The Student Room Group

Increasing snobbery about medical schools?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by thisismycatch22
i did answer. i don't care what you believe. i'm interested in your reasoning behind justifying it. i cant really justify what you think i believe. I cant get in your head, sorry, and i dont think i want to.

i didn't say "no one".

when you said 'hardly anyone' thats pretty close to meaning 'no one'. in fact the statement still applies even if you did mean 'hardly anyone'. find the cheese.

where's your evidence that all medical schools are exactly equivalent in terms of quality?
where is your evidence that i believe this?
i'm not defending some codswallop that you thought up, no offence mate.
Original post by Gizmo!
i cant really justify what you think i believe. I cant get in your head, sorry, and i dont think i want to.

when you said 'hardly anyone' thats pretty close to meaning 'no one'. in fact the statement still applies even if you did mean 'hardly anyone'. find the cheese.

where is your evidence that i believe this?
i'm not defending some codswallop that you thought up, no offence mate.

so you'll just make blase statements arguing with people who think overall quality of teaching might be different between different schools and then dodge when pressed to justify it. can't say i'm surprised
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 82
so you'll just make blase statements arguing with people who think overall quality of teaching might be different between different schools and then dodge when pressed to justify it. can't say i'm surprised

firstly, stop imagining things i've said, and then asking me why i've said these things you imagined.

second, please quote my blase stuff if you can find it.

until then butt out, you are getting boring writing down your daydreams about me.
overall quality of teaching might be different between different schools

evidence?
I believe quality of teaching is similar insofar as it can be when the same syllabus is not taught, until proven otherwise, that is
(edited 13 years ago)

Of course quality of teaching will vary from school to school.
Difficulty is in 'measuring' the quality and quantity of useful teaching at each place, and consistency within a school.

Easy enough to do at the undergraduate level, much harder to do when it comes to clinical school.

Have had some appalling bad med students from UCL but then I've seen appalling F1s from KCL and Cambridge (my unis) so I don't think its unique to one place.

Think we sometimes forget the steepness of the learning curve.
Reply 85
Original post by Renal
Haha! That's one of the most sensible posts I've seen in this thread.

However, you have to remember that, essentially, all medical courses are difficult, they just have different emphasis: some will suit great scientists, some will suit great communicators and some will suit great piss artists.

lol, manchester

im at manchester and its all a big worrying piss take. of the people i know, most are lazy and do the minimum. exams are marked on a normal distribution so only the bottom 30 odd students fail. and apparently the st andrews students who join us in clinicals wipe the floor with us

pretty worried about the future, but cant complain that much as im one of the lazy ones
Original post by Jamie
Difficulty is in 'measuring' the quality and quantity of useful teaching at each place, and consistency within a school.

That is not just difficult, but probably impossible to measure.

As for the discussion, unless you propose the quality and quantity of useful teaching within medical school x directly correlates to the quality of every single graduate then even bothering to try and measure it would simply give you a surrogate endpoint.

Some self motivated and highly driven students will succeed and go on to become good doctors no matter how good, bad or indifferent teaching was. Similarly, poorly motivated students will not do well just because they are studying at a 'good' medical school.
Original post by Caponester
That is not just difficult, but probably impossible to measure.

As for the discussion, unless you propose the quality and quantity of useful teaching within medical school x directly correlates to the quality of every single graduate then even bothering to try and measure it would simply give you a surrogate endpoint.

Some self motivated and highly driven students will succeed and go on to become good doctors no matter how good, bad or indifferent teaching was. Similarly, poorly motivated students will not do well just because they are studying at a 'good' medical school.

Actually I disagree strongly with this view.
There is a lot of evidence to show that early interventions make a lot of difference.
A university with a strong postural department who can spot struggling students and help them before they fall too far behind will do far better than one where students are largely left to their own devices excepting the annual exams.

Thats why dropout rates at some unis are much lower than others.
Certainly at places like oxbridge with their tutorial/supervision systems its VERY hard for a struggling student not to get identified and additional help given early on.

And I'm sure quality and quantity of teaching correlates with that of the students.
You don't have to prove it for each student, thats retarded.
Just have to show it statistically improves the quality of students whether in exams, likelyhood to get through foundation years or likelyhood to get into specialty training.
[Something that will be easier to measure once the london unis start awarding their own degrees]
Original post by Jamie
There is a lot of evidence to show that early interventions make a lot of difference.

You wouldn't happen to have any sources would you? I'm not being cheeky - I am genuinely interested. If aggressive identification of any problems or issues at undergraduate level improves student performance and future potential as a doctor then surely this would mean tutorial based learning is the way forward.

I only say that because I think academic problems typically go unreported until they become inhibitory to day to day life at university.
Original post by Caponester
You wouldn't happen to have any sources would you? I'm not being cheeky - I am genuinely interested. If aggressive identification of any problems or issues at undergraduate level improves student performance and future potential as a doctor then surely this would mean tutorial based learning is the way forward.

I only say that because I think academic problems typically go unreported until they become inhibitory to day to day life at university.

Cant remember the names but there was an article in the sBMJ a few years ago reviewing some literature.
Most literature is non medical but there have been some that have looked into med students and student docotrs and are the basis of the foundation programme 'educational supervisors', 'mentorship programmes and emphasis on pastoral care in uni.

I'm a great believer in tuition based learning myself, but its very expensive and labour intensive. Most unis could never afford to do it.
Original post by Jamie
A university with a strong postural department who can spot struggling students and help them before they fall too far behind will do far better than one where students are largely left to their own devices excepting the annual exams.

Thats why dropout rates at some unis are much lower than others.
Certainly at places like oxbridge with their tutorial/supervision systems its VERY hard for a struggling student not to get identified and additional help given early on.

And I'm sure quality and quantity of teaching correlates with that of the students.
You don't have to prove it for each student, thats retarded.
Just have to show it statistically improves the quality of students whether in exams, likelyhood to get through foundation years or likelyhood to get into specialty training.
[Something that will be easier to measure once the london unis start awarding their own degrees]

Very different to here where I have managed to avoid my tutor for over a year with nothing done, I have seen them once. Total.

But then maybe intervention would kick in if I was struggling rather than just wanting to be left to my own devices.
Ver
Original post by bean87
exams are marked on a normal distribution so only the bottom 30 odd students fail.

Only in years 1 and 2. The grade boundaries are all fixed from year 3 onwards.

Original post by bean87
and apparently the st andrews students who join us in clinicals wipe the floor with us

Initially they seem to know more clinically, but it all evens out soon enough. They are good at their anatomy though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending