The Student Room Group

My ultimate cheap bulk-making recipes thread.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Welsh_insomniac
I'm definitely going to be trying this :biggrin: I've been trying to keep to a budget of £10 a week so we shall see how this changes things.

Glad I've helped someone :smile: try put more veg in please so I don't feel it's that unhealthy!
A LOT of Mac n Cheese

4.89 for a weeks worth = 68p a day.
Reply 22
Do you keep all of these dishes in the freezer for the rest of the week? I can't imagine that Macaroni Cheese would freeze very well...
Original post by hmjessop
Do you keep all of these dishes in the freezer for the rest of the week? I can't imagine that Macaroni Cheese would freeze very well...

Yes you can put them all in the freezer, and if you defrost the macaroni cheese in the oven it should be fine.
Spaghetti Carbonara (about ten portions)

Recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2876/learn-to-make-spaghetti-carbonara

£5.05/10 portions = 50p a portion.

Obviously dont freeze the spaghetti just the sauce, divide it into however many portions you like.
For when you feel homesick, Apple pie :smile:

Recipe: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/maryhenrysproperappl_67463

Reply 26
do thanks for your sharing....
Spicy root & lentil casserole (vegetarian) 8 Portions.

Recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1364/spicy-root-and-lentil-casserole

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(and 50p for low fat yoghurt)

= £6.67/8= 83 pence a portion.
So many of these look great, wish I'd found you before my food tech GCSE, would have saved me a fortune :tongue:

Thanks for sharing, keep it up! (yum, apple pie <3)

....rock cakes are good :wink:
Original post by insignificant
A LOT of Mac n Cheese

4.89 for a weeks worth = 68p a day.

I've never seen mac n cheese made like that? I don't see how you can make the cheese sauce without adding flour - and what are the eggs for?

(Good thread though!).
Reply 30
Original post by callum9999
I've never seen mac n cheese made like that? I don't see how you can make the cheese sauce without adding flour - and what are the eggs for?

(Good thread though!).

I guess the eggs (or well, the yolk) is used insted of the flour. Though I have never made proper mac n cheese so I don't know if that is a big no no (:
Original post by skyja
I guess the eggs (or well, the yolk) is used insted of the flour. Though I have never made proper mac n cheese so I don't know if that is a big no no (:

Oh, is that meant to taste nicer? I just make it the normal way (white sauce - flour and milk, then melt cheese in it). It would be cheaper the normal way as well as the flour would be something ridiculous like 5p at most!
Reply 32
Original post by callum9999
Oh, is that meant to taste nicer? I just make it the normal way (white sauce - flour and milk, then melt cheese in it). It would be cheaper the normal way as well as the flour would be something ridiculous like 5p at most!

No I don't think that it would make it taste nicer really. I guess it's a good alternative though if someone wants to cut down on the wheet products. :dontknow:
I wouldn't recommend using egg though for a recipe like that (:

Quick Reply

Latest