The Student Room Group

UCAS Toefl problem :(

I have done the Toefl Ibt test once but I'm registered to do it a second time.... so in the UCAS qualification section I have to enter the 1st one as finished and the 2nd one as pending score. However, when I added the first Toefl score from the qualification list I could not find it the second time. So I added my second toefl as Other international qualification and Entitled it "Toefl Ibt".
Is it a mistake and will the universities accept it as a Toefl qualification?
Reply 1
Original post by Hecker
I have done the Toefl Ibt test once but I'm registered to do it a second time.... so in the UCAS qualification section I have to enter the 1st one as finished and the 2nd one as pending score. However, when I added the first Toefl score from the qualification list I could not find it the second time. So I added my second toefl as Other international qualification and Entitled it "Toefl Ibt".
Is it a mistake and will the universities accept it as a Toefl qualification?

No idea. sorry Can't help.

But, how's the toefl? is it hard? :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by p+i+n+k
No idea. sorry Can't help.

But, how's the toefl? is it hard? :biggrin:

toefl ibt isn't hard, but the speaking section makes me feel weird, you know, looking at a timer and speaking to a computer
Reply 3
Ask your referee to add a sentence to your reference explaining that you're redoing the TOEFL. Then unis will understand and it will be ok.
Reply 4
Of course it'll be fine. UCAS can't list all the qualifications from all over the world, this is why the "other" option exists. You just name it TOEFL iBT and that's that. Makes no difference whether you've renamed the "other qualification" option or used the actual TOEFL one, it's all the same for universities. And it doesn't need to be explained in the reference/PS either.
Reply 5
Original post by Peregrinum

Of course it'll be fine. UCAS can't list all the qualifications from all over the world, this is why the "other" option exists. You just name it TOEFL iBT and that's that. Makes no difference whether you've renamed the "other qualification" option or used the actual TOEFL one, it's all the same for universities. And it doesn't need to be explained in the reference/PS either.

As it's a resit and the second is entered differently to the first this should be explained, otherwise unis will wander why it was inputted this way.
Reply 6
Surely the admissions tutor will realize that one of them is a resit because the dates will be included and won't ruminate over the format. In fact, you can say that it's a resit when renaming the option.
Reply 7

Surely the admissions tutor will realize that one of them is a resit because the dates will be included and won't ruminate over the format. In fact, you can say that it's a resit when renaming the option.

And then you'd be doing a qualification called "TOEFL resit" which doesn't actually exist.
Reply 8
Original post by Juno
And then you'd be doing a qualification called "TOEFL resit" which doesn't actually exist.

You can put the resit part in parentheses. Admissions tutors do possess some common sense and so are smart enough to know what it means without being ridiculously nitpicky (especially when there is no clear procedure on how to enter that detail on one's UCAS form and the form itself comes from a non-UK student).
Reply 9

You can put the resit part in parentheses. Admissions tutors do possess some common sense and so are smart enough to know what it means without being ridiculously nitpicky (especially when there is no clear procedure on how to enter that detail on one's UCAS form and the form itself comes from a non-UK student).

No, you're not understanding how important it is. The uni can cancel your offer if the details provided in the UCAS form are wrong, or they can throw you out if you've got there. As unis are so oversubscribed at the moment you do not want them to have any reason to look at your application and reject you when you would otherwise have had a place but now they do not have room. If that does happen it's likely to happen late when you will have already applied for expensive visas etc.

One sentence in your reference (I didn't say PS; you made that up) will be enough to explain the situation. Admissions tutors may not realise you can't add TOEFL twice - the first was done correctly - so may just assume the student was being stupid.
Original post by Juno
No, you're not understanding how important it is. The uni can cancel your offer if the details provided in the UCAS form are wrong, or they can throw you out if you've got there. As unis are so oversubscribed at the moment you do not want them to have any reason to look at your application and reject you when you would otherwise have had a place but now they do not have room. If that does happen it's likely to happen late when you will have already applied for expensive visas etc.

One sentence in your reference (I didn't say PS; you made that up) will be enough to explain the situation. Admissions tutors may not realise you can't add TOEFL twice - the first was done correctly - so may just assume the student was being stupid.

Oh, I do understand that the details are important. But no university is going to throw you out for having taken a "TOEFL iBT (resit)" qualification when they do know what is actually meant by that. That'd be like disqualifying someone over a typo on their personal statement. When have you ever heard that happening? With the amount of applicants universities have no trouble finding actual rational reasons for preferring one person over the next (higher AS grade, higher GCSE grade, higher TOEFL result, etc.)

Besides, if universities actually were excluding people because their qualification title may not be the official title then that would effectively stop every non-UK student from trying. There are hundreds of different qualifications out there and you can't always enter the exact name on the UCAS form because there may not be a formal English translation, the name may be too long, it might contain letters that aren't a part of the English alphabet, etc, etc. Universities and admissions tutors do understand this and don't disqualify applicants over something like that. I'm a living proof of it.
Reply 11
Then mess up your own application. Don't advise someone else to mess up theirs.
Original post by Juno
Then mess up your own application. Don't advise someone else to mess up theirs.

I didn't mess up my application, I got 5 acceptances, including Russell Group universities. Don't advise international students on matters pertaining to the specifics of their applications when you have no experience with or knowledge of the matter on hand.
Reply 13
HELP! I am really struggling to add my TOEFL to the 'education' section... what test centre do I need to look for?
Original post by a.m_82
HELP! I am really struggling to add my TOEFL to the 'education' section... what test centre do I need to look for?

There is no test center for TOEFL. If it asks you to pick a test center then you've chosen the wrong qualification. Go to the letter 'T' and pick the one that says TOEFL/TEFL (or the other way around). Then you'll just list the date, overall score, and subscores for each section. Also remember to include the TOEFL reference number on your person details section, this allows universities to verify your scores.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending