The Student Room Group

Ever had a shocking moment to do with an offer?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jayryan13
In the end I never took him up on it, went to do Economics through clearing instead. Kinda wish I'd took the offer now though, I really wanted to go to Royal Holloway and its probably quite a bit better than the university I'm at now.

Don't get caught up in the stress and manickness that is clearing folks.

Oh, Clearing was fine once I shut my mother out of the room. :lol:
In the end I never took him up on it, went to do Economics through clearing instead. Kinda wish I'd took the offer now though, I really wanted to go to Royal Holloway and its probably quite a bit better than the university I'm at now.

Don't get caught up in the stress and manickness that is clearing folks.

Is Clearing THAT bad? I've heard so many horror stories! I can imagine it being especially awful this year.
*Subscribes*
Original post by i.am.lost
Oh, and at my UCL interview I managed to negotiate down my offer from "AAA-AAB" to just AB :yep:
Haha, I like you!
Reply 164
Original post by diamonddust
Ouch! What a COW! You are a bit amazing! :biggrin:
I have to laugh at Chemistry now! :tongue:

Haha! Was it something like 'I'd rather die than do this Chemistry exam?'
Because that's more... true than emo haha! But that's hilarious! I didn't know exam boards could do that! :biggrin:

I believe that was one of the lines I used, what I wrote was highly embarassing and personal!
I was off my head literally, I was on anti-depressants at the time and it used to make me feel so :s-smilie:
Of course I mentioned this all to the examiner in my "dear diary" entry LOL.

Thankfully my health has since improved greatly, and i'm planning to write real answers this time round :biggrin:
Is Clearing THAT bad? I've heard so many horror stories! I can imagine it being especially awful this year.

Define bad.

It's busy and you have to behave like an army official, but is that bad...? :dontknow:
Reply 166

I'd say its mostly down to luck.

Its stressful because you know as time goes by on the day places are going fast, but when you ring up you constantly get a busy tone, it rings out, or you get put in a never ending queue, which isn't the nice never ending story type queue . By the time you get through for somewhere you really want to go after an hour of trying, the places have all gone. It's mega stressful. Unless you get lucky and get through in the first hour! It took me 6 hours straight to get my offer, after trying about 20 places.
Reply 167
Original post by TheSownRose
Oh, Clearing was fine once I shut my mother out of the room. :lol:

I made sure I didn't speak to or see mine until I had an offer :tongue:

Mums added stress value is really not needed on results day :rolleyes:

Its stressful because you know as time goes by on the day places are going fast, but when you ring up you constantly get a busy tone, it rings out, or you get put in a never ending queue, which isn't the nice never ending story type queue . By the time you get through for somewhere you really want to go after an hour of trying, the places have all gone. It's mega stressful. Unless you get lucky and get through in the first hour! It took me 6 hours straight to get my offer, after trying about 20 places.

That doesn't sound good at all. Did you try getting multiple people calling?

I made sure I didn't speak to or see mine until I had an offer :tongue:

Mums added stress value is really not needed on results day :rolleyes:

:biggrin: Wish I had. Dad, fine. Me, fine. Mum, running around frantically asking why the man hadn't phoned back ten minutes later on that same Monday when he said Thursday.
Reply 169
That doesn't sound good at all. Did you try getting multiple people calling?

:biggrin: Wish I had. Dad, fine. Me, fine. Mum, running around frantically asking why the man hadn't phoned back ten minutes later on that same Monday when he said Thursday.

I wish I could of got people calling for me, but they were all in the pub! Didn't help my case when everyone else was out celebrating their offers when I was still calling trying to get one :-/

:tongue: Thats mums for you!
It all started with me having my firm and insurance as the same grade.
Nott as ABC/BBB and Sheff as BBB.

I was so sure that I'd definitely get ABC but the night before my most important exam, I had a major argument with my ex who just broke up with me a couple of days before that until late into the night and the exam was at 9am :frown:

I got a D in that exam and missed my offer by 11 marks.

Phoned up Nottingham and they just told me that I was rejected, even though, I phoned up trying to change their mind.
I asked if they had any other courses in clearing etc. I must have sounded so desperate for a place lol.
After a bit of thinking...and persuasion of other people. I decided on a gap year.
Phone up Nott to ask if they will still consider me and they said yes.

After a few days of hearing about how everyone is so excited about uni on facebook.
I phoned up NTU for a place...but I was too late.
I asked for Spanish and Chinese but they were going to offer me German and Chinese...considering I have no interest in German.

Anyway, here I am now with two offers from Nottingham.
Though, all the excitement about uni from last year is gone when I saw the word "unsuccessful" on the result day.
Just didn't want to get my hope up too high again :/

Sorry if this sounds depressing lol.
Define bad.

It's busy and you have to behave like an army official, but is that bad...? :dontknow:

Sounds like an absolute nightmare to me! Maybe because I have a bit of a phobia of talking to people on the phone? :redface:

Ouch. Sounds ridiculously stressful! You must have felt so relieved when you got your offer though!
Reply 172
I got rejected after interviews last yr from Med. Decided to apply to Pharmacy thur clearing. I applied to Strath who emailed me and saud they didnt have any places left even if it showed so on UCAS. I thought "to h#"% with the UK". Will jst stay here in Sweden and freeze. I pretty much gave up. Anyhu, sometime in June, i get an email from ucas that strathy had given me an offer with very low conditions!!!. Instead of being happy, I became so angry as to why they hadnt told me earlier so I could prepare maself. I turned it down coz i was unprepared and stupid stupid dummie foolish. I regret til 2day.

Ive re-applied and if Med doesnt work, Am sure doin Pharmacy(jst hope i get in)
Reply 173
I got rejected after interviews last yr from Med. Decided to apply to Pharmacy thur clearing. I applied to Strath who emailed me and saud they didnt have any places left even if it showed so on UCAS. I thought "to h#"% with the UK". Will jst stay here in Sweden and freeze. I pretty much gave up. Anyhu, sometime in June, i get an email from ucas that strathy had given me an offer with very low conditions!!!. Instead of being happy, I became so angry as to why they hadnt told me earlier so I could prepare maself. I turned it down coz i was unprepared and stupid stupid dummie foolish. I regret til 2day.

Ive re-applied and if Med doesnt work, Am sure doin Pharmacy(jst hope i get in)
Quite allot of people phoning up to see if they have a place..is this common ? I'm still praying for a bath offer, might be worth a try...
Reply 175
I got a track update when I was on train on 15th October, only a few days after I had sent off my application. I could see that there was an update on my phone but not what it was. I had to sit on the train for an hour and then in a car for another hour knowing someone had rejected me. Instead it turned out to be a very nice offer of BBB for my back up course. :biggrin: It wasn't that shocking but those two hours were evil trying to work out which uni had rejected me so early on
Reply 176
I went through clearing in summer '09, and it really wasnt horrific at all. I made a list of uni's in preference that were in UCAS clearing, got all their phone numbers and then just went down the list until I had an offer. I ended up with two offers, and accepted one from UWE. It was really odd because considering how competitive clearing is supposed to be, the admissions tutor there sounded REALLY enthusiastic on the phone to give me an offer once he had seen my application. I think I was just very lucky to be honest!
Reply 177
Just a quick question - has anybody ever managed to get a place after having been rejected, before clearing that is?
Sounds like an absolute nightmare to me! Maybe because I have a bit of a phobia of talking to people on the phone? :redface:

Oh, you'll get used to that. :wink:
Reply 179
Getting an unconditional from Aberdeen was fairly surprising. I was expecting an offer, as I was predicted AAAB and the entry requirements were CCC, so if I'd been rejected I would have been surprised but getting an unconditional was even more surprising. I wasn't complaining though :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest