The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The Jane Austen one sounds pathetic. :rofl:

I can imagine it as a sort of Hot Tub Time Machine like fare. Alive Alone certainly sounds interesting, depends how good the writing is for it and what kind of director they could get for it. Sounds like a movie Greengrass would be excellent at.

Mis-read what you said. The most WANTED unmade scripts? Jesus, shows Hollywood is not changing its tricks this year with the Jane Austen movie.
(edited 13 years ago)
Has anyone else noticed that a trademark of Spielberg is the use of over-exposure and a single iconic shot? ET and the bike against the moon, Richard Dreyfuss and the others being bathed in light as they join the aliens, the legs dangling in the water and the move up to them.

Would be interesting if a discussion could be started on what trademarks directors add in virtually all of their films. :holmes:

I need to get to bed.

The more obvious example would be Kubrick and his tracking shot:

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5942
127 hours

woah
Reply 5943
Original post by Madjackismad
Kubrick

kubrick stare is one of my favourites

also hitchcock's vertigo dolly zoom
Spielberg also tries to incorporate the company logo into the opening of the film (Paramount mountains into Indy), and uses shafts of light to backlight.

Fincher shoots through objects.

Cameron has a bit of a foot fetish.

Tarantino always uses a camera angle from inside an odd location, such as in the car boot.

John Landis puts the line "see you next wednesday" into all of his films.

Bay uses the twirling camera around a person from foot to head.

Woo uses white birds in all of his films.

John Carpenter goes crazy for a bit of lens flare.

Can't think of any more at the minute.

Original post by Madjackismad
Alive Alone certainly sounds interesting, depends how good the writing is for it and what kind of director they could get for it. Sounds like a movie Greengrass would be excellent at.

Mmm yes, that would be a good match. But then he'd also be really good at the O.K.C. film as well, and that's more his territory.
Reply 5945
Scorsese has people getting shot in the head and a little cloud of blood being sprayed into the air before disintegrating. :coma:

Some of the worst editing ever?

You can't help but get the feeling that everyone involved knew it was going to be a crap film so they pawned off all of the work onto interns who just went mental.
Tarantino usually has a scene in the bathroom too
Reply 5948
Original post by Phalanges
This year's black list: http://www.slashfilm.com/2010-black-list-years-unproduced-screenplays/

For those unaware, the black list is the most wanted unmade scripts in Hollywood. Things like Juno have been on it in the past, and the Beaver headed it for a number of years I think before it finally got made. Some really interesting ideas on it. To highlight just a few that caught my eye:

Yes, I was reading about it the other day. :yes: HERE: http://blcklst.com/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/dec/14/hollywood-black-list-best-unproduced-scripts?CMP=twt_fd

Fancy catching a taut drama about Jackie Kennedy's fight to preserve JFK's legacy in the seven days immediately following his death? Or perhaps a romantic comedy with the legendary title: Your Bridesmaid is a Bitch? Both stories could well find their names into cinemas, along with another 74, after making it on to the 2010 "Black List" of the best unproduced screenplays in Hollywood.

This year's list was revealed yesterday by its compiler, film executive Franklin Leonard. It consists of the screenplays which a team of more than 300 movie producers most liked but that did not end up making it into cinemas by the end of the year. "The Black List is a snapshot of the collective taste of the people who develop, produce, and release theatrical feature films in the Hollywood studio system and the mainstream independent system," said Leonard on website blcklst.com.

The list is often a useful indicator of upcoming film-making trends, and this year is no exception. The mashup genre, which began with the forthcoming film adaptation of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, is well represented with the likes of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, Boy Scouts vs Zombies and the delightful-sounding ****ing Jane Austen, in which two friends angry at Jane Austen for creating unrealistic romantic expectations among modern-day women get sent back in time to the 19th century. "The only way for them to return home is for one of them to get Jane Austen to fall in love and sleep with him," reports the list.

There are also indications of Hollywood's continuing obsession with famous historical and cultural figures. The list is topped by writer Wes Jones's screenplay College Republicans, which centres on aspiring politician Karl Rove's "real-life" dirty campaign for national College Republican chairman under the guidance of Lee Atwater, his campaign manager. No 2 on the list is the previously mentioned Jackie, by Noah Oppenheim.

Some screenplays on the list have suspicious hints of previously successful movies. Point A, by Chris Rubeo, could be a warped take on the Oscar-winning Juno with its storyline about a witty, wise-beyond-her-years teenage video blogger who falls in love with a 30-year-old magazine writer. Replay, by Jason Smilovic, the tale of a teenager who gets to relive his life over and over, has shades of the classic Bill Murray comedy Groundhog Day.

A number of the films on the list, including Abraham Lincoln, are already in production. Others in this category include Oz the Great and Powerful, which is set to star Robert Downey Jr as the famous wizard, and Snow White and the Huntsman, in which the huntsman sent to kill the fairytale character instead becomes her beau.

The strangest story on the list? Well, how about Jesse Armstrong's Murdoch, in which the News International boss Rupert Murdoch arrives at a family dinner to try and "convince his elder children to alter the family trust so that his two youngest children by his newest wife will have voting rights in the company"? Don't expect Twentieth Century Fox to be greenlighting that one any time soon.
Reply 5949
I like the sound of the Jackie Kennedy one!

Can imagine Anne Hathaway playing her.
(edited 13 years ago)
Wall-E on iplayer :daydreaming:
Reply 5951
I'm thinking of watching High Fidelity tonight... Is it any good?
siwelmail
X

ctarling
X

Welcome to the chat thread and society! :h:
I'm going to watch 127 hours this weekend! I'm excited
Reply 5954
Yeah so "Somewhere" is pretty good btw
Home Alone on Living + 1 now :bigsmile:
Tarantino also has the continuity of certain brands you see in films. Big Apple cigarettes can be seen in Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill Vol I.
Reply 5957
Tarantino:

Reply 5958
Jackie Brown. My very first and favourite Tarantino. :coma:
Original post by Firaila
Tarantino:

I agree with this more than Tarantino keeping continuity. Nothing truly new from him in 10 years (I have not seen Inglorious yet so could be corrected).

Latest