The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Noam Chomsky
Hello all,

Ipswich fan checking in. If you need any advice about coming to Portman Road, where to drink etc, drop me a PM.

Portman Road used to be visible from the rail station, has it moved? I'm sure all the gooners going will be disappointed at Roy Keane's sacking, think of all those songs gone to waste.
Reply 841
Hmm, so Arsene will definitely be resting Koscielny.... meaning he has no choice but to play Djourou for his third game in a week, who he's been constantly saying needs to be protected due to his long lay-off last season. Hmm, guess Koscielny must really need the rest!
He's also said that Ramsey and Vela will be in the squad. I would've expected Clichy to start as Gibbs is only just back, but if Wenger said Gibbs will be starting I guess Clichy needed a rest. Wilshere to be rested too, Sagna banned, with Nasri and Van Persie picking up knocks, team pretty much picks itself for tomorrow imo:

Fabianski

Eboue------Squillaci-----Djourou------Gibbs

Song

Fabregas-----Denilson

Rosicky------Chamakh------Arshavin

Bench:
Szczesny
Koscielny
Clichy
Ramsey
Vela
Walcott
Bendtner
(edited 13 years ago)
I think that will be very close to the line-up. Szczesny will probably play in goal though. And I think Bendtner or Vela will start over Rosicky. Otherwise, the same team. Ramsey, Eastmond etc. won't get a start -- it'll be that midfield for sure.

Should be a comfortable win. I fancy fatty to get on the scoresheet.
It will probably be:

Szczesny

Eboue Squillaci Djourou Gibbs

Rosicky Song Denilson

Bendtner Chamakh Arshavin

If Eastmond/Ramsey etc play, I'll be pissed off. However Cesc could start, I don't think anyone can predict whether he will start. I would also like Chamakh and Bendtner to switch positions.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 844
Wenger confirms interest in signing Hazard in the summer

I've heard great stuff about him, but signing him would almost inevitably mean the departures of (at least one of) Vela and Bendtner, no? Or JET, who is being courted by Blackburn.

Also, Bolton have inquired as to Vela's loan availability.

Wrt tonight, I think:

Szczesny
Eboue Djourou Squillaci Gibbs
Denilson
Fabregas Rosicky
Bendtner Chamakh Vela

I'm also hoping JET gets a run out - he looks a prospect, but also very different from our other players in what he offers.

EDIT: Just read this about Hazard on Wikipedia:

On 7 October, Belgium national team manager Georges Leekens stated that Hazard needed to work harder, both physically and mentally, to regain his form of last year citing his recent spell on the bench at Lille. The team's assistant coach, Marc Wilmots, also stated that Hazard often displayed a lazy mentality while training with the national team. Hazard's coach at Lille, Rudi Garcia, responded to Leekens comments the following day stating that he thought they were "excessive" and that "Eden is only 19 years old" and can still "make more progress in all areas." Following Belgium's match against Kazakhstan, in which Hazard failed to start or even appear on the substitute's bench, Leekens responded to Garcia's comments declaring that he would stand by his previous comments and that players must think about the team and not themselves.

Sounds like Arshavin. :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
hope we don't slip on today's banana skin :colonhash:
lmao even if i despise them , where are furgeson and mour ?
Original post by Abiraleft
Wenger confirms interest in signing Hazard in the summer

I've heard great stuff about him, but signing him would almost inevitably mean the departures of (at least one of) Vela and Bendtner, no? Or JET, who is being courted by Blackburn.

I think Hazard would be a fantastic signing. He is considered a better prospect than Nasri was when we bought him and I'll be very surprised if another big club doesn't go in for him. It's unusual to see Wenger be that open about signing a player. Then again, plays in the French league and his French...of course we'll sign him. It usually means good news and I think a summer move would be on the cards.

The plan will be to shift Nasri in Cesc's position, and go with Hazard out wide...but it's looking quite a bit into the future! (or a few months...)
Reply 848
Original post by Overmars
I think Hazard would be a fantastic signing. He is considered a better prospect than Nasri was when we bought him and I'll be very surprised if another big club doesn't go in for him. It's unusual to see Wenger be that open about signing a player. Then again, plays in the French league and his French...of course we'll sign him. It usually means good news and I think a summer move would be on the cards.

The plan will be to shift Nasri in Cesc's position, and go with Hazard out wide...but it's looking quite a bit into the future! (or a few months...)

Hmm, my wishful model of the future so far looks something like:

Bendtner/Vela/JET
Nasri----------------------------------Walcott
Ramsey Wilshere
Song/Frimpong

So I'm struggling to see how Hazard would be fit in... It all depends on Ramsey's recovery, but your model would involve dropping one of Wilshere or Ramsey, right? I was thinking he'd play striker.
Eden Hazard is basically the new Ronaldo. And if he wants to come to us, we should really be making every attempt to sign him, regardless of what happens with Cesc in the summer. It would proabaly require having to offload Rosicky and Bendtner/Vela. The major stumbling block will be how much he will cost.. Anything less than £20m then we should splash the cash in this case.
Reply 850
Original post by T.Adams VI
Eden Hazard is basically the new Ronaldo. And if he wants to come to us, we should really be making every attempt to sign him, regardless of what happens with Cesc in the summer. It would proabaly require having to offload Rosicky and Bendtner/Vela. The major stumbling block will be how much he will cost.. Anything less than £20m then we should splash the cash in this case.

Yep, I've heard him compared to both Ronaldo and Messi (though who isn't these days?); an advantage for us could be that he's openly stated that his 'dream move' would be to Arsenal, and Wenger has openly stated that he would like to make 'his dream come true'.

Overmars

Then again, plays in the French league and his French.

This only just registered - Hazard is actually Belgian. :tongue:

In which case having Vermaelen - he's the Belgian captain, isn't he? - could be an added bonus. :awesome:
Reply 851
hmmmmmm hazard? lots of hype but will he live up to it...look at vela
Reply 852
Original post by ali242
hmmmmmm hazard? lots of hype but will he live up to it...look at vela

Vela wasn't hyped anywhere as nearly as much as Hazard is being now. I suppose a better example might be Reyes.
Wojscez©®, Eboue, Squillaci, Djourou, Gibbs, Denilson, Song, Rosicky, Arshavin, Chamakh, Bendtner

Looks a bit lazy. But I think they have the "potential"
Reply 854
He certainly plays well on FIFA :wink:
Arsenal need to sign a new centre back as Koscielney is rubbish.
Reply 856
Not very sure about the merits of playing Song and Denilson at the same time. Miquel is on the bench, which is very interesting indeed...

Disappointed not to see JET, though.
Finally an Arsenal match I can actually watch and not follow it on bbc online :colonhash:
Reply 858
Confident about today. Players like Rosicky and Arshavin are too good to not excel in this fixture. We need the first half goal to open the floodgates and then try and confirm it.
Reply 859

:heart:

Latest