The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey, would people mind taking a minute to fill out my EPQ questionnaire? My deadline is quite soon D:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1479573
Reply 1401
Hey guys! Im first year college who took on board EPQ!!

My title is pretty lengthy, and i plan only to describe what it says and not the actual real words i've chosen (for plagarism reasons)

Its basically a question which says - in brief : "Where will this advancing technology take us? - In communication technology"

Is this detailed enough? I mean, i have specified an area and i have specified a question. I like the title (which i have not mentioned) so much, but maybe it's better that i change NOT THE TOPIC but the style of the question?!

Please give me your thoughts, opinions and questions if any.

Thanks.
XeNOmEX
Hey guys! Im first year college who took on board EPQ!!

My title is pretty lengthy, and i plan only to describe what it says and not the actual real words i've chosen (for plagarism reasons)

Its basically a question which says - in brief : "Where will this advancing technology take us? - In communication technology"

Is this detailed enough? I mean, i have specified an area and i have specified a question. I like the title (which i have not mentioned) so much, but maybe it's better that i change NOT THE TOPIC but the style of the question?!

Please give me your thoughts, opinions and questions if any.

Thanks.

Hi there!

First off, it's pretty hard to comment on your title without reading it! From what you've said though, it seems like you have a good idea of where you want to go.

You should consider whether in the length of your title you are saying anything useful or just rambling/using flowery language.

Also, maybe have one point of interest with regards to your 'where'? You are likely to find alot of thoughts on this topic when you start reading, so it's going to be hard to tie them all up neatly if you don't have any particular focus point.
Some ideas: in domestic life/in business/for international relations/for awesome space stuff (????)/other.
Depends how much you find when you research, but I would advise at least considering narrowing it.
(If you're worried about plagiarism, I've already done my EPQ so if you want to pm it to me I might be able to give you better advice :smile: )
My school do the EPQ and i did it last year on the medici family. My school graded it at an A* and yet when i went on results day my results said got an E. This happened to 3 girls in my year and several others went down as well. My school complained to the board but they did not want to hear and refused to put up any of the marks. They gave me a terrible excuse for my grade going down and this has possibly effected my chances of getting a very good uni (I got 5 A's apart from that) and so I have had a really bad time with the EPQ which i worked really hard on. I am now doing it again and hope this time that when my school mark it the stupid board will not come up with terrible excuses and mark my work down by 6 grades. This was also not just in my school it happened to loads of school near us as well.
Original post by peach.plum.pear
oh thats really cool, where abouts are you going to do your work experience? i went to aachen (near koln) last febuary and i did mine in a museum! it was soo fun working, you'll love it!

hi again, im so sorry for the extremely late reply! i went to emsdetten about 2 hours away from koln and absolutely loved it, working in a grundschule there! are you doing an epq? what are you doing it on and how's it going? :smile:
Reply 1405
Original post by sarahmaloney
This was also not just in my school it happened to loads of school near us as well.

That is shocking to be honest. It is also quite worrying seeing as though i am one of the first people in my sixth form to take onboard the EPQ project. I hope this doesnt happen to my school. What region are you in?
Original post by sarahmaloney
My school do the EPQ and i did it last year on the medici family. My school graded it at an A* and yet when i went on results day my results said got an E. This happened to 3 girls in my year and several others went down as well. My school complained to the board but they did not want to hear and refused to put up any of the marks. They gave me a terrible excuse for my grade going down and this has possibly effected my chances of getting a very good uni (I got 5 A's apart from that) and so I have had a really bad time with the EPQ which i worked really hard on. I am now doing it again and hope this time that when my school mark it the stupid board will not come up with terrible excuses and mark my work down by 6 grades. This was also not just in my school it happened to loads of school near us as well.

Wow, what was their reason? Did your school mark it completely incorrectly or something?:eek:
I'm just wondering, is it possible to do an extended project on creating an online business and then actually create an online business as the 'product'? If I could, what sort of research will I have to do?
Original post by ForFreedom
Wow, what was their reason? Did your school mark it completely incorrectly or something?:eek:

They said it was because my title was not sufficiently detailed...surely that would not bring me down 6 grades.
Hi all

I got my grade for the AQA EPQ today...B and 16 points.

Can anyone tell me what the points bit means? Like what is it out of, since I thought it was out of 50...

I got my result today - an A :biggrin:
Its good to know that all the work I put into it does not go unnoticed
Our year group as a whole did not do very well though

EDIT: I have no idea about the points, on my results sheet there was just an empty space in the points column
(edited 13 years ago)
does no one else's school give the option of presenting it in any other form than a 5000 word essay? (aqa epq)
I am nowhere near arty enough to do any other form but just wondering :smile:
Reply 1412
Original post by <3 inbetweener D
does no one else's school give the option of presenting it in any other form than a 5000 word essay? (aqa epq)
I am nowhere near arty enough to do any other form but just wondering :smile:

Yeh mine allows you to do anything you want. Having said that I chose the 5000 word essay.. a bit hard to do much else on my topic about Stars :tongue:
Hi,

I'm doing my EPQ and need a title idea, it can be on anything and i can make something, write an essay or do an investigation on literally anything and need help getting an idea!
(The nerdier the more impressive it looks on UCAS reference)

My first thoughts based on interests are:

Something to do with crime, maybe relating to if technology has helped to aid the criminals or police more or if its possible to carry out the perfect crime/murder (worried about sounding like a psycho for this one but would be really interesting and friends have said that sounds good)
or something to do with astronomy, space and the stars. (But i have no idea more than that!)

I really love football as well... but any interesting ideas are appreciated!

Thanks.
Im completly stuck on an idea for a title :/

My first thoughts based on interests are:

Something to do with crime, maybe relating to if technology has helped to aid the criminals or police more or if its possible to carry out the perfect crime/murder (worried about sounding like a psycho for this one but would be really interesting and friends have said that sounds good)
or something to do with astronomy, space and the stars. (But i have no idea more than that!)

I really love football as well... but any interesting ideas are appreciated!

Thanks.
Reply 1415
Hey there! I need some advice :smile:

Basically my college makes students do the extended project, but I simply have not yet found the time to do any of it so far this year and am worried that trying to do it alongside my other four a-levels might make the latter suffer. I didn't mention the EP in my personal statement, but it has cropped up in my UCAS form. So I was planning on emailing the universities that have given me offers and asking whether dropping the EP would affect my offer at all. Is this a good idea, or might they change their opinion of me? Obviously if they say it's still part of the offer then I will continue, however I thought it was worth a try (nowhere that I can see does it say it is part of it).

Thanks!
Reply 1416
Wnt slightly over the limit with 11.000 words on Why Obama won the election in 2008
Got A* :biggrin: I could not believe it; yes I worked hard but it was all last-minute. I completely effed the presentation up too, humiliating myself in front of teachers and friends, but I suppose I did manage to pull it back together again after the first few mins. All in all, I'm very happy!

My tips for you guys:

-- Do it little and often. The EPQ is meant to be FUN. Being typical, I was unable to have fun because I procrastinated until about 2 weeks before the deadline and then had a nightmare trying to get it all together. So start early, and spread your workload!

-- Don't aim too high. My original idea was to do a chronology of China dating from the First Emperor's reign to modern times. In the end my project was composed of three 'artefacts' that between them only spanned about 40 years, and I didn't even do half of what I eventually settled to do! As long as you manage to tie your project up, it's fine to leave it in a state of 'unfinishedness' (the production log, evaluation and evidence of planning/organisation etc is more important)

-- That's another thing, try to be original. There were a lot of people who did the 5000 wd essays, but you could make a film, do a performance, make a sculpture etc. There's even a way to wangle sticking with the writing but doing less than 5000 words: do an 'artefact' instead of an essay. For me this meant writing a series of letters/ reports; my friend did a letter I think in Shakespearian hand and dialogue. Also try to avoid the cliches? Like the death penalty, abortion, euthanasia etc. I mean of course you can do excellent projects with those options, if you're really into it; it's just a little boring, and I have to say I yawned when I saw those titles on the presentation programme.

-- Prepare for the presentation. Unless you want to look really stupid. I made mine on the day it was supposed to be done (not recommended!!) and was a nervous gibbering wreck when I got up to present. I was going in there with the view to improvise, and did not do this well as I was unsure of the direction I was travelling in. Thankfully, I was able to get into the swing of things, and because I'd been doing a lot of research I think my knowledge of my topic and my passion for it started to show. Be alert for questions

-- Talk lots with friends and spark ideas off each other. That's how I got my ideas. And butter up your supervisor! I definitely think being on good terms with mine helped me.

:smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
spepe
Wnt slightly over the limit with 11.000 words on Why Obama won the election in 2008

Oops.
Reply 1419
Got my results for my EPQ today, A, 22 points. I've been told the points are to do with doing it as part of a diploma but...
...how do I convert the points into a UMS grade?
I have no idea what I got out of 50, other than that it must be between 30 and 45. An it can't be double the points because some people have got 26 points. 24 points is an A* so I think it was a relatively high A?

Also hoping universities willlike the fact I did it in Year 11 and the first half term of Year 12...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending