The Student Room Group

Looking for people to travel with.

Scroll to see replies

Same here, except I'm on a forced gap year, and my mates are at uni/are poor. I don't want to go on my own to a country where the language isn't English, and my French and German speaking skills are very limited. So I've given up on the idea of going away :/
Reply 21
Original post by microfatcat
Same here, except I'm on a forced gap year, and my mates are at uni/are poor. I don't want to go on my own to a country where the language isn't English, and my French and German speaking skills are very limited. So I've given up on the idea of going away :/

Don't give up on it, you'll only regret it.
It's a daunting risk, yes, but on I'm pretty confident will be well worth it in the end. :smile:
I wouldn't look on travelling solo as a last resort - I travel on my own fairly frequently and each time has been awesome! While I can see the attraction of going with a close friend from home, I don't see how going with an internet stranger would be any better/safer than just heading off on your own and meeting people along the way. It seems to me you'd have none of the advantages of travelling solo (ie complete independence and free choice to do what you want, when you want, and being forced to be more sociable and make friends) and none of the advantages of going with a friend (ie someone who you know really well and can rely on...because spending a lot of time with someone and/or being in stressful situations means unless you get along really well, you're almost certainly going to fall out). Also, couchsurfing.org is a really good way of meeting people in new cities (and you don't necessarily have to actually stay on someone's couch or anything, there are just events on in lots of places to help travellers meet each other and the locals regardless of your accomodation preferences). Good luck with whatever you decide :smile:

microfatcat

Just live a little and do it, you don't need to be fluent in three languages just to visit a bit of Europe! :smile:
Reply 23
Hey guys,

I'm in the same situation, out of sync with my friends who are all at uni already, working at the moment but intending to go to Thailand on my own at the beginning of February and spend up to five months in Asia depending how my money lasts! If anyone wants to meet up and travel together for a bit let me know.

I'm thinking potentially thailand, cambodia, burma and then india, nepal, china and back into south east asia from there, but am pretty chilled about it, might be less ambitious and stick to south east asia, possibly head to the philippines, just want to get away somewhere!
Reply 24
Original post by Gee-wa
Me too. My hometown is starting to feel like a prison and I don't want a wasted year weighing down on me like lead for the rest of my life.

I've searched through so many volunteer/work abroad sites and have encountered the same issues as you. I'm yet to find one I find truly reliable or that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (those hidden fees are a killer!). So I've lost quite a bit of faith.

Yeah, the interail looks great and definitely seems like a must-do for going round Europe.

Mmm, that element of risk is so daunting. Especially when you're so far from home. I think someday I'd definitely go it alone, but for my first independent trip abroad I'd definitely want some someone there or to go with.

Have you considered Asia at all? Europe is lovely but quite expensive, cold in winter and, I would assume, low on other backpackers at this time of year.
If you're interested I have found a few free and genuine volunteer opportunities in and around Thailand, http://www.isara.org/free-volunteer-programs/ for example. A few of my friends went out there last year and managed to sort stuff once there; one guy I know taught English to Burmese refugees for three months and even got paid a little bit as well as being given accommodation and getting to do something genuinely worthwhile. There are also quite a lot of volunteer opportunities in South America but it is more expensive to get to and doesn't appeal to me as much so I haven't investigated that extensively, http://www.travellernottourist.com/ is supposed to be good though.

I know what you mean about it all being daunting though; at first it seems like there is so much to do that it is impossible to choose but then when you investigate further it turns out there is really very little that is actually practical and relatively affordable, and the idea of going on your seems more and more intimidating as plans become more detailed and it seems more real!
couchsurfing.com
You can also find free accomodation on the site and meet lots of friendly people:smile:
I stayed with couchsurfers in Berlin and Zurich. It's great fun. It means you will stay with people who know your destination country and can show you around...instead of staying in a hostel and meeting people from all countries except your destination country and not learning anything about the culture.
Reply 27
http://www.companions2travel.co.uk/index.asp

Or go alone and you might meet another loner on your travels. :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by louise89

I feel exactly the same, I don't really want a black hole on my cv especially as it was my decision to take this bloody gap year! I'm so sick of England already.

No not really, I think i naively thought that I would find some volunteer organisation but all of them are either really expensive or unethical and I don't know which ones to trust.

Europe would be good, especially as it's safe and interrailing looks really fun.
I'm half thinking about booking a flight to New Zealand and hopefully meet with some fellow backpackers to tag along with and travel with them...but I;m scared I'll just end up alone!

Have you had any luck with websites yet?

I feel exactly the same, I don't really want a black hole on my cv especially as it was my decision to take this bloody gap year! I'm so sick of England already.

No not really, I think i naively thought that I would find some volunteer organisation but all of them are either really expensive or unethical and I don't know which ones to trust.

Europe would be good, especially as it's safe and interrailing looks really fun.
I'm half thinking about booking a flight to New Zealand and hopefully meet with some fellow backpackers to tag along with and travel with them...but I;m scared I'll just end up alone!

Have you had any luck with websites yet?

Wow,

i'm envious right now reading bout ur gap year and ur plans for it.

Its cool that u were considering going down to New Zealand. As i'm from that part of the world (the Pacific Islands to be specific). How i'd luv to come over to the UK someday.
If u do come over to the Pacific even if u only come as far as NZ, i'm sure it would be worth ur while as well as worth ur money.

I wish u both ( u & Gee-wa) all the best in finding the perfect place(s) to go...
And that one day u'll be able to visit the Pacific Islands..
:smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
I'm also in the same situation. I have a friend who wants to go traveling but he wants to go to America while i want to go to south east Asia. I think i may have to go alone. After reading some of the comments on this thread it seems like the best thing to do.

Anyway a little off topic, I was just wondering if it is best to book a flight home from Asia before i go and try and arrange my schedule around that flight, or is it best to book a flight home whilst out there? i've never been traveling before so i don't really know how it all works. Would it be too expensive to book a flight whilst out there?
Sorry to go off topic but any help would be great!
Reply 30
Unless you get lucky on Air Asia (by booking way ahead, which kinda defeats the point if you're trying to gain freedom), long haul returns are about the same price as the singles, so you might as well get a return - even if you end up selling your passport, throwing all your worldly possessions into the Ganges, becoming a hippie and not using the return leg.

Not sure about N. America/Canada. I got Edinburgh - Toronto single for £160 three years ago, but that airline is now bust.

S. America. Get a return and work around it. There are no cheap singles from there to Europe. Condor might have something bearable, but only from Brazil and, again, you'd have to book ahead.
I'm in exactly the same position. I'm not doing a gap year (stupid tuition fee rises!) but over the Summer I want to travel, and none of my friends want to! But I found this great website, just search 'busabout' on Google. Its this organisation where they organise travel all around europe for however long you want and alot of people go by themselves and just meet people out there on the buses. It's a bit like interrail, but run by a support group but it's still a really independent way to travel. Plus, it's not hugely expensive.
Original post by Gee-wa
Hi,
I'm on my gap year at the minute and have spent the first few months working/seeing sights/dossing and have sworn since day one that after Christmas, which is when my bank account should be nicely topped up, my adventures will begin.

The only trouble is that none of my friends seem to share my enthuthiasm. They're all either at uni, in full time work or too much enjoying spending their money on going out nightly to sign up and come see the world with me.

I'm not afraid to go on my own and if it comes to it I definitely will, but I'd really love to go in a group or meet new people and have some great people to share it with and just make the experience so much better.

So does anyone know any good sites or groups I can join where like-minded people can meet and go travelling together a la C4's coach trip??

I would like to take gap year to travel too after this year but everyone keeps telling me to go to uni and that there is no point and I ll be lost. I would prefer to travel with a small group of 4 altogether or 1 other person otherwise it'll be too much trouble. So instead I have decided to go sometime in the summer holidays for 4-6 weeks hopefully it'll also stop me worrying about my results. Although my friends do not want to come with me I dont think it'll be a good idea I was thinking of going with random people because then itll be a complete new experience. So I think I am interested with going with someone if anyone else interested e-mail me but i will need to speak to my parents first, lol they are OVERLY protective.
Hmm I would have come if I was on a gap year but I guess I am no use to you.
Reply 33
In september 2009 i went to Tanzania with Real Gap for 1 month and had an amazing time (although book through Camps International, not Real Gap). Last year i went to South America for 16 weeks with one of the guys i met in Africa and had another fantastic time, this time we made it up as we went really, only had a couple of things booked.

This year im planning on heading out to South East Asia for about 4 months, this time im on my own and don't really have a plan so far. Im hoping to get a few ideas for each country and then probably wing it again.

Will
Reply 34
Original post by Gee-wa
Well it's nice to hear it's not just me I guess :smile: Regret's creeping in for me too because I just feel that if I don't get out of my hometown it really was a waste of a year!

I really don't have any major preference, though I think I'd prefer mainland Europe just for visa/money reasons. But really I just want to get out there and see the world and I think now, while I'm young and relatively responsibility free is the best chance I'm ever going to get.

What about you? Did you have anywhere in mind when you chose to defer?

I feel exactly the same as you in every way the regret, the fact i have no responsibilities, and the want to do Europe!

Ive been working since september and was planning on Innterailing alone in March, do you have much money saved up at all?

I just need to get outa here! ahhhhh!!
Go by yourself.
I'd like to try coachsurfing but im scared they will be some pervs/creeps or they might rob me or something. (Im paranoid like that)
And where do you sleep?
I feel like im gonna look like a beggar or something if i do that, no offence. :sad:

Anyone here have tried it? Any suggestions so far about coachsurfing?
Reply 36
Original post by shhsam
I feel exactly the same as you in every way the regret, the fact i have no responsibilities, and the want to do Europe!

Ive been working since september and was planning on Innterailing alone in March, do you have much money saved up at all?

I just need to get outa here! ahhhhh!!

Yes, I do have quite a bit, enough to do some traveling now but I've decided to work a few months and get more saved so I can go for an extended period.

Original post by kristinaalovesu
Go by yourself.
I'd like to try coachsurfing but im scared they will be some pervs/creeps or they might rob me or something. (Im paranoid like that)
And where do you sleep?
I feel like im gonna look like a beggar or something if i do that, no offence. :sad:

Anyone here have tried it? Any suggestions so far about coachsurfing?

I know! It seems like such an amazing concept and would be so fun and beneficial to the trip if it was great but it could go really wrong.
Reply 37
Original post by Will247
In september 2009 i went to Tanzania with Real Gap for 1 month and had an amazing time (although book through Camps International, not Real Gap). Last year i went to South America for 16 weeks with one of the guys i met in Africa and had another fantastic time, this time we made it up as we went really, only had a couple of things booked.

This year im planning on heading out to South East Asia for about 4 months, this time im on my own and don't really have a plan so far. Im hoping to get a few ideas for each country and then probably wing it again.

Will

Hi, why do you say to use camps internations rather than real gap?
cheers

Quick Reply

Latest