The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

is the nexus one still a good phone?
Reply 3201
Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
i've never understood rooting a phone, well not initially, but even then i still don't see any reason to root a phone

1) I'm essentially paying 450 for this phone (or more if you accumulate the contract payments - much much more in fact)

so why would i walk into a shop and buy a product which i am not entirely 100% satisfied with :s: i always test out a phone and have a play around with many others when i buy a phone so if i don't like something, i'm not going to buy it.

2) people say that with rooting you can have custom roms

I don't see the need for a custom rom if i'm happy with what i've bought which takes me back to my first point

3) and that you can optimise your phone's hardware

this is a fair point but on the other hand, could you not root a cheaper phone and optimise that and still get a pretty good phone out of it? This is the only real reason why i'd see why someone would want to root a phone. However, as i said in point 1, why would i pay an extortionate amount of money for a phone which i'm not 100% satisfied with - surely that extra mhz that you squeeze out isn't worth another 300 quid

Rooting isn't for everyone and if you're satisfied with your device then as you say, there is no real reason to do it. On the other hand, if you're a techy person and want to get more out of your phone or update to the latest version of Android (assuming the manufacturer is no longer providing OS updates for your model), rooting is something that you may want to consider.
Reply 3202
Original post by itsmyname
is the nexus one still a good phone?

I prefer it to my old iphone. :smile:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Anyone know if there is an app for playing old school pokémon on android?

Get GBCoid if you want to play the originals. I have Pokemon Yellow on my Desire, it works excellently. There's no lag or anything, the only thing that's wrong is Pikachu makes an odd noise.
Original post by G8D
I was under the impression that Gameboid could run older Gameboy games? If it does she's better to just have the one app instead of the two.

Perhaps. Only when I tried that one it wouldn't run older ones. May have been my fault though.:dontknow:
What browser do you guys use? I'm currently stuck between miren and dolphin, what I like about dolphin are gestures/true fullscreen when you scroll down a page a bit. Anyone know if you can get that on miren?
Been using Dolphin HD for the past 2 days and I'm very impressed, love the gestures and generally it's smoother than the Android one.

Worth me switching over to Mini?
Brb playing infinity blade and Rage HD on the beautiful retina display of my iPhone 4.

Original post by Sithius

Original post by Sithius
Brb playing infinity blade and Rage HD on the beautiful retina display of my iPhone 4.

Why would you come in just to post that?

Last time I checked there wasn't any movement to have these games ported over in any way. I can assure you I haven't lost any sleep whatsoever over not having these two games.

Original post by G8D
I was under the impression that Gameboid could run older Gameboy games? If it does she's better to just have the one app instead of the two.

I Googled one time, and apparently GBCoid uses something different from Gameboid, so Gameboid can only play GBA games and GBCoid can play GBC and GB games :proud:

This one time, I tried going up to 710 MHz lol, but things seemed to run more smoothly at 691 :s-smilie:

My keyboard seems a bit more laggy though (I've got CF 1.7.3 atm)

Original post by G8D
Stable at 726 :shades:

726. Hmm. Let me try it.

729's close enough. feels good man
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3211
I use Dolphin HD too :u: Not tried the mini version but I was under the impression it was for phones with lower screen quality? :dontknow:

Original post by Sithius
x

Your only post in the Android OS thread and you don't think it's a bit pathetic?
Reply 3212
I'm only using the stock browser, which is actually pretty usable (for me) now.
Original post by bigmo7
I use Dolphin HD too :u: Not tried the mini version but I was under the impression it was for phones with lower screen quality? :dontknow:

Your only post in the Android OS thread and you don't think it's a bit pathetic?

The OP said he wanted to bitch about the iPhone so I felt like bitching about the Android, albeit more indirectly.
Original post by estel

Original post by estel
I'm only using the stock browser, which is actually pretty usable (for me) now.

This is exactly what I said when my friend suggested I download Dolphin HD, lol I've said this whenever anyone has ever told me to replace my default with X app, pretty much every time the market app is much better. I would at least give it a go, nothing to loose right :dontknow:
Original post by Sithius

Original post by Sithius
The OP said he wanted to bitch about the iPhone so I felt like bitching about the Android, albeit more indirectly.

Ummm Okay :unsure:
Original post by yoyo462001
Been using Dolphin HD for the past 2 days and I'm very impressed, love the gestures and generally it's smoother than the Android one.

Worth me switching over to Mini?

What exactly are gestures?
Do you think the Desire will ever be ~£130?
Original post by MasterJomi

What exactly are gestures?

It's a feature that improves efficiency when browsing. Say for instance I want to go to my bookmarks instead of exiting my full screen mode, the going settings and then bookmarks (or whatever process it usually is). All I do is press the gesture button on my screen then with an imaginary pen I write a symbol and it will take me to bookmarks.

This can be enhanced even more. e.g. I visit engadet often so I have a gesture for it, I press the button then do an EN symbol and it will take me to the site straight away. You can configure any action in the browser to a gesture e.g. with one press of a button I can be on any preconfigured website, access any part of my settings and menu and even switch tab.

It means I never have to come out of Full screen mode.

Here's a video explaining it.

Original post by + polarity -
Do you think the Desire will ever be ~£130?

New - Not for at least 18 months time if even that
Used - Maybe sometime next December I guess. It's been such a popular phone.

Thinking of getting a new phone?

Latest

Trending

Trending