The Student Room Group

MSc Finance: Cass BS vs Warwick BS

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zweihander
All I will say is I have been to careers fairs at both Warwick and Cass. At Warwick I saw every single one of the bulge bracket banks. At Cass, I only saw one.

Really? I was at the postgrad fair, and all the big names were there.

Undergrad Fair differs considerably
Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos
Really? I was at the postgrad fair, and all the big names were there.

Undergrad Fair differs considerably

ummyeah, undergrad fair. wasnt even aware they had a PG fair last year.
Choose Cass anyway.

London >>>>>>>>>>> a hamlet near Coventry

:colone:
Reply 23
Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos
Choose Cass anyway.

London >>>>>>>>>>> a hamlet near Coventry

:colone:

:biggrin::colone::biggrin::colone::biggrin::colone::cool::cool::cool::cool::colone::biggrin::colone::p:D:p:):biggrin::colone::colone::biggrin::biggrin::cool::cool:
Original post by Zweihander
ummyeah, undergrad fair. wasnt even aware they had a PG fair last year.

Me neither, but I was at Bunhill near the start of the term, and they had a 2 day career fair just for the PGrads. All the usual big names were there. Just goes to show the difference between how the UGs and the PGs are targeted.
Reply 25
I would choose Warwick even though I have a problem with Warwick being in the middle of nowhere, but that problem wouldn't really be a problem anymore because it's a 1 year postgrad.

I don't like hearing people degrade CASS through, they are sick for postgrad.

I could tell OP was not from UK because even in USA, they call it BS instead of BSc lol
Hands down-->Warwick

I cannot undestand you are even asking this Question.
Warwick is so much better than Cass. Only because Cass is in London, lol what a weak argument. There are so many Universities in London.
Cass clearly looses in comparision to LBS and LSE and so on.(List is long lol) It is a really average university within London. How can you get good jobs within the city, with city uni on your cv???

Honestly Warwick is just 100 times better lol!

When you look at the undergrad rankings Warwick is number one in Accounting and Finance. In every ranking. Even ahead of LSE.

Cheers.

When you want to get a decent job, then go to Warwick!
Reply 27
I'm thoroughly agree with you...Perhaps, it would be understandable to be torn between Imperial and warwick or Imperial and LSE...but Cass no..city university is really by far a below average university...Warwick is by far better than Cass and Warwick university is by far better than city university...it couldn,t even come to my mind to compare warwick which is a target university with Cass...lol...The argument of London doesn,t hold, you have a bunch of universities in London maybe a Dozen and Dozen..for London the best for Msc finance are LBS/LSE/Impérial out of these group the others including Cass play in another league by far below:

Best for Msc Finance in Uk :

LBS/Oxbridge/LSE/Impérial/Warwick....that's it that's all...

(Big Big Gap)

maybe Cass and even at this stage you have Bristol, Bath, Durham, St Andrews, Manchester and Nottingham who are slightly better than city university

It's like comparing Manchester united which is a prestigious soccer team with Fulham...they are not in the same league
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Borisvian
I'm thoroughly agree with you...Perhaps, it would be understandable to be torn between Imperial and warwick or Imperial and LSE...but Cass no..city university is really by far a below average university...Warwick is by far better than Cass and Warwick university is by far better than city university...it couldn,t even come to my mind to compare warwick which is a target university with Cass...lol...The argument of London doesn,t hold, you have a bunch of universities in London maybe a Dozen and Dozen..for London the best for Msc finance are LBS/LSE/Impérial out of these group the others including Cass play in another league by far below:

Best for Msc Finance in Uk :

LBS/Oxbridge/LSE/Impérial/Warwick....that's it that's all...

(Big Big Gap)

maybe Cass and even at this stage you have Bristol, Bath, Durham, St Andrews, Manchester and Nottingham who are slightly better than city university

It's like comparing Manchester united which is a prestigious soccer team with Fulham...they are not in the same league

How can you even include LBS in there?

There is a tier difference between Oxbridge/LSE and Imperial/Warwick in Finance, mate. Some firms like Bain/BCG/Mckinsey do not target Warwick
Reply 29
I Checked in their websites..
BCG/Bain/Mckinsey target Impérial - Oxbridge and LSE....
Amongst those three only Bain targets Warwick

I think that Impérial and LSE are in the same league and slightly below Oxbridge but definitely LBS is in its own category

Impérial and LSE are specialized universities...for Quantitative Finance, Impérial is top notsch but for IB LSE is slightly better

for finance :

LBS
Oxbridge
LSE (slight gap) Impérial (slight gap) Warwick

I visited a lot of websites : consulting firms (Bain/Mckinsey/Bain) - Big IB (BB) - Asset manageemnt firms...they all target (oxbridge - Impérial - LSE) ... those 4 are always their, warwick is targetted in 95% of the websites that i visited
(edited 13 years ago)
Well I don't understand why we are drifting towards Consulting firms now. Anyway Warwick is one of the few universities that has always been in the top 10 in whatever undergrad league table.
Now it is the best university according to the undergrad league tables(All!!!!) for accounting and finance. (This is a good indicator for masters)
I think Oxford and Cambridge have better overall reputation than Warwick. But are they better for finance?
LBS is very good for MBAs, the best in the UK for MBA, one of the best in the world. But is LBS the best uni for a finance masters? There is a huge difference between MBA and finance...
Imperial is one of the finest universities in the world for science. The business school is still quite strong, although I think WBS is better than Tanaka.

Anyway what I said above is of course disbutable. What is not disbutable is that WBS is better than Cass. That's fact!

Cheers
Sorry in advance if I offended someone.
Reply 31
Original post by StarTrek2010
Well I don't understand why we are drifting towards Consulting firms now. Anyway Warwick is one of the few universities that has always been in the top 10 in whatever undergrad league table.
Now it is the best university according to the undergrad league tables(All!!!!) for accounting and finance. (This is a good indicator for masters)
I think Oxford and Cambridge have better overall reputation than Warwick. But are they better for finance?
LBS is very good for MBAs, the best in the UK for MBA, one of the best in the world. But is LBS the best uni for a finance masters? There is a huge difference between MBA and finance...
Imperial is one of the finest universities in the world for science. The business school is still quite strong, although I think WBS is better than Tanaka.

Anyway what I said above is of course disbutable. What is not disbutable is that WBS is better than Cass. That's fact!

Cheers
Sorry in advance if I offended someone.

warwick is not better university than cass for a master degrees. for an undegr. degree warwick is much better than city university. for master degree cass is one of the best.. i think you have to see the ranking of financial time with the best business schools. cass has extremely good reputation so many people with 2:1 and first have chosen to do a master at cass. We have to accept that.. city university has one of the strongest business schools in UK.

also i want to inform you that tanaka is closed. now is imperial college business school. It doesn't have the name TANAKA. It is very important to study in a business school that teaches you a lot. Just to know, imperial accept student in its business school only students who didn't cover the 1/3 of the modules in their first degree. This means that for people with business, management or even and accounting background have less chances to have a place at imperial. Imperial teaches its students from the beginning.

thx..
I Checked in their websites..
BCG/Bain/Mckinsey target Impérial - Oxbridge and LSE....
Amongst those three only Bain targets Warwick

I think that Impérial and LSE are in the same league and slightly below Oxbridge but definitely LBS is in its own category

Impérial and LSE are specialized universities...for Quantitative Finance, Impérial is top notsch but for IB LSE is slightly better

for finance :

LBS
Oxbridge
LSE (slight gap) Impérial (slight gap) Warwick

I visited a lot of websites : consulting firms (Bain/Mckinsey/Bain) - Big IB (BB) - Asset manageemnt firms...they all target (oxbridge - Impérial - LSE) ... those 4 are always their, warwick is targetted in 95% of the websites that i visited

McKinsey came to Warwick last term, and are coming again next week.
Original post by prospectivEEconomist
How can you even include LBS in there?

There is a tier difference between Oxbridge/LSE and Imperial/Warwick in Finance, mate. Some firms like Bain/BCG/Mckinsey do not target Warwick

Yes, they do.
Reply 34
Original post by matheo!
, imperial accept student in its business school only students who didn't cover the 1/3 of the modules in their first degree. This means that for people with business, management or even and accounting background have less chances to have a place at imperial. Imperial teaches its students from the beginning.

thx..

Please stop this misinformation...I was accepted in the Msc finance at Impérial and i have a Bachelor in Finance and just during my bachelor i did 15 finance courses which cover almost the whole curriculum of Impérial Msc finance...so please be in the know before saying something...Tanaka doesnt exist !!!!!....it's Impérial College London BS that's it that's all....the Msc finance is very quantitative and stay in the range of subjects that make Imperial prestigious and well known around the world...Finance is closely related to mathematics...soif you want to do finance in a quantitative way, Imperial College London is the Golden place to be in the same path as LSE, Oxbridge and Warwick

Again Warwick Business School is superior to Cass BS...have you ever seen a BS with a Dozen of Msc related to Finance..it's the case at Cass...its really a joke...that's why its a poor school in Finance...it's seeking for Cash Cows...you can't be at the Top with a Dozen of Msc related to Finance, your pool of students is large and you recruit more below average and less caliber students than the likes of Oxbridge/Impérial/LSE/Warwick which are by far more prestigious than a below average school like Cass Bs

I'm sorry if i offended someone..i'm just trying to be honest....sometimes the truth could hurt
(edited 13 years ago)
Hi Everyone,

I got an accept for Warwick's Msc. in Finance and I was curious as to what were the career prospects when I get out. In my case I have no internship experience at a BB, but I did run a student run investment fund with AUM of 170,000> focusing on the canadian energy sector, plus I am hoping to finish the CFA Level 1 by June. Do you think it would be possible to land something ( realistically) at a BB or 2nd tier like BNP or SocGen
Reply 36
Congrats !!! Warwick is Highly regarded by BB, it's a target one..their placement rate according to the Financial Times for the Msc finance is 96% which is quite high..Moreover the curriculum seems to be very strong...You graduated from which university in Canada ? I'm also from there...
Congrats !!! Warwick is Highly regarded by BB, it's a target one..their placement rate according to the Financial Times for the Msc finance is 96% which is quite high..Moreover the curriculum seems to be very strong...You graduated from which university in Canada ? I'm also from there...

I am from Saint Mary's University in Halifax,NS...a serious **** school, though I did part of my maths at Dalhousie University. Where are you from? Ontario?
Reply 38
I don't know the former university but I think that I've heard about Dalhousie the name talks to me a little bit, I'm from quebec (Montréal) and the only ones that i know are UBC (Sauder), University of toronto (Rotman), university of Montréal (HEC Montréal), Mcgill (Desautels), Queen's university...By the way I graduated from HEC Montréal (The most regarded FRENCH BS in Canada) it is the BS of University of Montréal...
Warwick is well established in Europe and even in Canada...My BS in Canada has an exchange program with the BS...The people who are in the matter know it...I think that HR at RBC, TD, Scotia Bank, BMO, Desjardins, National bank of Canada know it...I spoke with some of them and they are really aware that universities like LSE, Imperial College London, Oxbridge and to a lesser extent Warwick are top notsch...When you come from there you are just different from their classical pool of candidates its differenciate you from the others
I don't know the former university but I think that I've heard about Dalhousie the name talks to me a little bit, I'm from quebec (Montréal) and the only ones that i know are UBC (Sauder), University of toronto (Rotman), university of Montréal (HEC Montréal), Mcgill (Desautels), Queen's university...By the way I graduated from HEC Montréal (The most regarded FRENCH BS in Canada) it is the BS of University of Montréal...
Warwick is well established in Europe and even in Canada...My BS in Canada has an exchange program with the BS...The people who are in the matter know it...I think that HR at RBC, TD, Scotia Bank, BMO, Desjardins, National bank of Canada know it...I spoke with some of them and they are really aware that universities like LSE, Imperial College London, Oxbridge and to a lesser extent Warwick are top notsch...When you come from there you are just different from their classical pool of candidates its differenciate you from the others

Yeah I interviewed earlier this year with CIBC WM for an I-banking position and with macquarie with their metals and mining group and just missed the cut. So I was able to get myself out there...I just fear the idea of getting stuck in a second rate school like a SMU and having to claw my way up for so little in return. Though I did talk to someone at RBCCM and they did say Warwick is on their radar screen, however the problem with the big 5 is they tend to hire in Canada and the U.S. ( TD, BMO, Scotia) exporting most of their guys abroad vs. hiring locally, at least that was the case with the london office. BTW, where did you apply so far?

Quick Reply

Latest