The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by House of Jonny
oh yeah it has. My mind is all over place :tongue:

Awww lol have you got exams as well in jan?
I'm a PS helper for people applying to do biomedical sciences if there's any applicants here... :erm:

Oh and for people revising: http://www.medicalmnemonics.com/cgi-bin/customize.cfm
You might find it handy.
Reply 62
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
I'm a PS helper for people applying to do biomedical sciences if there's any applicants here... :erm:

Oh and for people revising: http://www.medicalmnemonics.com/cgi-bin/customize.cfm
You might find it handy.

That website sounds familiar, hmmm :holmes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 63
Hello,

I´d like to join the group, I am a BSc Biological Sciences student from Buenos Aires, Argentina, looking forward to studying MSc and doing my PhD in Europe in the future in the field of Immunology and Immunology of Cancer probably.

Original post by House of Jonny
Hello. Welcome to the Biomedical Society. This society is dedicated to Biomedical Science Students,Graduates and applicants.

Why not introduce yourself and share more in the group on this thread. This group although dedicated to Biomed Students is for people of related subjects and disciplines such as Biochemistry,Genetics etc....

So please make yourself at home. This is a moderated group meaning that unless you are invited you will have to wait for your join requests to be processed. Also post in the thread if you can notifying us of you request to join. Either way it doesnt matter but it is a helluva lot quicker

Have Fun

Jonathan
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 64
i'm studyin biomedical too
I;d love to be invited :biggrin:
i'm pretty much enjoying it right now, but only worry is what are the job offers for this after graduation?
Reply 65
:smile: Hello to everyone. Didn't think there would be so many Biomeds.
Original post by Susanoo
That website sounds familiar, hmmm :holmes:

Thanks for it :biggrin:
Original post by Gamewizard
Awww lol have you got exams as well in jan?

Yep. :yep: Ones I have not revised for :shudder:
Original post by maromad89
Hello,

I´d like to join the group, I am a BSc Biological Sciences student from Buenos Aires, Argentina, looking forward to studying MSc and doing my PhD in Europe in the future in the field of Immunology and Immunology of Cancer probably.

Cool, my immunology lecturer is from/trained in Buenos Aires!!
Reply 69
Hey, that´s great! What´s his/her name? Do you know?

Original post by Jack7Richards
Cool, my immunology lecturer is from/trained in Buenos Aires!!
Hey, that´s great! What´s his/her name? Do you know?

Dr Julia-rey Norres

apprently she worked at a lab in an air base then did her PhD in Switzerland
Reply 71
Great! She studied her BSc in Biochemistry in the same building I work nowadays. Good to know that there are some compatriots out there in Europe doing Immunology.

Dr Julia-rey Norres

apprently she worked at a lab in an air base then did her PhD in Switzerland
Reply 72
Original post by robinson999
i'm a biomed student :puppyeyes: final year where all the work is

Hi, ive got a year left -

applying for biomedical - is there a good job prospect after this degree?
Original post by Roxxxxxxy
Hi, ive got a year left -

applying for biomedical - is there a good job prospect after this degree?

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_biomedical_sciences_career_areas.htm

What route are you thinking of going down career wise? (NHS, medical, research etc....)
Reply 74
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_biomedical_sciences_career_areas.htm

What route are you thinking of going down career wise? (NHS, medical, research etc....)

thats brilliant! Thanks a million:smile::smile:
Reply 75
Now that we have our Biomedicine thread, could you name me the top 6 or 7 universities for biomedicine / molecular medicine ?

Would I be close If I said:

Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, King´s, Manchester, Bristol & Edinburgh?? (Do you think Dundee or York are better than any of those?).

If you know about the situation in other countries of Europe, it would be really helpful as well... (Specially for Switzerland, Germany or France)...
Now that we have our Biomedicine thread, could you name me the top 6 or 7 universities for biomedicine / molecular medicine ?

Would I be close If I said:

Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, King´s, Manchester, Bristol & Edinburgh?? (Do you think Dundee or York are better than any of those?).

If you know about the situation in other countries of Europe, it would be really helpful as well... (Specially for Switzerland, Germany or France)...

In Europe:

Cambridge,
Oxford,
Karolinska Institute (Sweden),
Imperial.
ETH Zurich (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology) (Switzerland),
Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg (Germany),
University of Amsterdam (Netherlands),
UCL
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (Germany),
Uppsala University (Sweden),
University of Zurich (Switzerland),
University of Copenhagen (Denmark),
etc?
Reply 77
That is PERFECT!!! Now that you mention this, I´d like to ask you what do you think of Gottingen, Bonn (Germany) Uni of Geneva and Uni of Lausanne (from Switzerland) and Edinburgh, Manchester, Bristol? Those seem to be below the level of that list, do you think I´d be right in stating this?

More suggestions would be great, so we can all have a bigger panorama of Biomedicine situation in Europe:

Original post by hollywoodbudgie
In Europe:

Cambridge,
Oxford,
Karolinska Institute (Sweden),
Imperial.
ETH Zurich (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology) (Switzerland),
Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg (Germany),
University of Amsterdam (Netherlands),
UCL
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (Germany),
Uppsala University (Sweden),
University of Zurich (Switzerland),
University of Copenhagen (Denmark),
etc?
That is PERFECT!!! Now that you mention this, I´d like to ask you what do you think of Gottingen, Bonn (Germany) Uni of Geneva and Uni of Lausanne (from Switzerland) and Edinburgh, Manchester, Bristol? Those seem to be below the level of that list, do you think I´d be right in stating this?

More suggestions would be great, so we can all have a bigger panorama of Biomedicine situation in Europe:

After doing some more research, I ended up making this list for biomedical sciences:

Spoiler

At the end of the day, league tables are very subjective, and I'm personally quite against them.

You should make your own 'league table' because the ones you find on the net compare a lot of things that may not be very important for you, for instance, the grades the people need to go to the university often has an equal weighting as the research quality of the university in these league tables.

Edinburgh, Manchester & Bristol are very good UK universities, so I realised there must have been something wrong with the first list before. Then again, I'm not sure they deserve to be as high as they are in this list.

Uni of Lausanne, from Switzerland is a good university, but there are many better universities at Switzerland for our course.
I don't have clue about Bonn (Germany) and the Uni of Geneva though. :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by OneBeanLescott

Original post by OneBeanLescott
Name: Luke

Uni: Brunel

Course: Biomedical science (human health)

Plans for the future after your degree: After stuggling with the first term, anything in a hospital is out of the question, to be truthful I might actually switch to sports therapy or physiotherapy in september. I did really want to do this degree and if I didnt find it like I was fighting to keep my head above water, I'd love it. I would like to do something in terms of nutrition/ dietetics or the human body like bones, possibly sporting injuries :s-smilie:

A level grades: N/A ... did a BTEC National Diploma, got Distinction, Distinction, Distinction

OO *sigh* I have applied for the same course for entry 2011 but according to what u ve just described am a bit worried. I cant believe you had great interest in the course which is why you applied for it and now you want to study something different. The first year must be really difficult i guess. I wanted to ask you what puts you soo off the course? As I mentioned earlier I have applied for human health as well but now I somehow want to to swap it for immunology, do you think that is a possible? Thanks in advance

Latest