The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by n_251
To be fair, however, places like LSE and most Cambridge colleges would prefer Further Maths over Chemistry any day. Whereas, it is universally accepted Business Studies and Economics is not a good combination to have for most, if not all, Unis.

I see you study Eco at cambridge, how tough has it been so far? :wink:
Reply 781
Original post by Firaila
I see you study Eco at cambridge, how tough has it been so far? :wink:

I'd say the content hasn't been too challenging so far but what I have found a big challenge is the workload. It also doesn't help that I have to complete a compulsory modules in Econ History which, up till now, has been dull to put it mildly!

Ah, I see you made the mistake of applying to Oxford - consider yourself lucky that you aren't going to go there; you should have applied to Cambridge :p:
Reply 782
Original post by n_251
I'd say the content hasn't been too challenging so far but what I have found a big challenge is the workload. It also doesn't help that I have to complete a compulsory modules in Econ History which, up till now, has been dull to put it mildly!

Ah, I see you made the mistake of applying to Oxford - consider yourself lucky that you aren't going to go there; you should have applied to Cambridge :p:

The lack of a massive workload may turn out to be a relief :moon:
Original post by pow!
how do you know, have you got a contact within every university's admissions department? the speaker at oxford's E&M open day clearly stated they strongly prefer candidates to have, and i quote, taken something like maths and chemistry over taking maths and further maths.

No, but considering A level Maths is a requirement for most unis, and Further Maths is a preferred subject (for LSE and Warwick for example), I think I have reason to believe they are not considered to overlap as Economics and Business Studies (which no uni advises taking together) might. Having said that, your criticism could easily have been well spent on the guy I quoted earlier too.

Original post by teshnit
I said said they are one subject, however i did say or at least attempted to say was FM and Maths overlap in showing mathematical ability, its definitely an extension, and shows you got a strongER maths ability, but some universities like to see a balance of ability.

I agree completely. That is why people take 3-4 A levels. But Maths & Further Maths does not count as one, it counts as two.
Reply 784
Original post by Chelle-belle
Maths and Further Maths do not overlap in the same way Economics and Business Studies might, and they are certainly not considered as one subject.

If you know the system of mathematics A level then you would realise that maths and further maths are really quite different. You take 6 modules in maths A level, the modules must come from Core maths, Statistics, Mechanics and decision mathematics. If you take Further maths then you take a further 6 modules of mathematics, 2 in Further Pure mathematics, and 4 in modules that you have not taken e.g if youve done Mechanics 1 in normal maths then you can take M2 and M3. So in further maths not only do you take 2 modules of a completely different kind of mathematics, you also take modules that are much tougher and more developed than the normal maths A-level. If your doing a degree with maths involved then much of what you might cover in further maths is covered at Uni, (generally in the first year), which is why students who have taken further maths have an advantage and is also why universities rate it quite highly.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 785
Offer from Sheffield - ABB
So Happy! :biggrin:
Reply 786
Offer from york -AB and Kent -BB :biggrin: (I already have an A)
I got these a while back but they made me happy.
Now its just the waiting game for the rest. . .
Original post by rachael92
Offer from york -AB and Kent -BB :biggrin: (I already have an A)
I got these a while back but they made me happy.
Now its just the waiting game for the rest. . .

hey I have an unconditional from York for the same course as u :smile: and also waiting on Bath for economics... good luck :smile:
Reply 788
Original post by winter_fairy
hey I have an unconditional from York for the same course as u :smile: and also waiting on Bath for economics... good luck :smile:

Ohh well done! There are only meant to be a few people on that course aswell so thats strange! Is york one you want to go to or are you still not sure?
You to!
Reply 789
Im getting worried because i sent my off on the 18th of october and have still only heard from one uni!

all L100:

loughborough - offer AAB (received within 2 weeks)
birmingham - waiting
bath - waiting
bristol - waiting
nottingham - waiting

GCSES 7*'s 2A's, AS 4 A's, A2 predicted A*A*A
:frown:
Original post by rachael92
Ohh well done! There are only meant to be a few people on that course aswell so thats strange! Is york one you want to go to or are you still not sure?
You to!

actually you're the first person other than me i see applying for this course at york :biggrin: so strange indeed
well, bath has always been my first choice, even when oxford was still in contention. but i'm still undecided where to go if bath don't give me an offer, so hopefully they will :P
i guess also see u sometime in the autumn, there's quite a chance for that :smile:
Reply 791
Warwick - A*AA :smile:
Reply 792
Original post by CNM10
Im getting worried because i sent my off on the 18th of october and have still only heard from one uni!

all L100:

loughborough - offer AAB (received within 2 weeks)
birmingham - waiting
bath - waiting
bristol - waiting
nottingham - waiting

GCSES 7*'s 2A's, AS 4 A's, A2 predicted A*A*A
:frown:

can i ask why you didn't apply to the likes of LSE/warwick/UCL surely you had a good chance of getting in?
Reply 793
Course: Economics
University: Warwick
Offer: A*AAA

Hoping to pick up anyone rejected possibly???
Reply 794
Original post by Vav123
can i ask why you didn't apply to the likes of LSE/warwick/UCL surely you had a good chance of getting in?

LSE and UCL mainly because i dont want to stay in london, also i would like to think i could get in but seeing on here some people who had even higher grades than me got rejected i wasnt sure i would!
Original post by daman616
Offer from Sheffield - ABB
So Happy! :biggrin:

yayyy well done! i got a sheffield offer too! :biggrin:D
is it your first choice?
Original post by Firaila
Warwick - A*AA :smile:

Congrats man

Did they ask for anything in AS Further Maths?
Reply 797
Original post by Unknown-User
Congrats man

Did they ask for anything in AS Further Maths?

Thanks

the offer excluded AS further maths, they say they want an A in a fourth AS level (English for me)
Original post by Firaila
Thanks

the offer excluded AS further maths, they say they want an A in a fourth AS level (English for me)

Oh, thats good.

Congrats again, I guess i'll be waiting a little longer for Warwick to reply /:
Did LSE or UCL already send out their offers ?

Latest

Trending

Trending