The Student Room Group

1st from Birmingham City University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Well done to the OP. We should congratulate anybody who worked hard enough to get a 1st.
Congrats on the 1st, its an achievement wherever its from, but don't big it up too much. A first from UCB is not the same as a first from UCL....
Reply 22
Original post by *soph*
The firm who offered me a training contract obviously don't seem to take as much issue with music as you do.

chill out, i just thought it was a bit mean having a go at the OP about grammar when that wasn't really the question they were asking. it's kind of obvious that you don't write 'proper hard' on an application.
Reply 23
Original post by becky139
chill out, i just thought it was a bit mean having a go at the OP about grammar when that wasn't really the question they were asking. it's kind of obvious that you don't write 'proper hard' on an application.

It was also unjust and irrelevant to bring my degree discipline into question. I wasn't targeting the OP specifically - it might not be obvious to everybody that you shouldn't use such expressions on application forms, so I was trying to highlight the importance of good language and grammar. My firm gave us an assessment based on correcting bad grammar, spelling and expression to test our attention to detail, so clearly it does matter.
Reply 24
reckon i'll be alright on that. it's the logical reasoning that'll catch me out..
Original post by younglawyer
Well they're all top 20ish firms but they were all on a borderline 2.1, so they were on a 58 from either Birmingham or Warwick. You'd be surprised at how much weight a good law school 2.2 holds!!!

I can understand if you mean 2.2 from Oxbridge. But Birmingham or Warwick?Surely a 1st from BCU is better than a 2:2 from Birmingham or Warwick? I know for a fact that many law firms would automatically bin applications from students with 2.2s. Even from an ex-poly, I'm sure that at least some would consider the 1st from BCU (provided that these smaller firms aren't too strict on their UCAS point filters).

If you have a 2:2 from Oxbridge, fair enough you're still in for a decent shot at a legal career. But due its sheer competitiveness, surelý you're not going to get very far with a 2.2 from Birmingham or Warwick? Yes they are decent law schools, but they aren't your Durham/LSE/UCL, and certainly not Oxbridge.
Successful troll is successful. Well done on exposing TSR legal snobs who have yet to even graduate.
Reply 27
I see it like this, and please don't shoot me for my opinion.

People get into Top university, mid rank, low rank university according to their alevel grades. Therefore you are among the top if you are in a top university and you are among the bottom of those who goes to university if you went to a low ranking university.

Then a proportion of you in that high rank/low rank university get first, 2.1, 2.2 etc.

So if you get a first in a top university, you are top of the top of those who went to university. If you got a first in a low ran university, you are the top of the bottom in a sense in comparison to the rest of the country. So the top of the bottom is around the bottom of the high rank university. So saying a first from BCU is around the middle/bottom of a russel group university.

(I study at UCL so obviously i will feel biased to think that my degree if i get a first worth maybe a little bit more than if i was at BCU with the hard work I put in a levels but ya my view of what you wrote)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by littlebee2

People get into Top university, mid rank, low rank university according to their alevel grades. Therefore you are among the top if you are in a top university and you are among the bottom of those who goes to university if you went to a low ranking university.

Then a proportion of you in that high rank/low rank university get first, 2.1, 2.2 etc.

So if you get a first in a top university, you are top of the top of those who went to university. If you got a first in a low ran university, you are the top of the bottom in a sense in comparison to the rest of the country. So the top of the bottom is around the bottom of the high rank university. So saying a first from BCU is around the middle/bottom of a russel group university.

(I study at UCL so obviously i will feel biased to think that my degree if i get a first worth maybe a little bit more than if i was at BCU with the hard work I put in a levels but ya my view of what you wrote)

I understand what you are trying to say. But for someone that goes to UCL, I'd expect writing that was a bit more coherent.
Reply 29
Original post by adam0311
I understand what you are trying to say. But for someone that goes to UCL, I'd expect writing that was a bit more coherent.

its 4.39am in the morning lol.
At the same time I am an Economist. Not a Lawyer. We deal more with algebraic equations rather than essays. I haven't written anything longer than 1000 words at a time for a very long time.

And even in UCL you get those who you feel somehow found themselves in there without reason. I feel like one of those recently.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by littlebee2

Fail logic.
Reply 31
A first is a first no matter where it's obtained from.. it shows the commitment and the seriousness of the student.. The courses taught and textbooks used are same in all universities , the only difference is the calibre of tutors, the facilities and the bias created by government through the provision of adequate funding to the top universities while negelecting the lowly ranked unis..

Students in top universities like oxbridge, warwick, imp, ucl ech have access the the best lecturers and facilities compared to their peers in the lowly ranked uni. So, if a students achieved a 2.2 from top uni, it only shows his/her level of seriousness. A student who made a first from a lowly ranked university despite the unavailability of quality lecturers and facilities is better off than someone who has all the necessary ingredients to obtain a first class but failed to achieve it.

And most employers are only being irrational in their shortlisting exercises by concluding that a top grade from top uni is better than that obtained from a lowly ranked uni..why not ensure equal opportunities and select based on recruitment tests rather than being stereotypical and asking unecessary questions at interviews where minds are easily made up to favour the graduands from top unis
Reply 32
Original post by cleakoms
A first is a first no matter where it's obtained from.. it shows the commitment and the seriousness of the student.. The courses taught and textbooks used are same in all universities , the only difference is the calibre of tutors, the facilities and the bias created by government through the provision of adequate funding to the top universities while negelecting the lowly ranked unis..

Students in top universities like oxbridge, warwick, imp, ucl ech have access the the best lecturers and facilities compared to their peers in the lowly ranked uni. So, if a students achieved a 2.2 from top uni, it only shows his/her level of seriousness. A student who made a first from a lowly ranked university despite the unavailability of quality lecturers and facilities is better off than someone who has all the necessary ingredients to obtain a first class but failed to achieve it.

And most employers are only being irrational in their shortlisting exercises by concluding that a top grade from top uni is better than that obtained from a lowly ranked uni..why not ensure equal opportunities and select based on recruitment tests rather than being stereotypical and asking unecessary questions at interviews where minds are easily made up to favour the graduands from top unis

The exams set are different, the marking standards are different, and the external examiners are not the same. The academics who are external markers for Oxford/Cambridge/redbricks tend to be academics from others of these universities.
Reply 33
sine nomine - pretentious name :P
Reply 34
also - and sorry to rant, i'm mid-essay crisis - what's the obsessive nit-picking over grammar?! people are hardly gonna write like that on actual applications
Haven't read through the whole thread so forgive me if I am repeating anything that has already been said.

It has nothing to do with the fact the exams are externally marked. Firstly, they are afterall internally set! But the main point is that, by going to BCU, you haven't been exposed to the quality of teaching that someone at a better university will have. It is fairly safe to say that the best lecturers, those seminal in their fields, end up at the best universities. The same can be said about students. Those who are at better universities are surrounded by brighter peers. Add this to higher quality, more authoratitive teaching, and you have an all round more academically stimulating/testing environment - completely regardless of the degree class earned at the end.

I don't mean this to sound pompous, or arrogant. Of course there are exceptions. But equally, I think it is fairly naive to suggest that all degrees are equal thanks to external moderation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending