The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature B exam - 17/01/2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dyhtps
For Browning in June 2010 it was the patriot that came up wasn't it? and Auden was As I walked out one evening?

For Browing it was the patriot and the pied piper.
Reply 141
Original post by Jen_17
I'm doing The Great Gatsby, Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, Keats and Rime of the Ancient by Coleridge.

Me too... are you at Paston?!
Reply 142
Original post by Mizikei
Me too... are you at Paston?!

No I'm not, wheres that?
Hows the revision going?? x
Reply 143
Original post by Jen_17
No I'm not, wheres that?
Hows the revision going?? x

North Norfolk, there's a Jen in my class and we're doing the same texts!
Eh, not too bad but not too great either! Not looking forward to the exam!
Reply 144
Like 10 days, guys! D:
Reply 145
Original post by esachica
Like 10 days, guys! D:

Scary :afraid:

I'm hoping to really nail this exam and get better than a D in it :sad:

I need 93 out of 120 UMS for an A which dependant on what comes up is possible but I think more realitically I'll be going for the B as I only need 73 to get that :colone:
Reply 146
Wahhh, why can't I be smart like you...

You ARE smart. Relax! :smile:

(I however have worn myself down with all the revision that I have a killer cold right near exam time :frown: )
Reply 147
I need urgent help on structure in 'The Eve of St Agnes'. What could I put down for it? :smile:
Reply 148
Original post by casio99
I need urgent help on structure in 'The Eve of St Agnes'. What could I put down for it? :smile:

It's written in Spenserian stanzas - 9 lines, first 8 are iambic pentameter, last line is an alexandrine/iambic hexameter (which 'throws you out of rhythm' as I've written in my notes).
It's a third person narrative.
There is a transition from past to present in stanza XXII. Stanzas XXVI and XLI are also written in present tense.
The narrator's voice can clearly be heard in the final stanza.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 149
Original post by dyhtps
Scary :afraid:

I'm hoping to really nail this exam and get better than a D in it :sad:

I need 93 out of 120 UMS for an A which dependant on what comes up is possible but I think more realitically I'll be going for the B as I only need 73 to get that :colone:

Christ, I have no idea how to work out UMS and what I need to make what grade :| You advanced thing, you! Or er, perhaps it's just me!

Original post by Popat21
You ARE smart. Relax! :smile:

(I however have worn myself down with all the revision that I have a killer cold right near exam time :frown: )

And not feeling like it, Popattttttt! (WHY POPAT BTW? I NU UNDERSTAND)
Oh noes :frown: Make sure you take it easy yeah? No overdoing yourself.

Also, guyssss, Kite Runners on TV tonight for anyone doing it XD
Reply 150
Christ, I have no idea how to work out UMS and what I need to make what grade :| You advanced thing, you! Or er, perhaps it's just me!

But you are! Popat is my surname :biggrin: Why esachica, esachica?
I am taking it easy, watched Star Wars Ep. 1. (yes, I'm one of THOSE)
Reply 151
Original post by Mizikei
It's written in Spenserian stanzas - 9 lines, first 8 are iambic pentameter, last line is an alexandrine/iambic hexameter (which 'throws you out of rhythm' as I've written in my notes).
It's a third person narrative.
There is a transition from past to present in stanza XXII. Stanzas XXVI and XLI are also written in present tense.
The narrator's voice can clearly be heard in the final stanza.

Hope that helps :smile:

Brilliant. That matches up to some of my notes :smile:

However, doesn't it relate more to form than structure?
Reply 152
Original post by Popat21
But you are! Popat is my surname :biggrin: Why esachica, esachica?
I am taking it easy, watched Star Wars Ep. 1. (yes, I'm one of THOSE)

Thanks XD Oh I see! Well that makes sense. Not gonna lie though, can't ACTUALLY tell your gender! And I have no idea to be honest, it translates as 'that girl' in Spanish and I'm a little Spanish :smile:

Oh you nerd you! Ah well, whatever floats your boast! :tongue:
Reply 153

What channel?

EDIT: NVM, found it BBC 2, watching it for sure :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 154
Thanks XD Oh I see! Well that makes sense. Not gonna lie though, can't ACTUALLY tell your gender! And I have no idea to be honest, it translates as 'that girl' in Spanish and I'm a little Spanish :smile:

Oh you nerd you! Ah well, whatever floats your boast! :tongue:

To put you out of your misery, I'm a girl :smile: HAHA. Ooh a little Spanish, that's quite cool!

Oh I know! Sadly it's finished though so I need to pass my time some other way :smile:
Reply 155
Original post by casio99
Brilliant. That matches up to some of my notes :smile:

However, doesn't it relate more to form than structure?

I'm not sure, I get confused betweent the two :s-smilie:
Reply 156
Original post by Mizikei
I'm not sure, I get confused betweent the two :s-smilie:

You and me both! Anyway, thanks for the help :smile:
Tips for hitting A03 - when talking about a quote, try and give conflicting viewpoints from specific schools of thought. For example, steer away from the general: "some readers may feel.....while others may feel......" Because if you give a specific 'feminist vs religious' or audience of '1st reception vs modern day' ect - you can evaluate them much easier. And evaluating them is something that is Band 5/6.
When i say evaluating them i mean explicitly find the "strengths" and "weaknesses" (as quoted from the band 5 mark scheme). Like i'm doing Rossetti - and because she was a devout christian, a religious reading may be the most useful in understanding her main thoughts and ideas; alternatively feminists may find her avant garde nature of writing empowering or belittling, just find the opinion specific to you.

Hope that helps - i'm kinda sh*tting it tbh, exams coming up :|
Reply 158
Original post by thefirstnotlastsamurai
Tips for hitting A03 - when talking about a quote, try and give conflicting viewpoints from specific schools of thought. For example, steer away from the general: "some readers may feel.....while others may feel......" Because if you give a specific 'feminist vs religious' or audience of '1st reception vs modern day' ect - you can evaluate them much easier. And evaluating them is something that is Band 5/6.
When i say evaluating them i mean explicitly find the "strengths" and "weaknesses" (as quoted from the band 5 mark scheme). Like i'm doing Rossetti - and because she was a devout christian, a religious reading may be the most useful in understanding her main thoughts and ideas; alternatively feminists may find her avant garde nature of writing empowering or belittling, just find the opinion specific to you.

Hope that helps - i'm kinda sh*tting it tbh, exams coming up :|

Have you got any tips on Rossetti generally? I'm doing her too :/
Ugh retaking this. My place on UNI depends on it :frown: Not looking good atm either. I don't understand how this is graded. I think this is a poor exam tbh, failing to reward how well you actually know the novel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending