The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Proximus
I am for Trinity as well, Maths :awesome:

Congrats on getting the offer! May I ask your offer conditions?
My friend got an A*AA (in maths, fmaths, physics, in any order) and SS in STEP 2 and 3 offer from Trinity for Maths. The SS is just so shocking, I couldn't believe it at first

Another Trinity mathmo :awesome: How are you feeling about STEP?
Original post by Hermione17
My friend got an A*AA (in maths, fmaths, physics, in any order) and SS in STEP 2 and 3 offer from Trinity for Maths. The SS is just so shocking, I couldn't believe it at first

:lolwut:
Wow, so no pressure then. :teehee:

SS :eek: I feel sorry for your friend, I've got 11 as have most people I know with Trinity offers, do you have any idea why they might have got SS :confused:
Original post by whatsthestory
Yeah it's not impossible! C'mon, you can do this! :smile:
I'm getting the details of my offer (which is conditional btw) through the post late next week, so I don't know yet. But I'm not doing A-levels, I'm doing the OIB (mixture of French Bac + two A-level equivalents) and I live in France - and still no Clare letter saying I've been pooled! But anyway
As a matter of fact, I've never been to Selwyn... I'm thinking of popping round sometime before the summer, just to get a feel of how amazing it must be to be a Selwyn-ian and to give me extra motivation to do well in my Bac and get the grades!
Heehee. :biggrin:

Oh wow! That sounds v cool. I'm going to France next month! It should be fun...trying to speak French...:s-smilie: lol
Definitely give it a visit! There's a really pretty college garden and a Hogwarts-style dining hall :smile:
I'm sure you'll get the grades, you got into Cambridge! :biggrin: good luck!
Reply 565
My friend got an offer for Medicine at Cambridge ^^ I think he needed 3/4 A*s? Not sure but I'm very proud of him for doing it, especially since he's not naturally smart but works his arse off unbelievably to get so far :biggrin:
Hey fellow Selwyn-ians!

Original post by the_13th
Anyone for Land Economy or at Selwyn College?

Nope, haven't seen any Land Economy peeps about...I'm for medicine :smile:

Original post by Jamalsontop
I got a conditional offer for Engineering at Selwyn :biggrin: - seems like there's quite a few people going selwyn on TSR :P

Mmm..this college is looking to be quite the popular choice :tongue:

Congrats on getting your offers!! :smile:
Original post by jonnyboy1993
SS :eek: I feel sorry for your friend, I've got 11 as have most people I know with Trinity offers, do you have any idea why they might have got SS :confused:

I have no idea. He is an international student. I think he answered 2 questions perfectly in the written test, and answered 2 more during the interview, but I am not sure. Maybe the written test wasn't so well so they want to make sure his Maths is OK? How many questions did you answer in it? He already got S in STEP 1, and he is brilliant. I believe he can get SS in STEP 2 and 3
Original post by CountDuckula
Hey fellow Selwyn-ians!

Nope, haven't seen any Land Economy peeps about...I'm for medicine :smile:

Mmm..this college is looking to be quite the popular choice :tongue:

Congrats on getting your offers!! :smile:

Why hello :smile: I've got an offer for Vet Med. I'm so happy!!
Congrats on all of your offers to study at the best college :wink:
I have no idea. He is an international student. I think he answered 2 questions perfectly in the written test, and answered 2 more during the interview, but I am not sure. Maybe the written test wasn't so well so they want to make sure his Maths is OK? How many questions did you answer in it? He already got S in STEP 1, and he is brilliant. I believe he can get SS in STEP 2 and 3

Hmm Strange :s-smilie: I got 3 1/2 done in the interview with virtually no mistakes (though I added 5 numbers in my head and was 10 out, the DoS laughed...) I answered another 3 1/2 in the interview. So maybe they were giving him a chance to prove himself after a weak interview, and seeing as he got S in STEP I maybe they thought it would be manageable for him to get SS as like a second chance to prove himself, I don;t really know. Best of luck to him though, SS is no walk in the park...
Hmm Strange :s-smilie: I got 3 1/2 done in the interview with virtually no mistakes (though I added 5 numbers in my head and was 10 out, the DoS laughed...) I answered another 3 1/2 in the interview. So maybe they were giving him a chance to prove himself after a weak interview, and seeing as he got S in STEP I maybe they thought it would be manageable for him to get SS as like a second chance to prove himself, I don;t really know. Best of luck to him though, SS is no walk in the park...

I know how hard the STEP papers are. Although I applied for engineering, I did STEP I last June and got S, so planning to do STEP II this June for fun, but I don't think I will manage to get S this time.

I don't understand how they choose applicants in Trinity for Maths. Another guy in my college, he did better in the written test than the guy who got SS offer, and also got S in STEP 1 already but got pooled. Everybody in my college was shocked.
Reply 571

My offer is 11 in STEP II and III and some high grades in Maths and Physics (I'm international so the exact details aren't going to mean much for you).

Hi fellow mathmo :awesome: (I'm in love with this face). Well truthfully I feel that STEP is not much of a big deal once you get used to the kind of questions they ask. Anyway, for the sole fact that it's a condition to enter Cambridge it puts pressure on you.
Reply 572
Original post by Topaz_eyes
I don't know, I never had to send off exam certificates, sorry.

Thanks anyway, I guess I'll just leave it, it does say something about presenting documents upon coming into residence.
I know how hard the STEP papers are. Although I applied for engineering, I did STEP I last June and got S, so planning to do STEP II this June for fun, but I don't think I will manage to get S this time.

I don't understand how they choose applicants in Trinity for Maths. Another guy in my college, he did better in the written test than the guy who got SS offer, and also got S in STEP 1 already but got pooled. Everybody in my college was shocked.

How do you know so many people who got S :s-smilie: STEP for fun, what an odd concept (if only for the fact that it takes so much practice to get a decent grade)

I guess they have some odd methods, but they seem to work most of the time (though there will always be the odd mistake). I mean maybe doing really well in the test but being unable to do anything in an interview is seen as bad (this is in part how maths is taught). And whilst 2 people may get the same answer, the working or proof for a given question can vary considerably, though saying that, once they'd seen I had the correct answer they didn't actually check my working more than flicking through it :s-smilie:

My offer is 11 in STEP II and III and some high grades in Maths and Physics (I'm international so the exact details aren't going to mean much for you).

Hi fellow mathmo :awesome: (I'm in love with this face). Well truthfully I feel that STEP is not much of a big deal once you get used to the kind of questions they ask. Anyway, for the sole fact that it's a condition to enter Cambridge it puts pressure on you.

Yeah I remember doing some STEP II before my interview, I finished three questions fully in one hour long free, though I doubt they were perfect, or even that close to perfect... I agree though, I think it's just the fact that your whole offer comes down to STEP that makes it seem daunting, though STEP III isn't very nice anyway, but with practice I think we should be ok.
Original post by CountDuckula
Hey fellow Selwyn-ians!

Holla :biggrin:
How do you know so many people who got S :s-smilie: STEP for fun, what an odd concept (if only for the fact that it takes so much practice to get a decent grade)

I guess they have some odd methods, but they seem to work most of the time (though there will always be the odd mistake). I mean maybe doing really well in the test but being unable to do anything in an interview is seen as bad (this is in part how maths is taught). And whilst 2 people may get the same answer, the working or proof for a given question can vary considerably, though saying that, once they'd seen I had the correct answer they didn't actually check my working more than flicking through it :s-smilie:

In my college quite many people took STEP I in AS so that if they get good grades, they can impress the universities. The good students are encouraged to take things like STEP, AEA, Olympiads, in my college, my college also runs extra classes to prepare for them if they want. 4 got S (including me, the 2 boys applied for Maths in Trinity, and a boy who got an offer from Trinity for Nat Sci), 5 got 1s, 1 got 2, 6 got 3s.

You applied for Maths, you are going to spend 4 years studying it, don't you find it fun? It's hard but fun at the same time for me.
Original post by Synthesizer101

Hallo! What subject are you going to study there? :smile: Congrats on thee offer!
Original post by Synthesizer101

Well hey there Selwynites :biggrin: (or should I say Gryffindors xD)
D'ya think it's too soon for a facebook group? :P

Anyway, for the sole fact that it's a condition to enter Cambridge it puts pressure on you.
Indeed! I'm tackling the questions rather well (the pure ones at any rate), yet I'm horrified!
Reply 579

Wohoo! I knew about you jonnyboy1993 :biggrin: but now there are more people :awesome:

Congratulations both of you!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending