The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

First year Analysis/Foundations January Exam 2011

Just thought I'd make a thread to discuss the January exam/post solutions to past papers etc.

I'll put links to any full solutions in this original post. There's already a few past paper solutions on this forum at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1126241 as well.
Full solutions-
ANALYSIS I:
2009 Q1 by matt2k8
True/False Questions from MORSE Society book - by matt2k8

FOUNDATIONS:
2010 Q1 by matt2k8
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Q1 by miml
"Question 1" Questions from MORSE Society book - by matt2k8
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Have any of you guys seen the e-mail from the MORSE society?
Pretty damned useful Christmas present they've given us there! :biggrin:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
Have any of you guys seen the e-mail from the MORSE society?
Pretty damned useful Christmas present they've given us there! :biggrin:

What's the present? :hat:

/subbed
Analysis I, 2009, Q1 - missed out f though as I'm not sure what to do? I can prove 1an\frac{1}{|a_n|}\rightarrow \infty but not what the question says :\

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
I'm not 100% sure about h, but the rest seems OK to me?
Foundations, 2010, Q1:

Spoiler

Reply 5
FOUNDATIONS

January 2006

January 2007

January 2008

January 2009

6) Yes, a surjection A->B has a right inverse (which is also an injection) B->A.

7) αβ \displaystyle\alpha\beta = (1234)
βα \displaystyle \beta \alpha = (1243)

8) Closure: a,bG,ab=baG\displaystyle \forall a,b \in G , ab=ba\in G
Associativity: a,b,cG,(ab)c=a(bc)\displaystyle \forall a,b,c \in G, (ab)c=a(bc)
Identity Element: eG:aGae=ea=a\displaystyle \exists e \in G : \forall a \in G ae = ea = a
Inverse Element: aGa1G:aa1=a1a=e\displaystyle \forall a \in G \exists a^{-1} \in G: aa^{-1} = a^{-1}a = e

9) 1517=15(mod17)\displaystyle 15^{17} = 15 (mod 17) by FLT
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
any idea to the solution for 2007 paper foundations 1(i)(i)??
Reply 7
Original post by yeohaikal
any idea to the solution for 2007 paper foundations 1(i)(i)??

I've posted some solutions above, let me know though if you don't agree with the answer though.
Reply 8
Really quick analysis question...

is there a sequence a_n for which |a_n| doesn't converge but a_n does?

I don't think so...??

EDIT: Also, is the following a correct definition of a_n is not null
ϵ>0s.tNN,n>Ns.tan>ϵ\displaystyle \exists \epsilon > 0 s.t \forall N \in \mathbb{N}, \exists n > N s.t |a_n|> \epsilon . I don't think so, because it looks like a_n = 1/n might satisfy this definition, but I'm not sure.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by miml
Really quick analysis question...

is there a sequence a_n for which |a_n| doesn't converge but a_n does?

I don't think so...??

EDIT: Also, is the following a correct definition of a_n is not null
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle \exists \episilon > 0 s.t \forall N \in \mathbb{N}, \exists n > N s.t |a_n|> \episilon

. I don't think so, because it looks like a_n = 1/n might satisfy this definition, but I'm not sure.

I think you're right.

Time to practice some latex.

Suppose anaa_n \rightarrow a

ϵ>0,NN\forall \epsilon>0, \exists N \in N such that ana<ϵ,n>N |a_n-a|<\epsilon ,\forall n>N

Then by the reverse triangle inequality ana<ϵ,n>N||a_n| - |a||< \epsilon, \forall n>N

Hence ana |a_n| \rightarrow |a|

Is this right?
Reply 10
Original post by PhyMath
I think you're right.

Time to practice some latex.

Suppose anaa_n \rightarrow a

ϵ>0,NN\forall \epsilon>0, \exists N \in N such that ana<ϵ,n>N |a_n-a|<\epsilon ,\forall n>N

Then by the reverse triangle inequality ana<ϵ,n>N||a_n| - |a||< \epsilon, \forall n>N

Hence ana |a_n| \rightarrow |a|

Is this right?

Yeah, this is the way I did it. Although admittedly I was trying to prove ||a_n|-a|<|a_n-a|, which isn't quite right.
I've done all the questions from Foundations/Analysis now from the booklet the MORSE society gave - I think I am gonna upload a few answers to here later but it'll take absolutely ages to latex all of them :\
All 89 True/False questions from section 2.1.1 of the booklet from the MORSE Society:

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by matt2k8
it'll take absolutely ages to latex all of them :\

Lol, be grateful you don't have to do the ST113 programming mathematica/LaTeX assignment this Christmas! :P
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
Lol, be grateful you don't have to do the ST113 programming mathematica/LaTeX assignment this Christmas! :P

Be grateful I'm not a stats student or that I don't have to do loads of LaTeX'ing? :tongue:
Reply 15
Be grateful you're not latexing the booklet? :P
Original post by Narev
Be grateful you're not latexing the booklet? :P

Good point :smile:
Reply 17
2.72 is false. let a(n)=1 for n even and a(n)=-1 for n odd, then lim inf(a) is not eq to lim sup(a) but it's sum is conditional convergent. :smile:
Original post by yeohaikal
2.72 is false. let a(n)=1 for n even and a(n)=-1 for n odd, then lim inf(a) is not eq to lim sup(a) but it's sum is conditional convergent. :smile:

In your example the sequence of partial sums just oscillated between -1 and 0 so the series doesn't converge - I said it was true as it's required that (an)0(a_n) \rightarrow 0 for the series Σan\Sigma a_n to converge, but if limsup anliminf an lim \sup \ a_n \not= \lim \inf \ a_n then (an)(a_n) does not converge to any limit
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Q5 is true.. by giving a strict inequality, it just gives a stronger (sufficient) definition of not null, though definitely not necessary. is that right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending