards. Often they are generally seen as losers, and get laughed at due to some of the things they do (sometimes justified as, tbh, a lot of guys from Asia especially do things which aren't really acceptable in this country-especially towards females which does make them come across badly, but other times they're just being laughed at because of the tendancy for people to laugh at people different to themselves.) It doesn't help that a lot of the stereotypes/piss taking of people from Asia/Africa actually comes from British born Asians and Black people so the stereotypes just get passed on to others (White people/girls) who maybe don't know any people from India or Africa to talk to and therefore believe all of the things that get said about them.

Much of the reputation that Indian and African guys get is down to ignorance as a lot of people who believe them haven't met an Asian or African guy properly, and i've noticed your posts on this site and you come across as very intelligent etc so you would dispell a lot of those myths people have about Indian men, but because of a mix of cultural ignorance (and some bad behaviour by guys from these countries-if you were to see how some of the Indian Freshie guys in Birmingham act you would understand) a lot of people believe the stereotypes which is why a girl dating one would get somewhat of a (negative) reputation.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 108
Original post by effofex
Really? What do they call you? Aren't alot of foreign men from European nations 'white' too?

Yeah but I dated a South Asian guy, and I got called all sorts of racist things, some of the choice ones being 'al-quaida sympathiser', 'taliban slut', and the ever original comment 'Has he shown you how to make a bomb yet?'. Obviously, these were said by uneducated tits. Some of them would even come up to me and slap me for 'betraying my race' LMAO, it was pathetic.

I don't think that happens often though, I just know some real ********s.
Reply 109

I don't know about East Asian guys, but here's something you may find interesting. Take me and two friends, we're all white. I like South Asian and mixed race guys, one likes Black and South Asian guys, and the other one likes Black guys. That's not to say we wouldn't date white guys, but we tend to prefer those. So yeah, I don't think all white women like white men.
Reply 110
Original post by .Ali.
Yeah but I dated a South Asian guy, and I got called all sorts of racist things, some of the choice ones being 'al-quaida sympathiser', 'taliban slut', and the ever original comment 'Has he shown you how to make a bomb yet?'. Obviously, these were said by uneducated tits. Some of them would even come up to me and slap me for 'betraying my race' LMAO, it was pathetic.

:eek: that sounds pretty bad- just for dating a south asian guy???
:rolleyes: is that anything to do with your chav thread? I thought you were being pretty mean but if they're saying these things to you... :redface:
Italians :drool:

Evidently I move in more open and multicultural circles than yourself.

[Incidentally I'm white with a SE asian girlfriend]
Reply 113
Original post by BellaBoo
Probably in private. I mean, maybe i'm being paranoid and maybe people wouldn't do that, although, when British people (especially White girls) date someone from Asia/Africa i've seen them getting laughed at behind their backs-mainly by people saying stuff like she must be desperate etc. You're right about the UK passport thing as well, as a lot of people would probably think i (if i was to date a guy from Asia/Africa) was being used for one (due to so many stories in the press where this has happened) which would make me appear even more desperate.

I'm feeling a bit awkward now, knowing that you're from India as i don't want to offend you (and also want to let you know that this is not my opinion) but in general Freshies (the nickname used in Brum for people from abroad) are stereotyped as being a bit desperate and sleazy, as well as being culturally backwards. Often they are generally seen as losers, and get laughed at due to some of the things they do (sometimes justified as, tbh, a lot of guys from Asia especially do things which aren't really acceptable in this country-especially towards females which does make them come across badly, but other times they're just being laughed at because of the tendancy for people to laugh at people different to themselves.) It doesn't help that a lot of the stereotypes/piss taking of people from Asia/Africa actually comes from British born Asians and Black people so the stereotypes just get passed on to others (White people/girls) who maybe don't know any people from India or Africa to talk to and therefore believe all of the things that get said about them.

Much of the reputation that Indian and African guys get is down to ignorance as a lot of people who believe them haven't met an Asian or African guy properly, and i've noticed your posts on this site and you come across as very intelligent etc so you would dispell a lot of those myths people have about Indian men, but because of a mix of cultural ignorance (and some bad behaviour by guys from these countries-if you were to see how some of the Indian Freshie guys in Birmingham act you would understand) a lot of people believe the stereotypes which is why a girl dating one would get somewhat of a (negative) reputation.

Cool. This is all very interesting and eye-opening and I have some more questions :smile:

I still don't fully understand why people would think the white female in question would appear desperate - I'd have thought the Asian/African male would look far more desperate given that he may be after a UK passport. The reason is that you can apply for British citizenship after 5 years permanent law-abiding residence so having to resort to dating a British woman may make it appear as though he is impatient or that he might have misdemeanours to hide from the Immigration & Nationality Directorate.

Lol - the term 'Freshie' is used in London too. I'm aware there is some resentment from British-born people with ancestry from the nations from which the aforementioned 'Freshies' have migrated from - maybe this stems from competition in employment etc. - I'm not sure really. What sleazy and culturally backward things are they held responsible for? And when you mentioned that they do unacceptable things - are these activities illegal? - since if they are (like molestation of men/women) then aren't they liable to termination of their residence permit, being issued with a criminal record and possible deportation?

How come they are seen as losers? Are they viewed as quite slovenly, unsuccessful and uninteresting? Could they be ridiculed for example, for eating rice or pizza with their hands, rather than with a knife/fork? Another query I had was regarding 'cultural ignorance' - if Birmingham is quite a multiethnic city, presumably non-Freshies are quite likely to have Freshies as friends/work colleagues/acquaintances etc. so they might know them fairly well? Obviously this might differ in a rural area. Actually when looking up 'Interracial marriage in the United Kingdom' on Wikipedia I found this quote:

'By World War II, any form of intimate relationship between a white woman and non-white man was often considered offensive.[140] Concerns were repeatedly voiced regarding white adolescent girls forming relationships with coloured men, including South Asian seamen in the 1920s,[141] Muslim immigrants in the 1920s to 1940s,[142] African American GIs during World War II, Maltese and Cypriot cafe owners in the 1940s to 1950s, Caribbean immigrants in the 1950s to 1960s, and South Asian immigrants in the 1960s.'

....so maybe in many cases today could it be considered very culturally insensitive for a coloured male to date a British woman?

I'm not sure if my experience is representative, but I tend to meet most of my fellow Freshies in a professional and very male-dominated context (finance) so I'm not aware if they have ever attempted to date a British woman. Obviously if they or I did so at work it would be highly inappropriate in a workplace environment. Alot of these men are on intra-company transfers and temporary work permits of 2-3 years in duration and some may even have partners in their homelands so there is no incentive to flirt with a woman regardless of whether they are British or not. Alot of the activities many Asian/African migrants are often interested in (cricket, football, billiards etc.) may be quite unpopular with British women so might it be the case that they don't interact outside a workplace environment?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 114
Original post by .Ali.

Someone slapped you :eek:? What a **** head, were you o.k, what did you do :s-smilie:?
LMAO!
TSR how I missed thee ^^
lol this. Of course they would :smug::pierre:
Original post by .Ali.

:eek: what part of britain are you from?
Reply 118
Original post by amsie/
:eek: that sounds pretty bad- just for dating a south asian guy???
:rolleyes: is that anything to do with your chav thread? I thought you were being pretty mean but if they're saying these things to you... :redface:

Yup, they were absolutely vile!
Haha, funnily enough, it's the same people who I was on about in that thread who were saying it! Hence why I really don't like them.
Reply 119
Original post by Roocky
Someone slapped you :eek:? What a **** head, were you o.k, what did you do :s-smilie:?

I know yeah, it was absolutely pathetic. I was okay it just really shocked me that some people can do that based solely on the fact I was dating an Asian guy... :s-smilie: I just pushed them off and said that if they ever touched me again, I'd take it very seriously and make a legal complaint for physical abuse on racial grounds. They backed off but still shouted stuff at me. Knobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending