The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

First year Analysis/Foundations January Exam 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by matt2k8
In your example the sequence of partial sums just oscillated between -1 and 0 so the series doesn't converge - I said it was true as it's required that (an)0(a_n) \rightarrow 0 for the series Σan\Sigma a_n to converge, but if limsup anliminf an lim \sup \ a_n \not= \lim \inf \ a_n then (an)(a_n) does not converge to any limit

am i have a conceptual error if i say that 'a conditionally convergent sequence is convergent'? having said that, i can see your point. just would like to clarify.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 21
i think u're missing out a power of n on the -1 for the solution in qns 6. btw, a_n=ln(n)/n is another solution since a_2=a_4 and a_3 is greater than both.
Reply 22
can i request an example for the truth of 32?
Original post by yeohaikal

an=2+2na_n = 2 + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{n} is always irrational but tends to 2. Fixed question 6 as well btw, thanks :smile:
Reply 24

an=22na_n=\dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2^n}
Q5 is true.. by giving a strict inequality, it just gives a stronger (sufficient) definition of not null, though definitely not necessary. is that right?

Yeah that condition is definitely sufficient to show it's not null but I'm not sure about if for it to be considered a definition it also has to be a neccasary condition

am i have a conceptual error if i say that 'a conditionally convergent sequence is convergent'? having said that, i can see your point. just would like to clarify.

The phrase conditionally convergent refers to series where Σan\Sigma |a_n| diverges but Σan \Sigma a_n converges, not anything to do with sequences
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
When is the exam?
Original post by Apex9
When is the exam?

Wednesday afternoon, first week back
Reply 28
Original post by matt2k8
Wednesday afternoon, first week back

Thanks.
"Question 1" Foundations Questions from MORSE Booklet - left out the induction section as it's easy to tell if it's right or wrong.
Questions up to 31 are in spoilers below - 32 are in PDF file attached
Basics:

Spoiler

Subgroups:

Spoiler

Sets, Venn Diagrams:

Spoiler

Remainder Theorem:

Spoiler

Pascal's Triangle:

Spoiler

Injections and Surjections:

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
Ok.. Here's a list of a few more stuff I want to clarify:

Q33. FALSE. Can I have a counterexample? Because I thought the restriction of a_n being positive decreasing and null makes it true?

Q45. FALSE. I think False is right but your counterexample is not a correct counterexample because a_n tends to 1? I think we are looking for a_n that does not converge. My counterexample is a_n=(n-2)^2. Since there exists an N=2 s.t. abs(a_2-0)=0<epsilon for all epsilon>0, but a_n does not tend to 0.

Q67. I know that it's out of syllabus, but just for discussion sake, doesn't the example a_n=10+(1/n) show that it's false?

thats abt it. anyways, thx for putting up e solns!
Reply 31
W.R.T. Foundations questions, here's some things I want to point out..

1.11. You're missing the other half of De Morgan's Laws. They come as a pair. (A union B)^c=A^c intersect B^c. help me do the latex-ing please. :P

1.22. Definition of Remainder theorem is missing out the fact that we are only talking about the reals.. Or does it not matter? Because I'm sure there are some values of P(alpha) that do not exist in say the naturals or integers or rationals.
Have let one of my friends borrow my answers until tommorow so no more will be typed tonight
Ok.. Here's a list of a few more stuff I want to clarify:

Q33. FALSE. Can I have a counterexample? Because I thought the restriction of a_n being positive decreasing and null makes it true?

Q45. FALSE. I think False is right but your counterexample is not a correct counterexample because a_n tends to 1? I think we are looking for a_n that does not converge. My counterexample is a_n=(n-2)^2. Since there exists an N=2 s.t. abs(a_2-0)=0<epsilon for all epsilon>0, but a_n does not tend to 0.

Q67. I know that it's out of syllabus, but just for discussion sake, doesn't the example a_n=10+(1/n) show that it's false?

thats abt it. anyways, thx for putting up e solns!

Q33 - an=1/na_n = 1/n
Q45 - thanks, don't know what I was thinking with that one haha :smile: fixed
Q67 - thanks, fixed it now, wasn't paying much attention as I don't know much about lim sup
(edited 13 years ago)
W.R.T. Foundations questions, here's some things I want to point out..

1.11. You're missing the other half of De Morgan's Laws. They come as a pair. (A union B)^c=A^c intersect B^c. help me do the latex-ing please. :P

1.22. Definition of Remainder theorem is missing out the fact that we are only talking about the reals.. Or does it not matter? Because I'm sure there are some values of P(alpha) that do not exist in say the naturals or integers or rationals.

1.11 Thanks, fixed now, was having troubles with LaTeX so forgot it haha

1.22 it doesn't matter, in the lecture notes it says it's true as long as the coefficients belong to any field.
Reply 34
Am I right in saying the past papers worth doing go back to 2006?
Q67. I know that it's out of syllabus

So we don't need to know about lim-sup and lim-inf?
It worried me quite a lot, when reading about them in the maths society revision guide, because I was sure we hadn't even had those words so much as mentioned in lectures! :biggrin:

yeohaikal
(A union B)^c=A^c intersect B^c

For the LaTeXing, all you need is to put [&latex&] and [&\latex&] at the beginning and end, removing the ampersand 'and' signs.
And then everything you've written is cool, apart from change union to \cup and intersect to \cap :h:

In fact, if you hover over (or click on) any LaTeX output on here, it displays the input, which is quite handy.
(A \cup B)^c=A^c \cap B^c
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
So we don't need to know about lim-sup and lim-inf?
It worried me quite a lot, when reading about them in the maths society revision guide, because I was sure we hadn't even had those words so much as mentioned in lectures! :biggrin:

It's not in any of the workbooks given to maths students, and my class tutor cut the lim sup/lim inf questions out of this activity we did doing questions from a past paper so I am 99.9% sure we don't need to know about it
Original post by matt2k8
It's not in any of the workbooks given to maths students, and my class tutor cut the lim sup/lim inf questions out of this activity we did doing questions from a past paper so I am 99.9% sure we don't need to know about it

Cheers; that's slightly comforting.
Though, having had a quick glance at the stuff about it, I can't see there was anything particularly mind-bending about it or whatever to warrant removing it from the syllabus :iiam:
Reply 38
It'll probably come out in Analysis II...I wish I knew how to use LaTeX...
Original post by Narev
I wish I knew how to use LaTeX...

Lawl, is this a desperate attempt to hide who you are?! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest