The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JK.
Given how important this game could be for both of our seasons and United's as well, I'm surprised how little hype it's had. :erm:

Having put £1 on 3-1 win, Cesc fgs, whilst on a high from the Brum win, I wouldn't mind seeing that come in @ 80/1.

With the injuries they've got, the general consensus seems to be that they'll park the bus, in which case I reckon we'll definitely score, but not many. Probably 1 or 2, but if we take hold of the game like we did the Chelsea one, there's a good chance we could put 3 past them.

I'll go 2-1, Cesc fgs.

Which website?
Reply 521
JK.
OP
Original post by ChestHair&SmallTum
Which website?

Skybet, it's down to 75/1 now, they clearly know it's going to happen.
LOL..i think dear old Arsene is trying to be like a morinho with his play on words(ala Dzeko)..
'He is decisive. He chooses his moments. He is very strong in the air as well, that’s one of his great qualities. He is a super player. He is at the very top, when he is at his game.

'For many clubs the price was too high but, for Man City, £27m is not a risk. Look at the number of players who cost £20m who do not even get on the bench at Man City.

'It is a risk for me, not for them. If you have £100 in your pocket and you put £90 on a blackjack table you take a risk. If you have £5m in your pocket and put £90 on a blackjack table it is not a risk.

'The risk is linked with the amount of money you have in your pocket.'

He does talk sense though but i sense that if we had made a 15mil move in the summer we would have bagged him..not saying chamakh hasn't been an astute signing..but a little more firepower upfront would have helped in some games this season
The most sensible betting strategy I've ever heard of was a guy who bet £10 on City to lose every week. He figured it was worth £10 to see us pick up points and he'd win the bet if we didn't.

Original post by JK.
With the injuries they've got, the general consensus seems to be that they'll park the bus, in which case I reckon we'll definitely score, but not many. Probably 1 or 2, but if we take hold of the game like we did the Chelsea one, there's a good chance we could put 3 past them.

So you'll 'definitely score' against the best defence in the league with the sole aim to defend?
Original post by Jeppasloth
The most sensible betting strategy I've ever heard of was a guy who bet £10 on City to lose every week. He figured it was worth £10 to see us pick up points and he'd win the bet if we didn't.

Must have been awful for him during the Mark Hughes run of draws before he was sacked :p:
Reply 525
JK.
OP

So you'll 'definitely score' against the best defence in the league with the sole aim to defend?

How did that work out for him when you drew about 7 in a row last season? :tongue: Edit: Great minds, Stu. :sexface:

If a good team plays against us with the intention of actually playing and is able to boss the play, we're more likely to struggle to score than when we're allowed to play our game and they just try to defend. Might be the best defence in the league, but you've only kept 2 clean sheets in the 9 away games you've had since the opening day and we've only failed to score in one home game, I think 90 mins of our attack, which is at pretty much full strength, should result in us getting at least one.
Original post by JK.
If a good team plays against us with the intention of actually playing and is able to boss the play, we're more likely to struggle to score than when we're allowed to play our game and they just try to defend. Might be the best defence in the league, but you've only kept 2 clean sheets in the 9 away games you've had since the opening day and we've only failed to score in one home game, I think 90 mins of our attack, which is at pretty much full strength, should result in us getting at least one.

Fair enough. I'll stop before this descends into a massive argument and we concede and I look a dick. Nice stats by the way and we shall see tonight.
Reply 527
Fair enough. I'll stop before this descends into a massive argument and we concede and I look a dick. Nice stats by the way and we shall see tonight.

Any news on Silva and Ballotelli? Do you guys usually play with one or two defensive midfielders? (Yaya not included :colonhash: )
Reply 528
JK.
OP

Fair enough, lol. Gone are the days of me getting in silly arguments on here though, I hope. We'll inevitably fail to score now.

If I'm honest, I can't really see us scoring 3, I doubt we'll fail to score though. Like I've been saying all along, the outcome of the match will depend on the front 3 we start with, if it includes Chamakh and Arsh, I have major doubts as to what we'll achieve, but Theo and RvP... can't see us not scoring.
Lol I saw in the window of a betting shop one of those accumulators for tonights match. Like the ones where you bet a tenner on the first goalscorer + the outcome, in coral.

It said:

Bet £10 on

Teves to be the first scorer and

Arsenal to win 1-0

will return £240.

LOOOOL

I think they actually think people would be dumb enough to bet that.
Reply 530
Original post by In2deep
Any news on Silva and Ballotelli? Do you guys usually play with one or two defensive midfielders? (Yaya not included :colonhash: )

Neither are playing, according to reports. I think that the consequence, as Jeppa mentioned, will be a reversal to a 4-4-1-1, with Milner and Johnson on the flanks.
Original post by The Question
Lol I saw in the window of a betting shop one of those accumulators for tonights match. Like the ones where you bet a tenner on the first goalscorer + the outcome, in coral.

It said:

Bet £10 on

Arsenal to win 1-0

will return £240.

LOOOOL

What if that actually happens? OG :teehee:
Original post by antonfigo

Touche. :holmes:

but if they meant that surely the payout would be bigger than £240
Reply 533
Original post by Abiraleft
Neither are playing, according to reports. I think that the consequence, as Jeppa mentioned, will be a reversal to a 4-4-1-1, with Milner and Johnson on the flanks.

Nice, this is probably the biggest match of the season for us so far. Nice to know that Silva won't be playing, he has been outstanding so far even though "the media" haven't noticed..

Original post by antonfigo

Exactly what I thought :rolleyes:

Maybe they meant £2400 :colone:

If I have access to my comp/watching a stream I often bet against Arsenal when they are leading going into the latter stages of a game. I've won a couple of hundred a few times, it's no consolation tbh but it does pay for the night out after
We lose tonight and potentially we go 8 points behind Utd, 2 points (minimum) behind City and level with Spurs. So that's worse case scenario but I think people have got carried away with the Birmingham performance, i'm still reeling that we didn't pick up maximum points over xmas
Reply 537
Original post by The Question

It said:

Bet £10 on

Arsenal to win 1-0

will return £240.

LOOOOL

I'd put a quid on that :awesome:
Reply 538
I'm being positive and going for a win.
Not sure if we'll manage a clean sheet, depends on how many set pieces we give away (:tongue:)
Going for a 3-1 again like I did for Chelski, although this time I think we may go 2-0 up, they pull a goal back, then we finally pull a scrappy goal out of the bag, or possibly a pen to get 3-1 and the result.
If Ade is playing I'd say there's a chance of a red card.
Original post by Captain92
I'm being positive and going for a win.
Not sure if we'll manage a clean sheet, depends on how many set pieces we give away (:tongue:)
Going for a 3-1 again like I did for Chelski, although this time I think we may go 2-0 up, they pull a goal back, then we finally pull a scrappy goal out of the bag, or possibly a pen to get 3-1 and the result.
If Ade is playing I'd say there's a chance of a red card.

Speaking of set pieces, I really like RVP's long pass freekicks. He lets it float in the air for a while. It increases chance of mishaps. His direct shots need a bit rusting off though.

Latest