The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Original post by c.andy
Hey, I got an offer at St John's for Land Economy :smile:

Congratulations :biggrin: I haven't seen many applicants from St John's here so far!!
Original post by Mc^3
Sounds a bit unusual, but I guess it's because he's already done 5/6 modules, and if he's done well in the previous 5, he may already be guaranteed an a/a*. The STEP condition is fairly standard, and although the rest of the offer is a little harder than most, STEP is, and will remain, by far the hardest part of the offer, so I wouldn't fret too much about the other conditions. May I ask which college this is for, which maths modules have been done, what the marks were, and if there is any particular reason for the offer e.g. young applicant/CSAS? Having said all this, it could just be a typo, and it is probably worth consulting the college admissions office
EDIT: There also appears to be a rather large elephant in the household, which is that he did get an offer, so i don't really understand the gloom!

I got the 'excluding maths'. I only just realised, I assumed it meant I couldn't get my A* in maths but its just discounted by the looks of it. I am doing 4 A levels, It seems a little odd as my 4th is computing and not really related.

Why would they not just give me A*AAA instead? Weird or what.
Original post by whatsthestory
Wow! Studying Medicine at Cambridge is top. Well done, I'm impressed! :P
Saaaaame here! I panicked during my first interview and thought it would undermine my whole application. Was just about ready to face a rejection, as painful as it seemed.
But I originally applied to Clare, got pooled, fished out straightaway by Selwyn, and then made an offer straightaway, without further interviewing! I actually got the Selwyn offer email before I even got the Clare letter saying I'd been pooled haha.
This is soooo exciting! :biggrin: Was yours conditional or unconditional?

Haha thanks! It's actually more shocking than impressive though :tongue:
Its a conditional offer - A*AAB so it's not impossible! You?
Wow, I've never heard of anyone getting fished that fast - you must be goood lol
Aaaaah I can't wait to get there! Have you seen Selwyn before? It's amazing :smile:
Reply 503
Course: Natural Sciences (Bio)
College: Downing
Offer: A*AA (In any of my 4 subjects- Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics)

The letter came on Thursday and I was petrified when I noticed it was rather thin!!!

Still as excited as I was on Thursday about the offer but i'm now trying to convert the excitement into motivation to revise and actually meet my offer! :tongue:
Reply 504
Original post by Melanie-v
Has anyone here got a NatSci offer from Downing?

Congrats to you guys :biggrin: We might see each other next year :tongue:

I have! :biggrin: I can't wait to go! I loved Downing when I went, although the rather sad thing is that the thing that swung me towards applying there was the food ::redface:!!! Do you want to study the physical or biological side of the course? :smile:
Economics at Emmanuel - A*AA :biggrin:
Reply 506
Original post by solomonasch
Newnham (through the pool- originally applied to Queens)
PPS
Conditional offer

:smile:
any other newnhams?

---
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Larry777
I have! :biggrin: I can't wait to go! I loved Downing when I went, although the rather sad thing is that the thing that swung me towards applying there was the food ::redface:!!! Do you want to study the physical or biological side of the course? :smile:

Physical. What about you?

Haha, for me it was the buildings. The admissions staff too. They put up with a gibbering me, how could I not like them - they were just plain friendly.
Reply 508
Original post by Deadman Hunter
Economics at Emmanuel - A*AA :biggrin:

Hey congrats :biggrin: same as me :smile:
Reply 509
Original post by eudemonia
I'm a bit new to this - but have an A*AA offer for English at St Catherine's. Over the moon! But can't seem to find any other English offer holders...

offer for english literature at newnham college, it's nice to find someone else in the wilderness of offers, congratulations :smile: how're you feeling?!?! X
Reply 510
Original post by asdfgah
Yep, I have an offer for philosophy at Newnham! :smile: Hopefully see you there in October!

offer for english at newham! ahhh this is so exciting seeing other people who got into the college, how surreal! congratulations! X
Original post by jos10
Hey congrats :biggrin: same as me :smile:

Thanks. Will (hopefully) be seeing you in October.

Did you have Dr. Aldred w/ a postgrad + Dr. Howell w/ another chap? Clearly it didn't go as badly as I thought (screwed up a basic probability question :cool:).
It's funny how worried I was about the whole "thin letter= rejection" thing before I got my offer, but now I think that it was pointless worrying.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
It's funny how worried I was about the whole "thin letter= rejection" thing before I got my offer, but now I think that it was pointless worrying.

You deserve your offer, well done!!!! :biggrin:
Original post by CountDuckula

Original post by CountDuckula
Haha thanks! It's actually more shocking than impressive though :tongue:
Its a conditional offer - A*AAB so it's not impossible! You?
Wow, I've never heard of anyone getting fished that fast - you must be goood lol
Aaaaah I can't wait to get there! Have you seen Selwyn before? It's amazing :smile:

Yeah it's not impossible! C'mon, you can do this! :smile:
I'm getting the details of my offer (which is conditional btw) through the post late next week, so I don't know yet. But I'm not doing A-levels, I'm doing the OIB (mixture of French Bac + two A-level equivalents) and I live in France - and still no Clare letter saying I've been pooled! But anyway
As a matter of fact, I've never been to Selwyn... I'm thinking of popping round sometime before the summer, just to get a feel of how amazing it must be to be a Selwyn-ian and to give me extra motivation to do well in my Bac and get the grades!
Heehee. :biggrin:
Original post by eudemonia
I'm a bit new to this - but have an A*AA offer for English at St Catherine's. Over the moon! But can't seem to find any other English offer holders...

Robinson :smile:
Reply 516
Anyone for Land Economy or at Selwyn College?
Reply 517
Anyone for Trinity? :biggrin:
Original post by maka9
Law, Magdalene, Cambridge :smile:

:biggrin: Congrats! Another future Magdalenite. See you in 9 months time!
Reply 519
Original post by tessfoley
Anyone for Trinity? :biggrin:

Yes we need more of us! :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending