The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mushi_master
Exams over! Now to go drink beer and play games.
Nice one. Eugh, my exams start in exactly a month's time. :colonhash:
Original post by i'm no superman

That's certainly better than coming back from Christmas straight after new year. Bloody King's.
I have a headache, I don't want to revise! Yes I'm throwing a paddy. I'm okay with it.
Original post by Mushi_master
That's certainly better than coming back from Christmas straight after new year. Bloody King's.
That sucks. I go back next week for another two weeks of lectures and then two weeks worth of study leave before exams.
Reply 184
I'm so old now! :C had 3 hours sleep before firms and it nearly killed me (literally)
That sucks. I go back next week for another two weeks of lectures and then two weeks worth of study leave before exams.

Two weeks study leave!? That's amazing. I'll get less than that for Finals. :frown:
Reply 186

Try a week. I'd much rather a month. Having later exams means you can chill out quite a lot over Christmas, rather than experiencing the flutters of unease.

Ah I'm so jealous! We never get study leave. They tell us its not possible to revise for our exams (it definitely is).
Reply 188
Original post by mrs_bellamy
Ah I'm so jealous! We never get study leave. They tell us its not possible to revise for our exams (it definitely is).

They actually tell you that? I wish there was a way to avoid revision here. I detest it.
The progress test does have it's up sides :smile:
Reply 190
Got up at 7 to see my girlfriend off and had to go back to sleep as I was far too tired - not looking good for next week's lectures!
Original post by Woody.
Got up at 7 to see my girlfriend off and had to go back to sleep as I was far too tired - not looking good for next week's lectures!

There is absolutely no chance that i'll be able to stay awake for all of those 9am starts; my body clock is a mess. :colonhash:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 192
Original post by Onychophagia
There is absolutely no chance that i'll be able to stay awake for all of those 9am starts; my body clock is a mess. :colonhash:

Same... I've been up since 8:30am... definitely time for a nap :tongue:
Reply 193

Next week does not look overly pleasant at all, and I'm struggling to believe that our 'mocks' for our end of year exams are in the next month, I feel that I've picked up absolutely nothing. I'm also surprised that we haven't met yet!
Reply 194

Tell me about it. I'm blaming the Ashes and the silly Australian position on the globe.
Reply 195
I'm just trying to revise some (very basic) respiratory stuff, and my book's saying that after a quiet expiration, intrathoracic pressure is about -0.5 kPa. I don't quite understand why, if it is negative relative to atmospheric pressure, air does not continue to enter the lungs, as gasses go from a region of high to low pressure, right? Is it due to some elastic tension in the lungs, or perhaps the intercostal muscles? But further, if it does reach 0 (or +ve as in forced expiration) what prevents the lungs collapsing? The book also says that the terms 'intrapleural pressure' and 'intrathoracic pressure' are interchangeable, does that mean that the pressure inside the thorax is always the same as the pressure inside the pleural membranes? Thanks!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 196
Exam 1 out of 2 done today.

They asked a few riducolous questions (as expected), but otherwise the questions were a bit boring tbh.
Original post by Woody.
I'm just trying to revise some (very basic) respiratory stuff, and my book's saying that after a quiet expiration, intrathoracic pressure is about -0.5 kPa. I don't quite understand why, if it is negative relative to atmospheric pressure, air does not continue to enter the lungs, as gasses go from a region of high to low pressure, right? Is it due to some elastic tension in the lungs, or perhaps the intercostal muscles? But further, if it does reach 0 (or +ve as in forced expiration) what prevents the lungs collapsing? The book also says that the terms 'intrapleural pressure' and 'intrathoracic pressure' are interchangeable, does that mean that the pressure inside the thorax is always the same as the pressure inside the pleural membranes? Thanks!

One of the slides in that lecture confused me; the one that said that intrapleural pressure becomes positive during forced expiration. All other sources i've come across say that intrapleural pressure is always negative. This makes more sense, as the lungs would collapse under a positive intrapleural pressure. The negative pressure is down to the lymphatic system draining pleural fluid and the elasticity of the lungs (inward force) opposing the elasticity of the chest (outward force) giving a greater intraplueral volume and therefore a lower pressure.
Reply 198
One of the slides in that lecture confused me; the one that said that intrapleural pressure becomes positive during forced expiration. All other sources i've come across say that intrapleural pressure is always negative. This makes more sense, as the lungs would collapse under a positive intrapleural pressure. The negative pressure is down to the lymphatic system draining pleural fluid and the elasticity of the lungs (inward force) opposing the elasticity of the chest (outward force) giving a greater intraplueral volume and therefore a lower pressure.

Hmm, that would make more sense, however, even Pocock & Richards says that intrapleural pressure becomes positive during forced expiration, up to 10 kPa. So I don't really know what to think!
Original post by Woody.
Hmm, that would make more sense, however, even Pocock & Richards says that intrapleural pressure becomes positive during forced expiration, up to 10 kPa. So I don't really know what to think!

Yeah, i've just seen that. We can be clueless together now! :yy:

Latest

Trending

Trending