The Student Room Group

CUSU Shadowing Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I went on the CUSU shadowing scheme last year and it was AMAZING!

It really is a good insight into life and studies at Cambridge, and it opened my eyes to the depth of work there!
I shadowed a 2nd year student reading French and Russian (I study French and Spanish) and I got to go to a lecture, translation class and supervision (I also spent an hour or two in the library!)

Anyone who has a place on the scheme already- Well Done! However I was on the reserve list and found out I was going two days before, so if you are on the reserve list, don't fret - there is hope :smile:!

Don't forget about applying for the Sutton Trust Summer School when the time comes! I was fortunate enough to go, and it was such a wonderful experience!

I had my interview at Cam a few weeks ago, and I ended up talking about both the shadowing scheme and the summer school- they are a nice way to break the ice :wink:! Sitting with an offer so I am very very happy!

All the best to potential shadows and shadowees! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!
Original post by Joooanne
I went on the CUSU shadowing scheme last year and it was AMAZING!

It really is a good insight into life and studies at Cambridge, and it opened my eyes to the depth of work there!
I shadowed a 2nd year student reading French and Russian (I study French and Spanish) and I got to go to a lecture, translation class and supervision (I also spent an hour or two in the library!)

Anyone who has a place on the scheme already- Well Done! However I was on the reserve list and found out I was going two days before, so if you are on the reserve list, don't fret - there is hope :smile:!

Don't forget about applying for the Sutton Trust Summer School when the time comes! I was fortunate enough to go, and it was such a wonderful experience!

I had my interview at Cam a few weeks ago, and I ended up talking about both the shadowing scheme and the summer school- they are a nice way to break the ice :wink:! Sitting with an offer so I am very very happy!

All the best to potential shadows and shadowees! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

congrats on getting a place at cam :smile:

im in the first year of sixth form and got a place at both the oxford and cambridge student union run shadowing scheme, im going to be shadowing a natural science student at clare, cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

out of interest, they said the email that we get to try out some activites in workshops and other things organised by the scheme, they said in the email that we're going to get to go to the cambridge union society but thats about the only thing i know of so far, what sort of things did you get to do?

raza :smile:
Hi everyone,

happy new year everyone :smile:

I got an offer from cambridge for their student union run shadowing scheme and am going to be shadowing a natural science student at clare college.

just got a few questions:

who else is coming?

to anyone thats been on/taken part in the scheme, what is it like? what sort of things do you/did you get to do?

how would you describe the experience?

thanks,

Raza :smile:
Reply 43
Im coming I got an offer for medicine at Emmanuel College.
shadowing scheme?

is this some sort of politically correct group of stalkers!?!
where do i sign up?
Reply 45
Original post by Holte Ender
shadowing scheme?

is this some sort of politically correct group of stalkers!?!
where do i sign up?

http://www.cusu.cam.ac.uk/prospective/target/shadowing/
LOOOL
Ur a bit late for this year
Reply 46
I'm going :smile:

I am shadowing a natural sciences - biology student Chris from sewlyn college :smile:

should be good, i have a lot of questions to ask

as for making the grade for cambridge in the future it would be really nice... atm i didn't revise as hard as i could have for these first modules and i hope that i can retake ! :/
Reply 47
I'm going too :smile:

I'm shadowing a Peter from Pembroke College for maths :smile:

Are you guys all going with someone?

x
Reply 48
Hey everyone,

I got in as well - for maths! Going to be shadowing Peter from Pembroke College. :biggrin:
Original post by razachaudhry
Hi everyone,

happy new year everyone :smile:

I got an offer from cambridge for their student union run shadowing scheme and am going to be shadowing a natural science student at clare college.

just got a few questions:

who else is coming?

to anyone thats been on/taken part in the scheme, what is it like? what sort of things do you/did you get to do?

how would you describe the experience?

thanks,

Raza :smile:

Hi Raza - can I direct you to this thread? This has a lot more information.

I'm an MML student at Clare hoping to be shadowed this January / February. The basic aim of the scheme is to offer an insight into life at Cambridge by inviting you to follow a current student for a few days. This means that you get to experience everything that they do - the mad morning rush to lectures, supervisions, language classes, seminars... Apart from that, there are several other activities put on: I've heard tell of a debating workshop run by the Cambridge Union.

Which reminds me - it's worth just clarifying something here. The Cambridge Union is the name of the debating society at Cambridge University (as well as its building), whilst the Shadowing Scheme as a whole is run by the Cambridge University Students' Union.

Hope this helps!
I was shadowed last year, and I definitely had fun - I think my shadow did as well! Just to add to what Languages Nutter says: what you do will really depend on what your shadow has timetabled that day. For NatSci I'd imagine you'd have a reasonably full day. As it happens, the day my shadow came, I didn't actually have much timetabled, only one hour of translation classes. So I took her to that class, went to a lecture for a paper I don't actually do, and arranged for her to go to a friend's supervision. We went round town a bit, saw some sights, and CUSU arrange social activities, like a formal dinner (don't worry about dressing up in suits/dresses, it's an informal formal dinner), and a pub quiz, debating workshop etc. I think my shadow went to a supervision rather than the workshop, so I mean, it's flexible. If you find something you'd rather do, or the person you're following suggests something else, go for it. I hear the debating workshop is really good though! Oh, and you might well get to know the other shadows (it sounds so sinister like that! :x ) at your college, since you'll be having (free!) meals there together with the other shadows and their students. Everyone will have a slightly different experience because the people their shadows will have different timetables, different subjects, different personalities etc, but I think there's enough planned to keep everyone busy, but also enough free time to get to know people and explore a bit!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 51
I got in for medicine Prem from Emmanuel College
Reply 52
Original post by razachaudhry
congrats on getting a place at cam :smile:

im in the first year of sixth form and got a place at both the oxford and cambridge student union run shadowing scheme, im going to be shadowing a natural science student at clare, cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

out of interest, they said the email that we get to try out some activites in workshops and other things organised by the scheme, they said in the email that we're going to get to go to the cambridge union society but thats about the only thing i know of so far, what sort of things did you get to do?

raza :smile:

Ahh well done you! I stayed at Clare when I went...it is amazing! So so pretty! Also I had a really nice ensuite room, so I hope you experience the same!

When I went, on the first night there was a "formal welcome dinner" though it was not formal at all - just everyone eating dinner in a formal hall getting to know each other! There was also a debating workshop at the union, which I went to, which was good and a good chance to meet people! That might be the activity they have said to you, however it may be different this year! On the last night, there was a non-alcoholic pub quiz (lol!) in the JCR of Trinity Hall which was great bant, and after we persuaded a few of the co-ordinators to take us on a night tour of Cambridge, which was probably one of my best memories of the whole experience! Then on the final morning we had an admissions talk, just summarising the application process at Cambridge and answering any questions. After, a bunch of us just wandered round Cambridge, got lunch etc until buses/trains were leaving.

What you will do, depends a lot on the time table of the student you will be shadowing. I got to go to a lecture, supervision, translation class and spent some time in the library doing work! I didn't have much time to "look around" Cambridge due to the busy timetable, but I know lots of others who went on mini tours with their student, went to labs and a few went to museums as well!

Overall it really is a great experience! Make the most of it :smile:!
Original post by Gémeaux
Everyone who got an offer to take part in the shadowing scheme - you know we are asked to e-mail back stating that we accept the offer or not, has anyone received a confirmation e-mail yet? Thanks in advance :smile:

I emailed to confirm I wanted the place, saying I'd attached the parental consent forms and everything - and then they emailed back as I'd forgotten to attach the forms! :eek:

Obviously I VERY quickly emailed the forms with an email that said "sorry!" lol, but I haven't heard back since then :s-smilie: maybe they hate me now or think I'm crazy :tongue:...
Reply 54
Hey! I went on this last year :smile: If you go on the website about last years, I won the Photo Competition :biggrin: I shadowed some 2nd year medics from Clare, but was housed in St. John's because there wasn't enough room at Clare, so I was above the sweet shop. I absolutely loved it. I never thought about applying to Cam before that but after I went it was amazing. I have been rejected post interview, which was annoying, but I still loved my experiences there. It really shows you that it's just a normal university with amazingly cool people :smile: Anyone with questions feel free to ask me :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by Niki_girl
I emailed to confirm I wanted the place, saying I'd attached the parental consent forms and everything - and then they emailed back as I'd forgotten to attach the forms! :eek:

Obviously I VERY quickly emailed the forms with an email that said "sorry!" lol, but I haven't heard back since then :s-smilie: maybe they hate me now or think I'm crazy :tongue:...

I havent got any conformation yet .... I sent of the both the parental consent form and my approval still no response been about 2 days now ...
Reply 56
Original post by TheMeister

The pub quiz was really naff last year, at least, it was the week I went :tongue:

You were at the same pub quiz as me weren't you? My team won :wink: GO OXFORD REJECTS :biggrin: - I'm now officially both an Oxford and a Cambridge reject too :wink:
I'm shadowing someone called Sam from Jesus College. He does Natsci (phys/chem), so it should be fun. I'm really looking forward to it.

What do we need to take in terms of clothes and anything else we might need though? I don't want to spend the whole time in a suit, if everyone's going to be really casual, but I don't want to be casual if other people will be smart...
Original post by kayla:)
You were at the same pub quiz as me weren't you? My team won :wink: GO OXFORD REJECTS :biggrin: - I'm now officially both an Oxford and a Cambridge reject too :wink:

haha, nah I wasn't unfortunately! I was with that Brummie guy and a rather shaky woman - don't know if that rings any bells (we were hid behind the bar so you might not have even known if we were there :tongue:)
I actually did think that I would have helped whatever team I was on, win, but it turned out that I'm not that great at football :biggrin:

Original post by Not_The_Messiah
I'm shadowing someone called Sam from Jesus College. He does Natsci (phys/chem), so it should be fun. I'm really looking forward to it.

What do we need to take in terms of clothes and anything else we might need though? I don't want to spend the whole time in a suit, if everyone's going to be really casual, but I don't want to be casual if other people will be smart...

You really do not need to wear a suit! I was allocated Jesus when I went shadowing this time last year - really, no one else wears a suit and it's all very informal and believe me, the students are not going to get their gladrags on for another student (unless they're in the process of wooing!). Given that you're staying at Jesus you'll probably be allocated a room in Chapel Court (though it is being done up at this moment in time so perhaps not) but for argument's sake, let's say you were, there'll be a sink, a wardrobe, bed and some curtains. Make sure to bring all bare essentials like toothpaste and the such, oh and make sure you pack layers, it's cold this time of year!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 59

Quick Reply