The Student Room Group

Are there any truly 'bad' universities in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by Wozzie
So, if I don't agree with your opinion (that you put forward as fact) that's just my opinion and I should shut up?

Hypocrite much? :rolleyes:

Christ you also have issues with reading? I was talking about your opinion on Oxbridge being resented and your opinion of the Times, not the stuff afterwards. Stop making a mountain out of a molehill like I was calling your criticism of the study itself opinion, I wasn't. I put forward a study(fair enough you disagree with it, we can actually debate it) to support my opinion as fact, you didn't, that is what I was calling you out for.

Nobody was talking about "perception" nobody cares about perception arguing over perception is like arguing over which lie is more true, you'd have to be ****ing insane or in a field tripping on LSD to find value in that.

Since you are saying perception is meaningless, do you automatically discredit every perception based study out there? Because that is what this is, a perception based study.

Also you presented nothing, what do you want me to say?

I'm sorry I don't accept everything on face value. I'm sorry I actually read a report when it's presented to me. I'm sorry when someone presents themselves as an authority I try to find out who they are, who they know and what they know.

A study can be made to show whatever you want it to show it's just a matter of asking the right questions.

Well yes, I never questioned your right to question the study I quoted, hence why I did not respond with "how dare you question this", I merely questioned your criticism of it. Its called debate, where we don't start ranting and throwing toys out of prams and going on slippery slopes if we get called out over an opinion we tried to throw as fact to discredit the other side.

As for The Times, I'm actually a subscriber so I believe I have every right to comment on the puerile *******s they spread across my screen on a daily basis (with a few notable exceptions).

It's not my fault that they use questionable criteria and questionable methodology every time they seem to rank anything, I'd like to have a concise measure of quality but that isn't what The Times offer and I'm fairly sure the "leading" universities selected for "The Times Top 100 Employers" don't come from The Guardian so excuse me for being skeptical.

Again, unless you can prove to us categorically, and can hence present it as fact, that every study by the Times is dodgy at best you are just ranting right now.

I discredited the stats based on the stats, deal with it.

No, you discredited the study based on:
a) Everyone hates Oxbridge-your opinion
b) Its the Times so it must be dodgy-your opinion
c) Students questioned have no actual knowledge of employers to make a good call on what is a top employer-a fair point, to which I have pointed out that because this is a perception study, it does not need experienced people, much like NSS surveys and The Guardian league tables(in HE itself, there's other similar studies outside HE).
Reply 481
Original post by ChemistBoy
Having taken part in quite a few graduate recruitment events for my employer I'll tell you what is important:

1) A proactive organiser within the university.
2) Location relative to employer's offices/reimbursement policy for attend graduate recruitment events.
3) Prior contacts with universities/alumni on staff.
4) Size/notoriety of recruitment event.
5) Level of interest in the stand at previous year's event (if applicable).

That's what is important and why, for instance, Manchester has large well attended recruitment fairs and St Andrews doesn't. It isn't rocket surgery.

Finally a sensible reply. I am going to presume your employer here is actually a major name, not a small firm because that's not we've been discussing here.
1) Does your employer look to have a proactive presence at every campus?
2) Location doesn't explain why certain universities in London are unable to attract big names when places like Warwick do.
3) How do you judge the level of interest or look at prior contacts when you look to go somewhere for the first time?

I acknowledge that when the difference in university stature is small(like Manchester vs St Andrews) these would be your primary criteria, but when it is quite big(as it is with say LSE vs Greenwich Uni, or Oxford vs TVU), are these factors the only ones or do you not look at the prestige of the university when deciding what places to target?
Original post by TheSownRose
In the question: are there?

EDIT: If you're going to arbitrarily name a university, you have to justify why it's a truly bad uni. Them's the rules. :wink:

Loads:

Middlesex
South Bank
Surrey
Oxford Brooks
Hertfortshire
Kent
Greenwich
Manchester
Aberdeen
Brunel
Kingston
Original post by llpokermuffinll
Loads:

Middlesex
South Bank
Surrey
Oxford Brooks
Hertfortshire
Kent
Greenwich
Manchester
Aberdeen
Brunel
Kingston

You haven't justified a single one of them.
You haven't justified a single one of them.

All of them for the same reason: Crap reputation. You won't have a chance to get a job.
All of them for the same reason: Crap reputation. You won't have a chance to get a job.

You won't have a chance to get a job from Manchester, the most targeted uni? :lolwut:
You won't have a chance to get a job from Manchester, the most targeted uni? :lolwut:

What are you talking about? Manchester is some lower middle class uni and far from the top of UK.
Loads:

Middlesex
South Bank
Surrey
Oxford Brooks
Hertfortshire
Kent
Greenwich
Manchester
Aberdeen
Brunel
Kingston
Manchester, Kent, Surrey and Aberdeen aren't on the same 'awful' level as the others, no way. Most of the unis you've listed aren't awful. I'll give you Middlesex, South Bank, Greenwich and Kingston but even they're good for certain subjects. Oxford Brookes is getting better and Brunel is meant to be fairly good. Where are you getting this from?
Reply 488
Manchester Metropolitan.
We had to do an exam on computers, the system was down so we got the password for the online exam and did it at home. I googled all the answers and got almost 100% 8-) (didn't wanna make it too obvious)
So yeah, WIN
What are you talking about? Manchester is some lower middle class uni and far from the top of UK.

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/searchResults.do?pname=compare
Original post by diamonddust
Manchester, Kent, Surrey and Aberdeen aren't on the same 'awful' level as the others, no way. Most of the unis you've listed aren't awful. I'll give you Middlesex, South Bank, Greenwich and Kingston but even they're good for certain subjects. Oxford Brookes is getting better and Brunel is meant to be fairly good. Where are you getting this from?

Are you seriously telling me they are of the same standard as Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, LSE, Bristol, Bath,...?

What is this? Session expired. That happens if you chat ****!
Derby looks like an airport on the inside. Nuff said
What is this? Session expired. That happens if you chat ****!

It's not expired, and you are blatantly a troll.
Are you seriously telling me they are of the same standard as Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, LSE, Bristol, Bath,...?

Of course I'm not. All I'm saying is those universities aren't necessarily awful just because they're not the universities you mentioned above. There is somewhere in between world class and awful, you know.
Original post by angrydanmarin
Derby looks like an airport on the inside. Nuff said

My friend goes there and she got something like CDE and even she says it's ****! That's the sort of uni the Manchester hater should have put down on his list! How can you write a list of supposedly awful unis and put Manchester down but omit places like London Met and Derby? No offense meant to Derby or London Met students.
Reply 496
Hi to everyone here!!
i want some honest advice from all you wonderful people

Im on an access course expected high grades (Level 3 Units)
and i have applied for biomedical science in the following univerSitys on the 16/12/10
was i late? my ucas has been
processed and i have recieve tWo acknowledgment letters from hert (30.12.10) and roehamton(4.1.11) UNIS..
the five unis i applied for are...

1) hertfordshire
2) London Met
3) Kingston
4) Middlesex
6) Roehampton

(all registered with IBMS) for more benifits of employment post grad
thou i chosen biomedical science for an entry into medicine in the first place
it is just a nice feeeling having IBMS as my insaurance should i need to UTILIZE my bachelor degree
i dont know where i will be in 3 years..will i be able to apply for med? atleaset i am guaranted a job after 3yrs...(its my backup)

i have not recieved any offers yet..still waiting for my ucas confirmation letter too
I just find out all my chosen unis are all ex-polys...hmm

BUT WHICH UNIVERSITY IS BETTER according to YOUR KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE?
I HAVE LOOKED AT THE LEAGUE TABLE FOR THE BIOSCIENCES COURSES
AND MIDDLESEX SEEMS TO BE ABOVE/BETTER THAN MY OTHER CHOSEN UNI'S
PLUS WITH ALL THE COMPETITION GOING ON
I THOUGHT I'D RATHER GET 5 OR 4 accepetance than 5 OR 4 rejections
HENCE I CHOSE NOT to apply for THE BEST UNIS IN (london only)...
(I DONT WANT TO take the RISK OF HIGH UNI FEES COMING UP)
IN TERMS OF RESPECT WHICH UNI IS GOOD?
THE TRUTH IS I DONT WANT TO APPLY TO A UNI IN WHICH PEOPLE
LOOK DOWN ON...
I WANT TO BE ABLE TO TELL PEOPLE OF MY CHOSEN UNI AND NOT FEEL SHY ABOUT IT ...IF YOU UNDERSTAND MY POINT...

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
MUCH LOVE...!
Original post by ish90an
Finally a sensible reply. I am going to presume your employer here is actually a major name, not a small firm because that's not we've been discussing here.
1) Does your employer look to have a proactive presence at every campus?
2) Location doesn't explain why certain universities in London are unable to attract big names when places like Warwick do.
3) How do you judge the level of interest or look at prior contacts when you look to go somewhere for the first time?

I acknowledge that when the difference in university stature is small(like Manchester vs St Andrews) these would be your primary criteria, but when it is quite big(as it is with say LSE vs Greenwich Uni, or Oxford vs TVU), are these factors the only ones or do you not look at the prestige of the university when deciding what places to target?

Yes, they are a global corporate who employ a significant number of graduates in the UK. To answer your questions:

1) No, that would be too expensive.
2) But the other factors I mentioned may well do.
3) That is where the other factors I mentioned play more of a role, especially the first one.

Prestige really isn't a factor in the equation. We are predominately based in the midlands so we have our largest recruitment presence there, for example I know we recently had a recruitment stand at Derby Uni, but we have never had a stand at the LSE as far as I am aware (it would be very expensive and difficult to staff as our recruitment people are midlands-based).
Original post by Wookie42
For starters do you have any idea how much harder an Oxbridge student has to work than someone studying at say Sheffield Hallam? In all honesty though, I can't even be bothered to argue with someone who can't understand why a university that is internationally one of the best in the world is superior to one that is unheard of outside of Britain...

yeah i agree with wookie42 according to friends who are at cambridge now, each for different subjects at different colleges, they have to write two 4000-word essays every week not including other work/project they're thrown at. its pretty well known that the pressure at oxbridge is incredibly intense and each term is eight weeks long so professors try to cram everything into such a short space of time.
Reply 499
Original post by ChemistBoy
Yes, they are a global corporate who employ a significant number of graduates in the UK. To answer your questions:

1) No, that would be too expensive.
2) But the other factors I mentioned may well do.
3) That is where the other factors I mentioned play more of a role, especially the first one.

Prestige really isn't a factor in the equation. We are predominately based in the midlands so we have our largest recruitment presence there, for example I know we recently had a recruitment stand at Derby Uni, but we have never had a stand at the LSE as far as I am aware (it would be very expensive and difficult to staff as our recruitment people are midlands-based).

Surely it is far more difficult to find a proactive organiser at a place you haven't been to before, because you have no contacts and no people there?
Does your firm not feel that it may be losing out on potentially very bright graduates if they are not targeting certain courses/universities? Say you were one of the top IT firms in the world, surely instead of saying "we are based in Birmingham so we'll only recruit from the Midlands" it would be better to look at the best IT courses in the country and then work out if its feasible to go there? Cost is only so much a factor, Edinburgh's quite far out yet many London based employers target it instead of bigger places(like Liverpool) nearer to them(even if they take on just 1-2 Edinburgh graduates every year, so the prior contacts etc aren't exactly great), why do you think that is?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending