The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medicine Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by infernalcradle
hmm...agreed on that one....its just that I have a UKCAT of 725 and so its really really annoying/worrying...

ps. has anyone got offers yet or do they interview everyone and then hand them out

Hey. I've got a UkCAT of 680. I got my interview offer on the 5th of janurary through mail (because I asked them for a quick feedback as I am an international and I should sign up and pay the fees for the A level exams by the end of this month.... so they kinda had to tell me if i get an interview or not as early as possibile.) They replied to my email after a few hours. Obviously there are more interviews to come. Mine is on 1st of february eventhough i was expecting to get one in march given that I've seen people with interviews for late february. So yeah... The upper Post is right - You will get an interview for sure!
Reply 641
hmm...agreed on that one....its just that I have a UKCAT of 725 and so its really really annoying/worrying...

ps. has anyone got offers yet or do they interview everyone and then hand them out

I know the feeling, I've got a UKCAT score well above the cut-off like u, and I've heard nothing :frown:. I'm getting seriously pissed off - I hate waiting. I've had other interviews, so seemingly there is nothing 'wrong' with my application.

I just wish they would hurry up. It'll probably be March if I get an interview :frown:.

I still haven't heard anything either :frown:

I had to email them the other day though because the post in my area has been seriously disrupted due to more bad weather, so I decided to ask if they had sent me an invite to interview and I hadn't received it yet. They hadn't, but I was told that interviews are "still being scheduled on an ongoing basis".

I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us :smile:
Original post by Georgie Doll
I still haven't heard anything either :frown:

I had to email them the other day though because the post in my area has been seriously disrupted due to more bad weather, so I decided to ask if they had sent me an invite to interview and I hadn't received it yet. They hadn't, but I was told that interviews are "still being scheduled on an ongoing basis".

I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us :smile:

then I shall keep hope...although I'll probbably give them a shout if nothing has happened by feburary
Reply 644
Original post by rachel6286
I work as a pharmacist in a hospital and several of the doctors have told me Glasgow love to do the whole good cop, bad cop thing... And apparently they still do it when interviewing for training places later on in life too...

aw no way!! it really threw me because they attempted good cop bad cop in my school when practising but because i knew the teachers it was easy. plus, they were nowhere near as harsh as this interviewer. guess i'd better get used to it though if it's what glasgow like to do. i just don't see the point in them doing it. i can understand them wanting to put me under pressure but they've done it to the point where it's put me off the uni!!
Reply 645
Original post by dmz
I had two women, one was pretty nice and once was starting straight at my mouth with her head tilted and kept interrupting to ask a totally different question, lol but fun. Reckon they're playing good cop bad cop?

yeah sounds like the woman i had who kept interrupting, except i didn't notice her staring at my mouth! defo good cop bad cop :frown: i still feel quite sad thinking back, total lack of prep and i was completely naive going in. gutted!
Reply 646
Also health conditions that apply to West Scotland.

These are basically
- heart disease
- lung disease
- could also mention trauma cases as increased knife crime

How could it be improved?
- stop smoking, drinking, eating
- start exercising

Obviously. Very summaried. But pretty much the essense.

Might be worthwhile knowing about differences in NHS Scotland/England
The only ones I can think of off the top of my head is cervical screening ages, 21 in Scotland 25 in England, could mention that but if you do make sure you know about cervical screening & why its done & what the arguements are for the diff ages

And also that a person under 16 can refuse treatment in scotland but technically not England

I have no idea what white papers, etc, are so (a) don't worry about it if you don't and (b) can someone tell me? :p:
Reply 647
Original post by G550NDH
How was she rude ? :smile:

i just felt like she was completely intrusive. i know they're supposed to be intrusive as it's an interview but some of the stuff she was asking and saying was harsh. i just didn't like the way she behaved, her mannerisms and everything! i guess you just come across people like that though who make you feel uncomfortable
Reply 648
Original post by tilly_tot
i just felt like she was completely intrusive. i know they're supposed to be intrusive as it's an interview but some of the stuff she was asking and saying was harsh. i just didn't like the way she behaved, her mannerisms and everything! i guess you just come across people like that though who make you feel uncomfortable

What was her name? Because I think I can guess! (PM please or description rather than post it here)

Most people here are lovely btw, and if I'm thinking of the same person then even she is when she's not being scary :smile:
Reply 649
Original post by G550NDH
*grab*

Re-posting:

You need to EVERYTHING there is to know about the course. Know what PBL is. Know about plenaries, FRS, lectures, VS. Know why you like that kind of course and also know what the negatives are. Electives, SSCs etc.

Be prepared for a question about how you would feel it that changed. Unlikely they'd ask it but don't be caught out if they do. I'd talk about change is a natural progress and builds on lessons previously learnt or something like that.

There are lots of questions about the course. Also know your PS, have something to say about everything you wrote on there.

Know some current event issues related to medicine. Look on the BBC health website (i made it my homepage so I was always up to date) and get a feel for several items and then choose two items and know them inside out so that you can talk about them if asked.

Then I'd just form opinions on issues like euthanasia, abortion. Know about the european time directive and form an opinion on that. know about the career progression of a doctor (FY1, etc etc)

hope that helps.
Reply 650
Also, which one of you was it that promised me food in return for advice? :colone: 'Cos I can't remember your username, humph.
Reply 651
Original post by lekky
Also health conditions that apply to West Scotland.

These are basically
- heart disease
- lung disease
- could also mention trauma cases as increased knife crime

How could it be improved?
- stop smoking, drinking, eating
- start exercising

Obviously. Very summaried. But pretty much the essense.

Might be worthwhile knowing about differences in NHS Scotland/England
The only ones I can think of off the top of my head is cervical screening ages, 21 in Scotland 25 in England, could mention that but if you do make sure you know about cervical screening & why its done & what the arguements are for the diff ages

And also that a person under 16 can refuse treatment in scotland but technically not England

I have no idea what white papers, etc, are so (a) don't worry about it if you don't and (b) can someone tell me? :p:

Did you just become a mod? and thanks for the tips, was quite useful for the interview :smile:

yeah sounds like the woman i had who kept interrupting, except i didn't notice her staring at my mouth! defo good cop bad cop :frown: i still feel quite sad thinking back, total lack of prep and i was completely naive going in. gutted!

good chance we had the same woman, the first question i obviously nearly had memorised and i was okay with the first two after that which kinda helped my confidence, if u like screw up the first few question with the way she was it would have kinda wrecked you

First time she did it i was taken aback then i realise what she was tryna do and just cut to the chase as quick as i could and i managed to answer all the questions, could have done one or two better but u win some, lose some
Reply 652
Original post by lekky
Also, which one of you was it that promised me food in return for advice? :colone: 'Cos I can't remember your username, humph.

That would be me :colone:
Reply 653
Original post by dmz
Did you just become a mod? and thanks for the tips, was quite useful for the interview :smile:

A few weeks ago yes :smile:

Also guys -- I did say "I don't know" to a question in my interview, so please don't panic. I really do think they're just trying to get a gauge of what type of person you are and whether you really want this rather than trick you out.
Reply 654
Original post by lekky
What was her name? Because I think I can guess! (PM please or description rather than post it here)

Most people here are lovely btw, and if I'm thinking of the same person then even she is when she's not being scary :smile:

I think she was acting, was nice to me when i came in and also when i left, but made it clear she wasn't your friend during the process, lol,

i think she was freckled, not sure, i only remembered the other one's name who was a GP she was really nice.
Reply 655
Original post by dmz

good chance we had the same woman, the first question i obviously nearly had memorised and i was okay with the first two after that which kinda helped my confidence, if u like screw up the first few question with the way she was it would have kinda wrecked you

First time she did it i was taken aback then i realise what she was tryna do and just cut to the chase as quick as i could and i managed to answer all the questions, could have done one or two better but u win some, lose some

see i didn't really plan, i was hoping to be impulsive and stuff. i had a rough idea with some questions and with my medical circumstances i can basically just real off true stories about why i want to be a doctor. but the stuff they were asking me about the course and open day and thing i didn't really know! i rambled and she caught me out straight away! probably same woman, yeah
Reply 656
Original post by lekky
A few weeks ago yes :smile:

Also guys -- I did say "I don't know" to a question in my interview, so please don't panic. I really do think they're just trying to get a gauge of what type of person you are and whether you really want this rather than trick you out.

there was no trick questions to be honest,
Reply 657
Original post by dmz
That would be me :colone:

Aha! Well. I've not forgotten :teeth:
Reply 658
see i didn't really plan, i was hoping to be impulsive and stuff. i had a rough idea with some questions and with my medical circumstances i can basically just real off true stories about why i want to be a doctor. but the stuff they were asking me about the course and open day and thing i didn't really know! i rambled and she caught me out straight away! probably same woman, yeah

Oh i see, it was my first interview letter in 2yrs of applying to 8 uni's so i kinda re read what they wanted and understood the course really well, like advantages, disadvantages compared to other courses etc, also read the isc interview and understood 2 issues/research that uni of glasgow was involved in, i was still under prepared to a lot of people but they only asked me what i knew

other teaching methods* not courses
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 659
Original post by lekky
Aha! Well. I've not forgotten :teeth:

:smile: I'll be sure to come after you cos it's probably gonna be my only interview by the look of things

Assuming i get in

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending