The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Onychophagia
Yeah, i've just seen that. We can be clueless together now! :yy:

It might make sense if alveolar pressure always remains negative, whilst intrepleural did not. However going by the diagram of pressure against time alveolar pressure (page 320) does become positive and negative throughout a normal breathing cycle. I'm confused.
Original post by Woody.
x

Right, apparently during forced expiration there is local airway collapse (or narrowing) at the equal pressure point (where Intrapleural pressure and Alveolar pressure are equal). The pressure then builds distal to this point which helps to open the airways again.This is not a problem in healthy individuals but is for sufferers of COPD or emphysema.
Reply 202
One of the slides in that lecture confused me; the one that said that intrapleural pressure becomes positive during forced expiration. All other sources i've come across say that intrapleural pressure is always negative. This makes more sense, as the lungs would collapse under a positive intrapleural pressure. The negative pressure is down to the lymphatic system draining pleural fluid and the elasticity of the lungs (inward force) opposing the elasticity of the chest (outward force) giving a greater intraplueral volume and therefore a lower pressure.

Original post by Woody.
Hmm, that would make more sense, however, even Pocock & Richards says that intrapleural pressure becomes positive during forced expiration, up to 10 kPa. So I don't really know what to think!

Guys, I would suggest looking up CPAP and BiPAP - bit of interesting clinical stuff - and it makes sense to do it now...:smile:
Yay, first day back with a 3 hour symposium on access to healthcare, and 2 hours of neuro introduction, finishing at 4 on a Wednesday. Nice.

Still, I think I may enjoy neuro, atleast I certainly hope so as it will almost take us up to April.
The auditory system truly is horrific.
Original post by crazylemon
You mean wonderful right? Along with eyes and vestibular system only bits of (sort of) neuro I like.
No way, it's tedious. I prefer looking at the somatosensory-motor complexes that span cortical, subcortical and spinal levels. That's real neuro. It's far more interesting. Who cares about perilymph, endolymph and any other whatever-lymph? :p:
Original post by crazylemon
I loathe that stuff. I know only half the names and then I don't know what I do know does. Other than the substantia nigra, I can do that. But basal ganglia? No thanks. Half the nuclei in the thalamus and all of them in the hypothalmus can **** off :p:

Add in the entire limbic system to that. Man, I hate that thing.
It's my birthday today - but I have upcoming exams :frown:

Do I revise? :p:
Original post by Philosoraptor

Happy birthday.
Original post by digitalis
Happy birthday.

Hahah thanks :biggrin:
Argh due to BScness you're overtaking me :frown:

If you end up being my F2, can you be nice to me? :p:
Reply 210
There is absolutely no chance that i'll be able to stay awake for all of those 9am starts; my body clock is a mess. :colonhash:

I was falling asleep in my lecture today and so had an 7 hour nap at about 2pm. So now of course, I can't sleep.

CWallace91
Add in the entire limbic system to that. Man, I hate that thing. Don't forget embryology as well!

Don't forget embryology as well!
Happy birthday Philosoraptor! :smile:
Reply 212
Just read the thread where some nice person wrote a v detailed thing about salaries -- I had NO IDEA you'd reach 30K by FY2/ST1.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 213
Original post by Philosoraptor

Happy Birthday!
Reply 214
Original post by lekky
Just read the thread where some nice person wrote a v detailed thing about salaries -- I had NO IDEA you'd reach 30K by FY2/ST1.

If you're lucky with banding you'll earn that, or very close to it, as an F1 (pre-tax).
Reply 215
Original post by Helenia
If you're lucky with banding you'll earn that, or very close to it, as an F1 (pre-tax).

Ahh
So much money :teeth:

So say you earn £30K, lose about £5k ish in tax..

I saw you said you have to pay things like NI, pension, student loan

How much money would that leave someone with (very approximately)?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 216
Original post by lekky
Ahh
So much money :teeth:

So say you earn £30K, lose about £5k ish in tax..

I saw you said you have to pay things like NI, pension, student loan

How much money would that leave someone with (very approximately)?

Last year I was on 1A banding plus London weighting (ie the most an F1 can earn) and I think my take-home pay added up to between £24-25k for the year. Outside London that would therefore be £22-23K. Obviously this will have risen by the time you get there, though not necessarily in line with inflation so in real terms it might be less, but it's a perfectly comfortable salary for someone just out of uni, as long as you don't try to compare with your banker/lawyer friends!
Reply 217
Original post by Helenia
Last year I was on 1A banding plus London weighting (ie the most an F1 can earn) and I think my take-home pay added up to between £24-25k for the year. Outside London that would therefore be £22-23K. Obviously this will have risen by the time you get there, though not necessarily in line with inflation so in real terms it might be less, but it's a perfectly comfortable salary for someone just out of uni, as long as you don't try to compare with your banker/lawyer friends!

That is pretty sweet. Especially if you are used to living on £5K a year as a student!
(edited 13 years ago)
Thank you guys :biggrin:
The only reason I'm happier to get older is that it's closer to graduating :biggrin:

Will have to make up and start studying by tomorrow... (ok the day after as I'll have a headache most likely :p:).
Happy Birthday Philosoraptor!! :cake:

Tomorrow it's exactly a year since my UEA interview. It seems so long ago.....

Latest

Trending

Trending