The Student Room Group

Chemistry vs. Physics A-Level

I'm picking my a-level options at the moment and I've basically decided what I want to do (maths & further, politics, economics and a science), but I'm having trouble choosing between chemistry and physics a-level. At GCSE level they're exactly the same to me - I perform equally in both, I find both similarly difficult and I don't enjoy one more than the other. I also have no plans on taking either at university level.

I was leaning towards physics a-level (with edexcel)because the past papers looked to be more suited to my skillset (I am very maths-based), however I have heard that chemistry (with OCR) is easier (though this may be to those who dislike maths, it seems like most people who have taken both's opinions, regardless of their maths performance). Neither particularly interested me.

Another important factor is the coursework; I heard from people who do take both that physics coursework is much more time-consuming than chemistry (I guess this depends on exam board although one of them had AQA for both and still had to spend much more time on physics). A time-consuming coursework assignment is definitely off-putting and may shift me towards chemistry, so I'd be particularly grateful if someone could clarify this.

Thanks for reading!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No ideas... :/
Reply 2
Chemistry.

it opens more doors imo.
Reply 3
In Physics, it is really easy if you can work things out. Plus doing maths and fmaths makes any of the calculations ridiculously simple.
Chemistry A2 is impossible (for me at least). Pages and pages of rote learning, things you simply have to know. It is the bane of my life.

I found Physics AS really interesting (got 100% as well), but A2 is pretty boring, but still easy.

Physics.
Reply 4
Original post by Kevin_gardens
No ideas... :/

Im doing A2 Chemistry with OCR. Did OCR for AS too. There wasn't any coursework.. just practicals and obviously the exams. AS module 1 is only one unit which is calculations (molar quantities/titrations/stoichiometry etc) the other 2 units are theory based so bonding etc.
Module 2 again only one unit which is full on calculations (energy).. rest is mainly theory.

At A2 module 1 is ALL theory just one unit which isnt maths.. its deducing structures from graphs but module 2 is mostly ALL calculations which im not looking forward too.
Physics is obviously ALWAYS more of the maths than theory so if its about maths then i advise physics but chemistrys much more interesting. But thats biased of course!
I'd say physics. Both are difficult, demanding courses, but I'd say physics fits in better with your subjects, also people I know who did both, the majority preferred and did better in physics.
xxx

I do both and I would vote for Physics. If your strong at Maths, which you are, then thats pretty much 30% of the course (Unit 1: Mechanics) under your belt. Theres little maths in chemistry so its a level playing field.
Also, Physics is awsome : )
I didn't do physics, but i do chemistry. I LOVE chemistry (i do OCR Salters). It's really interesting, if you have good memory and enjoy analysis/cognitive thinking, do chemistry. But if you're a really mathsy person, physics might be easier, as a lot of things cross over (mechanics and stuff).

In my opinion, do chemistry, as it shows you're good at more than just maths (you're already doing maths & further maths). ^_^
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)

[QUOTE=GottaLovePhysics! [excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];29276091]I do both and I would vote for Physics. If your strong at Maths, which you are, then thats pretty much 30% of the course (Unit 1: Mechanics) under your belt. Theres little maths in chemistry so its a level playing field.

It was obvious which one you were going to vote for. :rolleyes:
Reply 9
I do OCR Chem, my college runs Physics on OCR too. There's no coursework, the coursework "equivalent" sort of module are the practical assessments - as they're internally marked, like coursework. That's just doing a practical and sitting a small exam based on your results/you often get a proportion of the marks for recording your results and accuracy marks if they are in the correct range.

People in my Chemistry have struggled with the calculations aspect of it, but it's not really a huge part. It comes up a lot early on and in practicals but past that, a Maths background only really applies to the "logical thinking" aspect of Chemistry and the way in which you approach and work through questions.

Physics isn't all Maths, plenty of science concepts. I know early on in OCR you do Mechanics modules, which you will definitely cover during Maths at some point - if edexcel runs similarly, then having the background *might* help you during Maths but if you're capable enough (which i'm going to make an assumption you are by choices/5 subjects) then I can't see it having a big enough impact to say definitely this.

Chemistry would be a nicer contrast, personally, but i'm not the greatest Physics fan so meh. Colleges normally let you change after a couple of weeks if you can fit it in your timetable so if you decide you didn't like whichever you picked, you *may* be able to switch to the other instead. I really enjoy Chemistry, I hated it at GCSE and only picked it to pursue a Biology degree - which now i'm opting for straight Chemistry. I'd say, going by your subjects - Physics might just be a better fit.

Wall of text, i'm sorry :<
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Crazy Paving
It was obvious which one you were going to vote for. :rolleyes:

:biggrin: Ok, but the point still stands.
Reply 11
I find A level physics sooooooooo much harder than chemistry (I can do pretty well in it it's just that I find it more of a chore to do well in it). Although I suppose it depends on the person as to which they find hardest.

[QUOTE=GottaLovePhysics! [excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];29276177]:biggrin: Ok, but the point still stands.

I am just waiting for "GottaLoveChemistry! [NOPARSE]:smile:[/NOPARSE]" to come and say otherwise. :ahee:
Physics. If you're doing maths and further maths I assume you're comfortable with calculations, therefore you will find a lot of the maths based physics is suited to you.
Original post by Crazy Paving
I am just waiting for "GottaLoveChemistry! [NOPARSE]:smile:[/NOPARSE]" to come and say otherwise. :ahee:

Nah, then we would just join together and beat four shades of black and blue into GottaLoveBiology!

But in all seriousness I couldnt have picked a cooler name. :colonhash:
Nah, then we would just join together and beat four shades of black and blue into GottaLoveBiology!

But in all seriousness I couldnt have picked a cooler name. :colonhash:

I think GottaLoveMediaStudies should come in and headbutt you all. :ahee:
Original post by lovely_me
I think GottaLoveMediaStudies should come in and headbutt you all. :ahee:

You may laugh at my username, but it can drop a girls pants at twenty yards.
I do both and I would vote for Physics. If your strong at Maths, which you are, then thats pretty much 30% of the course (Unit 1: Mechanics) under your belt. Theres little maths in chemistry so its a level playing field.

You told me you wanted to do Chemistry at uni! Not Physics! :mad:
Reply 18
You will get so many different opinions it's unbelievable.

To be honest, you can only judge things for yourself because you have your own interests, likes and dislikes.

Do one thing: Look at the Syllabus and see if you find it interesting.

I do Physics A, Chemistry - Both AQA and Maths OCR

Dont do the subject because you 'need it' because some people don't do well in the subject and there ends up no point in taking the subject.
Reply 19
I'm picking my a-level options at the moment and I've basically decided what I want to do (maths & further, politics, economics and a science), but I'm having trouble choosing between chemistry and physics a-level. At GCSE level they're exactly the same to me - I perform equally in both, I find both similarly difficult and I don't enjoy one more than the other. I also have no plans on taking either at university level.

I was leaning towards physics a-level (with edexcel)because the past papers looked to be more suited to my skillset (I am very maths-based), however I have heard that chemistry (with OCR) is easier (though this may be to those who dislike maths, it seems like most people who have taken both's opinions, regardless of their maths performance). Neither particularly interested me.

Another important factor is the coursework; I heard from people who do take both that physics coursework is much more time-consuming than chemistry (I guess this depends on exam board although one of them had AQA for both and still had to spend much more time on physics). A time-consuming coursework assignment is definitely off-putting and may shift me towards chemistry, so I'd be particularly grateful if someone could clarify this.

Thanks for reading!

Im OCR for both and physics is MUCH harder and the CW is hugely more time consuming. I also get so lost in physics that I dont enjoy it anymore wheras I used to at GCSE. I mean thats not to say Im bad at it, I got As in both physics and chemistry at AS level. Ill just say that If I didnt need a triple A prediction for medicine, and if I hadnt gotten a B in maths I would have dropped physics.

Its a generally unpopular subject in my experience. Having said that some people like it :smile:. at the end of the day its about what you like. But if you dont plan on taking either further than A level then I would defs recomend chemistry, I just find it so much easier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending