The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel- Unit 3 Contested Planet Pre-release

Hi everyone,

So the pre-release material for Unit 3 came out on Thursday and it's on Energy security! yay :smile:

I thought that it would be good to get a thread going where people can post thoughts and questions and just anything about pre-release...

Will post more once I have looked at it in more detail!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey

I am doing this exam :smile: I was so pleased it was on energy security too, I was dreading superpower geographies...

I had a big study of the pre-release yesterday and did a bit of research into some of the organisations mentioned in the booklet and on the general risks to North America energy security. I can see quite a few potential synoptic links to biodiversity under threat and the technological fix but not much of the other 3.

How is you preparation going?
what do you think potential questions could be??

do you think we should research more than just mexico/usa/canada in north america?
Reply 3
:frown: i'm disappointed really because it means its highly unlikely to come up for me in June. oh well good luck on it anyway i can still choose it
Reply 4
so glad the pre-release is energy security!

i've started revising it but everyone keeps mentioning about synoptic links to the other topics, i haven't been told about that yet. Is it an important aspect? I'm quite confused aha
Hey, my techer(i think) made a list of possible questions

a. Explain the factors which have contributed to North America’s energy crisis. (12 marks)
b. Evaluate the possible impacts of controversial energy supplies on people and the environment. (16 marks)
c. Suggest ways in which North America could balance the desire to secure their energy future with a more sustainable use of resources. (12 marks)
d. To what extent can unconventional resources provide energy security that is sustainable? (12 marks)
e. Evaluate the threats to North America’s energy security. (12 marks)
f. Contrast the three unconventional resources shown in figure 7 in terms of their economic and environmental sustainability for energy in North America. (16 marks)
g. Explain how the growing energy demands of North America could lead to social and political tension within the region and beyond. (14 marks)
h. Explain why North America is a region with a high risk energy status. (10 marks)
i. Evaluate the relative importance of the threats facing energy supply in North America. (16 marks)
j. Evaluate the future of energy exploitation and supply in North America
k. To what extent are unconventional fossil fuel resources sustainable in North America?
l. Evaluate the current and future energy demands in North America?
m. What challenges does North America face in being energy secure?
n. Assess the advantages and disadvantages of alternatives in securing North America’s future energy demands.
o. What influence do trade blocs have in helping North America become energy secure?
p. In your opinion, what is the best way forward for North America to secure its energy future?
q. What are the main risks to North Americas energy futures?
Reply 6
Original post by coleee
so glad the pre-release is energy security!

i've started revising it but everyone keeps mentioning about synoptic links to the other topics, i haven't been told about that yet. Is it an important aspect? I'm quite confused aha

The section B is the synoptic part of the paper. Its based on energy security but we are assessed to some extent on our ability to link it to the other topics. Hope that helps!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by OhNo_23
The section B is the synoptic part of the paper. Its based on energy security but we are assessed to some extent on our ability to link it to the other topics. Hope that helps!

Oh right I see, thank you!
Original post by OhNo_23

Yeah, there are many linkes to other topics
-Players in energy security from superpower relations
bridging the development - China exploting africas oil and energy such as the three georges damn
HEP - Water
The causes of globl warming from AS
the technological fix - Contrasting technologies and their impact + biodiversity
Superpower geogeraphies - Increasing power of russia and the small gulf states,and the shift of power when nuclear power takes over
Shall we make this thread a revision thread for this? :smile:
Original post by antipesto93

a. Explain the factors which have contributed to North America’s energy crisis. (12 marks)
b. Evaluate the possible impacts of controversial energy supplies on people and the environment. (16 marks)
c. Suggest ways in which North America could balance the desire to secure their energy future with a more sustainable use of resources. (12 marks)
d. To what extent can unconventional resources provide energy security that is sustainable? (12 marks)
f. Contrast the three unconventional resources shown in figure 7 in terms of their economic and environmental sustainability for energy in North America. (16 marks)
g. Explain how the growing energy demands of North America could lead to social and political tension within the region and beyond. (14 marks)
h. Explain why North America is a region with a high risk energy status. (10 marks)
i. Evaluate the relative importance of the threats facing energy supply in North America. (16 marks)
k. To what extent are unconventional fossil fuel resources sustainable in North America?
n. Assess the advantages and disadvantages of alternatives in securing North America’s future energy demands.
o. What influence do trade blocs have in helping North America become energy secure?
p. In your opinion, what is the best way forward for North America to secure its energy future?

Oh, Thank you so much. They seem useful. Hope you don't mind if I am going to use these questions as part of my revision.
Original post by street.lovin'
Oh, Thank you so much. They seem useful. Hope you don't mind if I am going to use these questions as part of my revision.

Its cool:smile: thats what they are for!
My teacher has given us a few things we could do for revision at home:

Create a table, With the headings along the top bing
Energy sources, Type of energy, Main use, Risks, Reducing risks
This will help if there is a question asking you to contrast/compare/comment on different energy sources.

Here is a list of a few of the'Themes' that have come up

1. What are the current and future demands of energy going to be in North America?
2. What challenges does North America face in being energy secure?
3. Explain the advantages and disadvantages of viable energy alternatives?
4. What role will nuclear power play in North America?
5. What influence do trade blocs have in helping North America become energy secure?

Create a list of each energy source mentioned in the synoptic and list advantages and disadvantages
(Nuclear, Biofuel, Clean Coal technology, Wind, Solar, Geothermal, Tar sands, Oil shale, Mexican deep water oil

Make sure you know what the following words mean
Regional block
NAFTA
Trilateral agreements
North american working group ( i have no idea on this one)
nuclear proliferation
unconventional fossil fuels
ANWR
biofueles
bioethanol
biodeisel
second generation biofuels
biofuel feedstocks
nuclear power
tar sands
clear coal technology
great lakes
open cast mining
oil shale
drill ships
FPSO
OPEC
Peak oil
Choke points

Its a random list, But it might help someone LOL

I am finding it pretty hard to revise for it, No idea what to do! I made a little flash card for each case study (not only for energy security) and made some mindmaps for the theory of it all (stuff like factors affecting XXXXX )

meh.

Thank you so much. I have so many exams I've haven't had as much time to prepare for this one! How many other topics do we have to choose to do?
(I know we have to do energy)

You are a star for posting all the revision tips. :smile:
Reply 14
Heyy Guyys!!
Im doing this examm too!!
I had a mock onit yesterday :smile:! xx
Original post by Rabs123
Heyy Guyys!!
Im doing this examm too!!
I had a mock onit yesterday :smile:! xx

How was it? I have it next tuesday.

I don't understand why Edexcel have to make the exams so long and the time is very litmited. I still remember the Unit 2 that we had to write 6 short essays in 1 hour and 15 mins. Surely it should be about the quality and not how much we can write in an hour. =_= So stupid.
Reply 16
Original post by street.lovin'
How was it? I have it next tuesday.

I don't understand why Edexcel have to make the exams so long and the time is very litmited. I still remember the Unit 2 that we had to write 6 short essays in 1 hour and 15 mins. Surely it should be about the quality and not how much we can write in an hour. =_= So stupid.

I completely agree! These edexcel geography exams are such stressful ordeals...you barely even have time to think!
Is everyone just revising 2 other topics (apart from energy) in detail so they definitely have to answer those questions in section A, or revising them all to allow maximum choice?
Reply 17
Original post by OhNo_23
I completely agree! These edexcel geography exams are such stressful ordeals...you barely even have time to think!
Is everyone just revising 2 other topics (apart from energy) in detail so they definitely have to answer those questions in section A, or revising them all to allow maximum choice?

We were told that with section A in regard to the 5 questions they always vary in difficulty and accesibility. There tend to be 2 straightward / easy to access questions and 2 that are much more complex. My teachers also say that there is usually one that is 'strange' even they wouldn't answer. Therefore they have advised us to revise at least 4 topics (ie. drop 1) so that you have choice in the exam to answer the best questions to recieve marks.
Reply 18
Its cool:smile: thats what they are for!
My teacher has given us a few things we could do for revision at home:

Create a table, With the headings along the top bing
Energy sources, Type of energy, Main use, Risks, Reducing risks
This will help if there is a question asking you to contrast/compare/comment on different energy sources.

Here is a list of a few of the'Themes' that have come up

1. What are the current and future demands of energy going to be in North America?
2. What challenges does North America face in being energy secure?
3. Explain the advantages and disadvantages of viable energy alternatives?
4. What role will nuclear power play in North America?
5. What influence do trade blocs have in helping North America become energy secure?

Create a list of each energy source mentioned in the synoptic and list advantages and disadvantages
(Nuclear, Biofuel, Clean Coal technology, Wind, Solar, Geothermal, Tar sands, Oil shale, Mexican deep water oil

Make sure you know what the following words mean
Regional block
NAFTA
Trilateral agreements
North american working group ( i have no idea on this one)
nuclear proliferation
unconventional fossil fuels
ANWR
biofueles
bioethanol
biodeisel
second generation biofuels
biofuel feedstocks
nuclear power
tar sands
clear coal technology
great lakes
open cast mining
oil shale
drill ships
FPSO
OPEC
Peak oil
Choke points

Its a random list, But it might help someone LOL

I am finding it pretty hard to revise for it, No idea what to do! I made a little flash card for each case study (not only for energy security) and made some mindmaps for the theory of it all (stuff like factors affecting XXXXX )

meh.

My teacher has provide a very similar set of tasks. We have a more comprehensive list of terms to define (I can post them if people would like).

In addition we have analysed all of the graphs (for each of the figures we have described, explained and listed implications of what they show - positive, negative, social, economic, environmental and political (not all graphs have all of these)

We have also assessed the sustainability of all of the possible energy supplies (like what was posted above we evaluated them with advantages and disadvantages and then linked each resource to the elements of sustainability - equity, futurity, public participation and environment)

In regards to further research I have researched current energy supply for each country and looked at how they differ. A key element to what my teacher is telling us is that it is important to look at each country separately - solutions for canada will not necessarily be suitable for the USA or Mexico!

I think that to revise it is important to "know" the resource back to front, although I am not sure how many more times I can perservere and read it! From the sounds of it your revision is good. I am ensuring that I know the different energy sources (and be able to quote for each) and be able to evaluate them. Know about possible risks and players and futures.
Original post by OhNo_23

That is what I am doing. I am revising Energy Security and definitely will be answering questions in Superpower and another one - but I am not sure, what another topic would be - I kind of know more about case studies for Water conflict but Bridging Development gap is more like common sense and probably turn out to be easier... But I am never doing Biodiversity - it's terrible. :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending