The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Gay at UEA

I'm a little worried. I've done lots of research on the university and it seems like a lovely place. I'll be applying for the business school to do management however I'm a little concerned about some storied I've heard about abuse.

I'm gay, so I'm looking for some students to tell me the social scene is safe up there and everyone gets on. :smile:

Anyone care to help?
Reply 1
Original post by reeces101
I'm a little worried. I've done lots of research on the university and it seems like a lovely place. I'll be applying for the business school to do management however I'm a little concerned about some storied I've heard about abuse.

I'm gay, so I'm looking for some students to tell me the social scene is safe up there and everyone gets on. :smile:

Anyone care to help?

My flatmate is gay, and he's had no abuse, and hes having a great time from he tells us. What are these stories?

Plays football too and the team don't bat an eyelid. Tbh, most people wouldn't, although 2 of my flatmates don't like him just because he's gay, but **** them

UEA pride have quite an active social calendar too by the looks of it: http://www.ueapride.co.uk/

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 2
Yeh I've just heard lots of stories about stuff like that... randomly not being liked because you're gay but I'll take your word for it. UEA does seem like a lovely university!
I'm not exactly one of those stereotypical melodramatic gay people so I guess all should be fine.

Thanks a lot! :smile:
Reply 3
I'll just add that Norwich is a very safe city too, and there are a few places around the city (You'll get to know them) which are actively and openly gay-friendly!

In general though I've found the city to be very accepting regardless of sexuality :-)
Reply 4
Thanks for the extra info :smile: Really is going to help when making my firm!

Have a great new years!
Reply 5
Pretty sure you go to Uni to get an education not find love! lol

Seriously nobody has any problems here in regards to there gender, race, religion or sexual preference!!
Reply 6
Original post by pjharb2010
Reece I have the exact same problem as you... I wanna study Computer Systems Engineering at UEA in September 2011 - got an offer from them for BBB but your question applies to me too - I'm scared of peoples opinions when or if I go to UEA... I'm also wondering if I'll find the right person there - as I have not yet, at all hehe.

Yeh it's really tough. All I can say is I've read practically all the reviews on www.whatuni.com, I've got in touch with members of the LGB group/current students, and I've done a load of asking on TSR, and my findings have been pretty good. One thing that does jump out is the amount of people bragging about all the attractive "fanny" at UEA. But I'm sure that just comes down to bad English and a few immature students as any university will have.

PM me if you wanna chat. We're all in the same boat after all :smile:
Reply 7
You're going to find LGBT-phobia in most places, it depends who you meet. But universities are generally the most accepting environments. You meet LGBT people and allies all over the place, or at least I have.

My experience has been unusual, perhaps, because by coincidence there's three other LGBT folk in the flat next door and at least another four or five that I've met through classes or non-LGBT social events. You'll probably find that people are more open about their sexualities at uni than they are at school and college; I don't think I ever had to ask any of these people about anything sexuality or relationship related to find out they were LGBT. They all mentioned it themselves as if it were nothing special at all, which of course it isn't.

Every two weeks or so the gay guy next door comes home from a night out in Norwich with a new guy's number. He achieves this because he's an outgoing flirt of course, but it goes to show that the LGBT population isn't terribly limited if you put yourself out there to find them. And if you end up in a position like mine, you don't even have to go find them... 2 of the 3 next door are now my best friends. On the whole, UEA doesn't seem much different to most other universities.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
UEA is a nice gay friendly uni and so is Norwich! You can go to the Castle!

But don't bother doing a business course there, cos i do one and its extremely boring
Reply 9
Original post by i1cox
UEA is a nice gay friendly uni and so is Norwich! You can go to the Castle!

But don't bother doing a business course there, cos i do one and its extremely boring

Okay, I'm hoping to do business management there. Can you give me a bit more info on what the course is like? Why in particular do you find it boring?

Reply 10
Okay, I'm hoping to do business management there. Can you give me a bit more info on what the course is like? Why in particular do you find it boring?

It is just so, so dull. I think it's because it's so similar to business studies A-Level. I love the uni, just hatin' on 2 hour lectures about 'personality' or 'the history of accounting'
Reply 11
Original post by i1cox
It is just so, so dull. I think it's because it's so similar to business studies A-Level. I love the uni, just hatin' on 2 hour lectures about 'personality' or 'the history of accounting'

Ah okay :/ What year are you in? I understand the first year is a foundation year to get everyone upto speed so if so it's likely you're just redoing what you already know perhaps?
Reply 12
Ah okay :/ What year are you in? I understand the first year is a foundation year to get everyone upto speed so if so it's likely you're just redoing what you already know perhaps?

Yeah I'm a fresher so maybe :smile:

Anyone care to help?

You'll be fine! Norwich is my home town and it's a lovely place- you'll feel really welcome and nobody will hate on you because you're gay.
Reply 14
tbh wherever you go some people won't like you because you're gay. Normally the worse abuse the less reported and less heard as well.
Reply 15
Original post by veux
tbh wherever you go some people won't like you because you're gay. Normally the worse abuse the less reported and less heard as well.

Naturally, but some places have wider acceptance than others. For example, I hear Nottingham is quite bad for street crime on LGB members. However, Brighton is really safe being the gay capital as such.

Anyway, thanks for all the replied :smile: Really helped clear the air!
Reply 16
Haha I actually run the LGBT soc ...UEAPride [well gender and sexuality peer support technically] this year, and will prob be invovled next year. We have loads of events on and most places are friendly even the non-gay specific ones. Feel free to PM me anything more specific :smile: Norwich is much more liberal than I ever expected it to be to be quite honest .
Reply 17
Ohhh what a bundle of joy you are!
hehe that rhymes
Reply 19
you'll be fine :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending