The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Well done everyone!!!! Looking so much to Emma!!! When do we start to look at things such as accommodation etc.
I got a conditional offer for Engineering at Selwyn :biggrin: - seems like there's quite a few people going selwyn on TSR :P
Reply 522
Original post by Larry777

Original post by Melanie-v

Yay Downing people :biggrin:.
When were you guys down for interview? We might have met without realising :tongue:
Reply 523
Original post by anttooking
I got the 'excluding maths'. I only just realised, I assumed it meant I couldn't get my A* in maths but its just discounted by the looks of it. I am doing 4 A levels, It seems a little odd as my 4th is computing and not really related.

Why would they not just give me A*AAA instead? Weird or what.

MathBoy is doing 4 A2s - Maths, Further, Physics and Latin. What does Latin have to do with Maths? Nothing, but I guess the thinking is that they want you to show that you can cope with 3 A levels in a sitting - MB has done most of his Maths A2 already and will finish it in January, so would have been doing only Physics, Further Maths and STEP in the Summer without his 4th A level. Sigh...
If any Downing offer holders want advice, feel free to quote / PM me :smile:

I will just say though - don't worry about accommodation, Downing don't sort ANYTHING until after results day (or haven't for the past few years) :smile:
Reply 525
Original post by l4ith
Yes we need more of us! :cool:

We really do :smile:, i've only seen 3 medical applicants including us I wanna know who else is about :P
Original post by Schnecke
Yay Downing people :biggrin:.
When were you guys down for interview? We might have met without realising :tongue:

On the 7th. It was a tuesday. I think Felix... was there on the same day, but I didn't see him. :tongue:
I actually thought that most of my interview was terrible, but hey. :biggrin:

When was yours?
Original post by Topaz_eyes

I will just say though - don't worry about accommodation, Downing don't sort ANYTHING until after results day (or haven't for the past few years) :smile:

Do you know when we have to sort finance out by? I'm assuming it'll be the same for all colleges.
Thanks.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Do you know when we have to sort finance out by? I'm assuming it'll be the same for all colleges.
Thanks.

Colleges do it differently, they'll ask you to send forms off at different times. Just do student finance as you would for any university, and your college will write to you saying "send us x form by dd/mm/yy"... then do it! :tongue:
Colleges do it differently, they'll ask you to send forms off at different times. Just do student finance as you would for any university, and your college will write to you saying "send us x form by dd/mm/yy"... then do it! :tongue:

Ahh, ok, thanks.
I was worried I was meant to have sorted something out by now :colondollar:
Reply 530
On the 7th. It was a tuesday. I think Felix... was there on the same day, but I didn't see him. :tongue:
I actually thought that most of my interview was terrible, but hey. :biggrin:

When was yours?

Mine was on the 6th and mixed, one good one bad. You got the offer so they can't have been too bad :tongue:. I still can't quite believe it, I keep checking my letter :rolleyes:
Downing College
Law
Conditional A*AA

Anyone else? :smile:
Anyone for Education Studies and/or Homerton? :biggrin:
Original post by MathMum
MathBoy is doing 4 A2s - Maths, Further, Physics and Latin. What does Latin have to do with Maths? Nothing, but I guess the thinking is that they want you to show that you can cope with 3 A levels in a sitting - MB has done most of his Maths A2 already and will finish it in January, so would have been doing only Physics, Further Maths and STEP in the Summer without his 4th A level. Sigh...

Well MB would still have had to do the 4th A2 as part of the offer says that you must continue with any exams that you say you are doing. I have an A*AA offer with A* in FM and As in Physics and Maths but I am also doing DT and that is not included in the offer. I am pretty sure I can't just drop it now even though it requires the most work because of the project.
My sister had an A*AA offer last year and she had started off year 13 doing 4 A2s but before she handed in her application she had decided not to continue with FM A2 so it was not part of her application. She then did her maths A2 (3 modules) in January got her A* and carried on with just 2 A levels.
I do think a lot of their offers this year are really 2 A* offers as if I can get A* in FM then I should be able to get it in Maths. (Btw I am only predicted A in FM)
Original post by KittyJay

Original post by KittyJay
PPS at Clare
A*AA in any of my A2s

Anyone else Clare/PPS?
Congratulations everyone :smile:

yeahhhhhhhh im PPS too :smile: got pooled from Queens and got a place at Newnham :smile:

are you more psychology or politicsy?
Original post by tessfoley
Anyone for Trinity? :biggrin:

Original post by l4ith
Yes we need more of us! :cool:

I got an offer from Trinity for Engineering :biggrin:

Hope to see you this October!
Original post by Schnecke
Mine was on the 6th and mixed, one good one bad. You got the offer so they can't have been too bad :tongue:. I still can't quite believe it, I keep checking my letter :rolleyes:

Yeah, me too. I'm always worried there's been a mistake and they'll say "oh, sorry, there was a mix-up" :rolleyes:
Maybe the chemistry guys took pity on me - I didn't manage to get the door open properly on the way out. Darn those english knobs :tongue:

You're a mathmo, right? What was your offer? ^^
Reply 537
Yeah, me too. I'm always worried there's been a mistake and they'll say "oh, sorry, there was a mix-up" :rolleyes:
Maybe the chemistry guys took pity on me - I didn't manage to get the door open properly on the way out. Darn those english knobs :tongue:

You're a mathmo, right? What was your offer? ^^

Argh that would be awful.
It's AA (I've already got an A*), and 1,2 in STEP. Which is a very good offer considering what some people on here have got. How about you?

Hey, do you know what the protocol is on sending off exam certificates etc? The letter was a bit vague.
Reply 538
Original post by Doughnuts!!
It's funny how worried I was about the whole "thin letter= rejection" thing before I got my offer, but now I think that it was pointless worrying.

This.

The best/worst/most terrifying rumour was the "rejections are sent by second class and offers by first" one. That would be pure evil!

Congratulations on your offer btw! And on your colourful academic info haha
Reply 539
Original post by .:VivaLaVida:.
A*AA :smile: Are you doing medicine there too?

No, I'm doing bio NatSci. My offer was A*AAA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending