The Student Room Group

Hull York Medical School Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Presidential
Hyms has finished for the year so im a free man. If you have any Q's feel free to ask me:smile:

Hi Presidential, how do you find the placements? And do you know how they work in years 3-4? The course looks great and I'd absolutely love to get a place but I'm a bit concerened about how spread out they all are - in terms of living with my partner throughout. Do you know how long the blocks are throughout those years and how many of them there are?

Thanks.
Original post by monkeygirl1
Hi Presidential, how do you find the placements? And do you know how they work in years 3-4? The course looks great and I'd absolutely love to get a place but I'm a bit concerened about how spread out they all are - in terms of living with my partner throughout. Do you know how long the blocks are throughout those years and how many of them there are?

Thanks.

Placements are interesting to say the least. We have them on tuesday afternoons and we usually spend half a day in the hospital or GP. Most of the time we are in groups of 4 with a Dr and we usually just talk to patients and practice physical exams on them. Years 3-4 are phase 2 so im not too sure what goes on lol, all i know is we get spread around different locations each term.
Hey, I notice that we need to take outdoor clothing for our interview at Hull-York! Can anyone enlighten us what this is for? And what level of outdoor-y ness is required??

Thanks!
Hey, I notice that we need to take outdoor clothing for our interview at Hull-York! Can anyone enlighten us what this is for? And what level of outdoor-y ness is required??

Thanks!

You're required to do an assault course to check you're physically fit enough for the job.

Nah, they've had a lot of snow, and you go on a tour of the campus! :smile: so just make sure you have a warm coat haha.
Reply 264
Original post by Presidential
Placements are interesting to say the least. We have them on tuesday afternoons and we usually spend half a day in the hospital or GP. Most of the time we are in groups of 4 with a Dr and we usually just talk to patients and practice physical exams on them. Years 3-4 are phase 2 so im not too sure what goes on lol, all i know is we get spread around different locations each term.

An unrelated question I know but do you know what is different about the HYMS PBL course in comparison with other PBL courses, can't find the answer anywhere and have a nasty feeling their going to ask me this?! lol :redface:
Original post by Luke0011
You're required to do an assault course to check you're physically fit enough for the job.

Nah, they've had a lot of snow, and you go on a tour of the campus! :smile: so just make sure you have a warm coat haha.

Hehe, thanks Luke, have you been for interview already? How did it go? x
Original post by spleendid
An unrelated question I know but do you know what is different about the HYMS PBL course in comparison with other PBL courses, can't find the answer anywhere and have a nasty feeling their going to ask me this?! lol :redface:

It's in their "students guide to PBL" which you should be able to find somewhere on their website!
that guide really helped me when i was preparing, so i'd give it a read :biggrin:
Hehe, thanks Luke, have you been for interview already? How did it go? x

Yeah, i've been already, i think it went okay! some of the questions were a bit.. odd, but I gave an answer so i HOPE it went well :smile:
Thanks for asking! when's your interview?
Next interview date on Wednesday :smile: How's all your preparation going? I'm pretty nervous now!
Reply 269
It's in their "students guide to PBL" which you should be able to find somewhere on their website!
that guide really helped me when i was preparing, so i'd give it a read :biggrin:

THANK YOU that is a huge help!
Reply 270
hyms have been really decent and I have heard all good things from their current medics. I was 4 1/2 hours late for my interview and they still fitted me in! (I'm only 45 mins away my train but the trains went off/ my ticket was stolen/ train got stuck-nightmare day!)
Original post by conorcd
hyms have been really decent and I have heard all good things from their current medics. I was 4 1/2 hours late for my interview and they still fitted me in! (I'm only 45 mins away my train but the trains went off/ my ticket was stolen/ train got stuck-nightmare day!)

Oh my god! O.O The stress. :|
Reply 272
Original post by laurencebaker1
Oh my god! O.O The stress. :|

luckily it all started going wrong at 7 am when we got to the station and discovered the next 6 trains were cancelled. because it was early we managed to speak to the admissions people before they went out of their office. they were lovely.
worst part was when train finally came and I went to go thru barrier and had lost my first class ticket! by the time I got a normal ticket, that train had gone and it was another 2 hours before another one made it! ended up standing the whole way and was terrified didn't have enough money for taxi from station as had used my money for replacement ticket. phone decided to lose signal so parents were also in a right state.
I arrived with hair like a care bear ( it was straight when I set off but got frizzy in the snow!) finally got train back after being out for 10 hours and had got on wrong one as east coast had cancelled so many that I jumped on first to arrive and it was trans=pennine. had no money left so got fined! ( though they were very nice about it)
by the time got to newcastle, most buses home were off so waited an hour and a half and finally home at 10;30-after 15 hours, very cold. was shattered but had newcastle interview next morning. not my greatest day
my school paid for the original ticket-I didn't tell them I lost it
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by conorcd
luckily it all started going wrong at 7 am when we got to the station and discovered the next 6 trains were cancelled. because it was early we managed to speak to the admissions people before they went out of their office. they were lovely.
worst part was when train finally came and I went to go thru barrier and had lost my first class ticket! by the time I got a normal ticket, that train had gone and it was another 2 hours before another one made it! ended up standing the whole way and was terrified didn't have enough money for taxi from station as had used my money for replacement ticket. phone decided to lose signal so parents were also in a right state.
I arrived with hair like a care bear ( it was straight when I set off but got frizzy in the snow!) finally got train back after being out for 10 hours and had got on wrong one as east coast had cancelled so many that I jumped on first to arrive and it was trans=pennine. had no money left so got fined! ( though they were very nice about it)
by the time got to newcastle, most buses home were off so waited an hour and a half and finally home at 10;30-after 15 hours, very cold. was shattered but had newcastle interview next morning. not my greatest day

They'll read this and give you an offer for the stress you went through. :smile:))))) Hope you did okay? Did they tell you like what your UCAS score was and can I ask what your UKCAT score is?
Reply 274
Original post by conorcd

now THAT is a nigtmare interview day!! am glad they were so nice about it and you still got interviewed. i have an interview on the 15th jan, would you mind giving me a few pointers on the kinds of questions they asked, what the article was about etc? thanks
Reply 275
Yeah, i've been already, i think it went okay! some of the questions were a bit.. odd, but I gave an answer so i HOPE it went well :smile:
Thanks for asking! when's your interview?

odd how? what kinds of things did they ask? and what was the article they got you to read before going in, was it hard? i am so so nervous!
Original post by sy091392
odd how? what kinds of things did they ask? and what was the article they got you to read before going in, was it hard? i am so so nervous!

I cant say what kind of things they asked! :P haha. But the article was fine, loads of things to pick from :smile:
dont worry about the article bit :smile:
Reply 277
Original post by laurencebaker1
They'll read this and give you an offer for the stress you went through. :smile:))))) Hope you did okay? Did they tell you like what your UCAS score was and can I ask what your UKCAT score is?

don't know my score. ukcat was 682.5. think I did ok but my brain was all over the place o possibly was terrible! wish I'd spent longer on the q they put on website. I had 3 interviews in one week so spread myself too thin.
Reply 278
Original post by sy091392
now THAT is a nigtmare interview day!! am glad they were so nice about it and you still got interviewed. i have an interview on the 15th jan, would you mind giving me a few pointers on the kinds of questions they asked, what the article was about etc? thanks

don't worry too much about it. it wasn't like a test or anything bizarre. be yourself and you'll be fine
Original post by conorcd
don't know my score. ukcat was 682.5. think I did ok but my brain was all over the place o possibly was terrible! wish I'd spent longer on the q they put on website. I had 3 interviews in one week so spread myself too thin.

3 in one week? O.o

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending