The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
I hadn't clicked on the old Med Soc page and only just realised the new one. I've joined, but not on the list yet.
Reply 221
Original post by crazylemon
I have had one and am not even clinical...

I would say go for it...

Got it today in occy health, definitely worth it nearly everyone on the resp ward is in isolation ._.

Original post by Bslforever
We can but live in hope.

Quick question for you two - are any medics in your year interested in extra teaching/getting distinctions?

I'm thinking of setting up a teaching group, partly for me (cv, I like teaching, good recap) and for you guys. An FY2 did this for us at Hillingdon hospital, and now me and a few mates want to do it for the lower years.

I know there's muslim medics/med ed but tbh I found their tutorials naff, dumbed down and formal - I'm going for an informal, no nonsense approach, high yield teaching once per week aimed purely at getting distinctions for everyone that comes.

Now I doubt any freshers will have even opened the prospectus yet, so we might start with yr 2, then yr 2 and yr 1 next term.

What do you think the level of interest will be like?
(edited 13 years ago)
I SO have to do this............

IM A FINAL YEAR

Oh my crap - finals then im done. I feel sick and excited all at the same time.
(well technically speaking)
Reply 224
I agree with you on MM. Oh I would be happy to help out on this if you ever do it.

I think it would be popular.

Ok cool thanks for the offer. I'm gonna make a poster, add me on facebook and I'll keep you up to date. Hopefully should have everything sorted by next week.
Reply 225
Original post by fairy spangles
I SO have to do this............

IM A FINAL YEAR

Oh my crap - finals then im done. I feel sick and excited all at the same time.

I don't know what I'd think as a patient, but right now the idea of a doctor having the TSR username 'Fairy Spangles' is pretty damn awesome!
I made up an obscene mnemonic to remember leptotene, zygotene, pachytene, diplotene and diakinesis. :awesome:
Reply 227
How do I add you then? Need to know who you are :p:

ah that's true man sorry. snip
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 228
Sounds familiar.
Reply 229
Elderly lady in a motorised wheelchair wanted someone to take her outside for a smoke whilst we're on ward round. Consultant said, "Go to ground floor and go outside." (we're on the 2nd)

Lady screams, "TAKE ME OUTSIDE, TAKE ME OUTSIDE, TAKE ME OUTSIDE!!!"

Consultant: "We can't take you outside, go..."
"I WANT YOU TO TAKE ME OUTSIDE, I WANT TO SMOKE, THEN TAKE ME BACK TO MY BED!!"
"We can't..."
"****ER!!"

We walk off, she sits there. We get halfway down the corridor, realise we need to go back the other way. As we walk past her, she lights up right there and mumbles, "F***ERS".
Reply 230
Original post by SMed
Elderly lady in a motorised wheelchair wanted someone to take her outside for a smoke whilst we're on ward round. Consultant said, "Go to ground floor and go outside." (we're on the 2nd)

"We can't..."
"****ER!!"

We walk off, she sits there. We get halfway down the corridor, realise we need to go back the other way. As we walk past her, she lights up right there and mumbles, "F***ERS".

She's clearly a charmer.
Original post by JordanCarroll
Being gassed in training?? :eek3: with what??
They all sound awesome (well the biofilm one slightly less so :p:) having a good few that you know you'll find interesting is cool :smile:

SSC/SSM/SSS/SSU
:rolleyes:

CS gas
From wiki
The British Armed Forces use CS gas annually to test their CBRN equipment. During initial training they introduce recruits to CS gas by ordering them into a small enclosed space known as a Respirator Test Facility (RTF) and igniting chemical tablets to induce CS production. After recruits have carried out their CBRN drills, they must remove their respirators and inhale the CS to realise it effects and become confident their masks work.
Original post by SMed

"We can't..."
"****ER!!"

Ahh :smile: I do not miss volunteering on elderly care.
Original post by ilovehotchocolate
CS gas
From wiki
The British Armed Forces use CS gas annually to test their CBRN equipment. During initial training they introduce recruits to CS gas by ordering them into a small enclosed space known as a Respirator Test Facility (RTF) and igniting chemical tablets to induce CS production. After recruits have carried out their CBRN drills, they must remove their respirators and inhale the CS to realise it effects and become confident their masks work.

I've had to walk into a mist of CS spray during training :biggrin:

Never streamed tears/nasal discharge like a mofo like that ever before....
the WORST bit is when you go to shower.
HAHAHA, do not let it get into your sensitive areas - OUCH.
Original post by buzzcat
Got it today in occy health, definitely worth it nearly everyone on the resp ward is in isolation ._.

Quick question for you two - are any medics in your year interested in extra teaching/getting distinctions?

I'm thinking of setting up a teaching group, partly for me (cv, I like teaching, good recap) and for you guys. An FY2 did this for us at Hillingdon hospital, and now me and a few mates want to do it for the lower years.

I know there's muslim medics/med ed but tbh I found their tutorials naff, dumbed down and formal - I'm going for an informal, no nonsense approach, high yield teaching once per week aimed purely at getting distinctions for everyone that comes.

Now I doubt any freshers will have even opened the prospectus yet, so we might start with yr 2, then yr 2 and yr 1 next term.

What do you think the level of interest will be like?

I like the idea very much. Muslim Medics generated quite a bit of interest amongst keen freshers. I never went to any of their lectures because they always put them on after we had just finished a very long day of lectures and i wouldn't have made it through another hour of concentrating. I went to their small group tutorials and they were a bit basic to be honest. Well worth going to, but could be better. If you want to make this happen I would suggest checking out the timetable of the year that you are targeting so you can put your lectures/tutorials on days that aren't so full on.

The way you describe it, I would definitely attend.

As a side note, Hillingdon hospital is so far away! I had my FCA tutor meetings up there. Took me longer to get there than to get through the tutorial :\
Reply 235
Eugh. Shame I'm now finished on cardio, I liked cardio. Consultant: 'you got the diagnosis right, but you need to be more confident in your presentation'...Really diddn't feel like informing them that I wasn't all that sure about the diagnosis either...:tongue:

In other news, the council man came and fixed my heating :biggrin: Huzzah, warmness all round. Life is good :smile:. Oh and does anyone have any views/experience of Dagibatran(thrombin competitive antagonist)? I have to do a writup on it...just looking through the literature now, but experience would be good.
Reply 236
Original post by lekky
That is pretty sweet. Especially if you are used to living on £5K a year as a student!

It's amazing how quickly you can spend it though! :eek: Non-student accommodation, council tax, commuting, GMC fees - nice reduction for next years FYs though (!), weddings etc.

buzzcat

I'm interested in how this worked when the FY2 did it..? & intrigued by the aim of getting distinctions for everyone who goes! :tongue: Is the content quite formulaic..? I think often the difficulty with teaching is pitching things at the right level for everyone with a bit of stretch... Would it be invitation only or you'd hope it to self select?

Wangers

Oh and does anyone have any views/experience of Dagibatran(thrombin competitive antagonist)? I have to do a writup on it...just looking through the literature now, but experience would be good.

My view is that when each Orthopaedic surgeon has a different opinion on what post-op prophylaxis they want for what operation and for which type of patient it is that is at odds with the Trust policy and they can't keep the FY1s they expect to be prescribing it uptodate with their whims it's a big pain! :rolleyes: Perhaps not quite what you're looking for..!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 237
For our year ones, learn EVERYTHING on the lecture slides and you will get a first (well not quite everything).

Would group teaching help memorize slides..?
Reply 238
Start psych on Monday *shudder* not looking forward to it!
Original post by Hygeia
Start psych on Monday *shudder* not looking forward to it!

Snap. Can't say I'm looking forward to it either...

I think my face it too expressive to communicate with some of the more 'interesting' psych patients without getting a black eye! A night 1-to-1 caring for a bipolar paranoid schizophrenic as a HCA was more than enough for me to know that psych isn't for me.

Latest

Trending

Trending