The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by S129439
Why want the pats to lose :frown:?

gay-triots
Reply 181
I would love the Seahawks to beat the Saints. Not least because the Falcons would get a free ride to the next round.

Original post by JAKstriked
gay-triots

You can't argue with that kind of logic.
Original post by TheMagicRat
Nothing will stop people ripping on the NFC West. The Cardinals almost won the SuperBowl two years ago with a 9-7 regular season record and they were still getting ripped. A 7-9 team deserves a ripping. Good luck to them and I hope they do well, but it is a bit of a joke when a 7-9 team gets in and two 10-6 teams are out. I know that's the way the NFL operates, but it doesn't make it any less ludicrous.

If you're not at least .500 then I don't really think you should be in the play-offs, but under the current rules I can't complain. The thing is it only takes a decent team in that division and they should get a winning record because you play the other three waffle teams twice. The fact that none of them could manage .500 just shows how much of a joke they all are, with the possible exception of the Rams, who actually had a good year since they are rebuilding pretty much everything.

The division deserves to be ripped on, I was saying it more jokingly. I actually like the system the way it is: it adds some value to the division system and makes it worth winning (as much as I would have loved the Bucs to make the play offs).

Hopefully it'll be less of a joke next year. If the Rams improve again then they should be over 0.500 and if the 9ers somehow got a decent coach and servicible QB thne they might just make it too.
Original post by S129439
The Chiefs will lose I think. Because like you said Matt Cassel's form has dropped as of late and the Ravens have a strong secondary. Also a stout run D will stop Jamaal Charles. The Ravens are proven in play-off football whereas the Chiefs aren't.

Also, the Chiefs have only beaten one play-off team all season (The Seahawks.). Their wins have come from poor teams.

You can only beat the opposition put in front of you. I do think the Chiefs will win, but I certainly don't think they should be written off with some people here already talking about Ravens @ Steelers.

Original post by Mann18
The Seahawks deserve their shot.
It's fine to say "Oh what about the Giants and Tampa!" but fact is, had they won other games, they'd be there.
I might put a cheeky £5 on the Seahawks to pull an upset, 5-1 for a playoff game, ****'s crazzzzyyyyy.

Indeed they do, under the system the way it is. I said that I can't complain because this is the way the NFL operates and we all know it. If they go on and win the SuperBowl then fair play to them. However, a 7-9 team in the play-offs is laughable. I actually want them to do well now that they are there. I mean, got to love an underdog, but that doesn't make it any less of a joke.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 184
Anyone watched 'Arena Football' ever? I need something to watch until next season and it sure as hell isn't going to be football or baseball :p:.

Edit: http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/new-orleans-saints-given-firstround-bye,18755/ :colone:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 185
You guys hear about the new uniforms Nike is gonna be putting out in 2012? These are fake, but I like some of the new looks. The style is called Pro-combat or something; you can already see the nike style of uniforms on University of Oregon. The new uniforms, are alot tighter and flexible then the old one's but they still look pretty awesome while your wearing a hoodie or something.
http://jockpost.com/nfl-nike-uniforms-2012-real-fake/
Reply 186
Original post by Idiocracy
You guys hear about the new uniforms Nike is gonna be putting out in 2012? These are fake, but I like some of the new looks. The style is called Pro-combat or something; you can already see the nike style of uniforms on University of Oregon. The new uniforms, are alot tighter and flexible then the old one's but they still look pretty awesome while your wearing a hoodie or something.

If those are real they're very... dark :p:.

Edit: http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/sports/leaked-nfl-nike-uniform-sketches-are-fake-111910 Very much not real it seems :moon:
(edited 13 years ago)

Guaranteed fake, they just look too imaginative; although the leg pads look like the nike pro combat ones (I have them :tongue:).
COWBOYS!
Original post by Dick Valentine
COWBOYS!

there's not a lot to shout about
Original post by Mann18
The Seahawks deserve their shot.
It's fine to say "Oh what about the Giants and Tampa!" but fact is, had they won other games, they'd be there.
I might put a cheeky £5 on the Seahawks to pull an upset, 5-1 for a playoff game, ****'s crazzzzyyyyy.

I'm on the fence with the NFC West argument.

One half of me says that they did what they had to do. I mean each team starts the season knowing they have to win their division to be sure off the play-offs. You know what you need to do and if you can't do it then you don't deserve a spot. Also, they were 7-9 with their schedule. If they had been playing better teams then their playbook and preparation would have been different. So who is to say that the change in the way the play in response to tougher opposition wouldn't have got them a win or possibly two?

But on the other hand, it seems so unjust that a team who in a comparatively easy division can't even win half of their games can get into the play-offs, when it's quite obvious had they played Tampa or New York they would have lost.

I think overall I'm against the Seahawks. I would be in favour of a team having to be 9-7 to get into the play-offs. The play-offs is about the best teams playing the other best teams. And Seattle clearly isn't even in the top half of the league. I mean there are 5 teams with an outright better record than Seattle who didn't get into the play-offs. It just seems so wrong.
Original post by JAKstriked
gay-triots

Nah. Best NFL team in the last 10 years. We are awesome.

I wish these were real. They look so cool!

The pats one especially :P
Original post by Dick Valentine
COWBOYS!

Oh dear...
Reply 194
Packers @ Eagles.

:coma:
Reply 195
Original post by S129439
I'm on the fence with the NFC West argument.

One half of me says that they did what they had to do. I mean each team starts the season knowing they have to win their division to be sure off the play-offs. You know what you need to do and if you can't do it then you don't deserve a spot. Also, they were 7-9 with their schedule. If they had been playing better teams then their playbook and preparation would have been different. So who is to say that the change in the way the play in response to tougher opposition wouldn't have got them a win or possibly two?

But on the other hand, it seems so unjust that a team who in a comparatively easy division can't even win half of their games can get into the play-offs, when it's quite obvious had they played Tampa or New York they would have lost.

I think overall I'm against the Seahawks. I would be in favour of a team having to be 9-7 to get into the play-offs. The play-offs is about the best teams playing the other best teams. And Seattle clearly isn't even in the top half of the league. I mean there are 5 teams with an outright better record than Seattle who didn't get into the play-offs. It just seems so wrong.

To a degree though it has to be like that if you are going to have any kind of sub-groupings which actually make any sense. Other than not playing teams from other groups its similar to the group stages at the world cup, you could theoretically get a ridiculously easy group and get through to the knockout stages whilst still being a mediocre team. Ultimately its sadly unavoidable unless you have every team playing every other one, something clearly not going to happen in the NFL.
Original post by Mithra
To a degree though it has to be like that if you are going to have any kind of sub-groupings which actually make any sense. Other than not playing teams from other groups its similar to the group stages at the world cup, you could theoretically get a ridiculously easy group and get through to the knockout stages whilst still being a mediocre team. Ultimately its sadly unavoidable unless you have every team playing every other one, something clearly not going to happen in the NFL.

I think the division thing serves a massive purpose and should continue to operate the way it does but not to this extreme. If they made it so being a division winner meant you host a play-off game providing you have a winning record then I would be happy.

I understand that the division grouping needs to have a point but under that system it does. Also, knowing in advance 6 of your games is good for a team and makes for interesting football and makes sure rivalries continue.

I just think it shouldn't count when a team is so poor that they can't even win half of their games. It goes against what the play-offs is all about, which is the best teams qualifying and playing each other. Not the best teams practically getting a bye because they drew some awful opponent who benefited from other teams being bad.
Reply 197
E-A-G-L-E-S

EAGLES !

Really looking forward to the game, just hope Vick stays calm in the pocket because they've got some brilliant DB's.
Original post by Swell
E-A-G-L-E-S

EAGLES !

Really looking forward to the game, just hope Vick stays calm in the pocket because they've got some brilliant DB's.

I think Clay Matthews will sack/strip vick and give Packers the game. And like you say, vick is a great throwing QB but I think Woodson will decimate the passing attack.
Reply 199
About the Saints Vs Seahawks game:

Spoiler

Latest