Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ibysaiyan
oh you thank you very much! +rep from me

i thought u said you had c4 june 2010 ,Pim not doing c1
Original post by Maria1234
i thought u said you had c4 june 2010 ,Pim not doing c1

I have c3 if you want.I need c4 as too :frown:(
1 bii to find equation AD we know AD is perpendicular to AB hence we use the gradient AB to be the reference gradient. i.e say if gradient AB is -1/2,then gradient of AD will be 2.
For part c once you got the equation. Use substitution to get the co-ordinate.
Question 5: r = square root 61 or r^2 = 61.
I had difficulty with part 6 (i) too for the you need to consider all the sides:
so you get:3x(y) +4x(y)+5x(y)+3x (4x) = 144
sort them out and you should end up with the given equation.

One way of solving part 7 ii is by finding out the determinant.If determinant < 0 then we have no real roots.

1bii) where do i get the coordinates of AD from cos i am only given D .. do i use that?
i got 3x-2y+5=0 but when i use that for the next question i cannot get the coordinates using simultaneous equation.

Also can you explain how to do 7ai please as i got an answer of 2(x-10)^2 -47 but thats not correct i dont think..

Thank you v much for explaining the others :smile:
Okay, so I just did this paper and I can explain those two questions.

For part 1bii) you know that BAD is a right angle. Therefore the gradient of AD is 3/2 as m1*m2=-1 and m1 is -2/3. The line AD passes through both the points A and D so you can calculate the line equation with either of them. As we are given D it is easier to use that point.
You should get y-7=3/2(x-3),
which simplifies to give 2x-3y+15=0

It should then be easy to use for the next question as you can substitute x=5y-6 into this line equation...

For 7ai) the 2 in front of the brackets means that it's factorised. Therefore you divide what you would normally put in by 2 so by completing the square normally without 2x^2 we would put (x-10)^2 as you've done but becasue there is a coefficient of 2 we would put 2(x-5)^2. You got -47 as 10^2 =100. But as the correct answer is 2(x-5)^2 we would do 5^2 instead - but we also have to multiply that by the 2 in front of the brackets. THis gives 2(x-5)^2-50+53 so if simplifies to give 2(x-5)^2+3.

Hope that helped, just ask if you are stuck at all!!

Hey thank you for your help!

For 1bii) I understand that gradient of AD is 3/2 as it is perpenidcular to AB, Then I used the D coordinates and substitued and got y-7=3/2(x-3) ... but now im confused as to how it simplifies to be 2x-3y+15=0 ... I simplified it and got 3x-2y+5=0 :| Also how do i substitute x=5y-6 to get the coordinates of B? I thought i had to factorise or use simultaneous equations?

Thankyou for explaining 7ai) .. I understand that now :smile:
1c - You have to do simultaneous equations -

(BC) 5y - x = 6
(AB) 3y + 2x = 14

From that you can work out x and y.
(edited 13 years ago)

(BC) 5y - x = 6
(AB) 3y + 2x = 14

From that you can work out x and y.
(edited 13 years ago)

(BC) 5y - x = 6
(AB) 3y + 2x = 14

From that you can work out x and y

Thats what i thought you did but i couldnt get 3y + 2x =14 ... I got y-7=3/2(x-3) and thought it simplified to 3x-2y+5=0 :s:s How did you get that equation? :smile:

Oh wait you use the equation from 1a! I get it! But is the answer to 1bii) 3x-2y+5=0?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by qwerty54321
So sorry about the delay of copying this up.
Here is the mark scheme that i copied down from class:

1a) y=-2/3x +14/3
gradient is -2/3
b) y=-2/3x+9
ii) you'll know if you got this one right or not if you got to the right answer.. if you didn't quote me and i'll do it later :smile:

c) y=2, x=4 --> (4,2)

2a) 14-6root5
b)-11+5root5

3ai) likewise you'll know if yuo got this one right.. you must say x+3 is a factor

ii) long division correct --> (x+3)(x+5)(x-1)

b)p(2)=35
ci)p(-1) = -16
p(0) = -15
therefore p(-1) is less, meaning the lowest point on the graph is nearer to when y=-1, to y = 0

cii) draw correctly, going through -5, -3, and 1 on the x axis, and -15 at the bottom
IMPORTANT: because for part ci we found that the lowest point (the vertex) is around where y=-1, the lowest point on yourgraph CAN'T be where it crosses the y axis. the vertex must be slightly to the left of the y axis. quote me if you need help.

4a) 1/5x^5 - 4x^2 + 9x (+x)
42/5
4aii) y=9 integrate 9
9x
sub in 2
=18
18-42/5 = 48/5

b) dy/dx = 4x^3 -8
where x = 1
= -4
ii) where x=1, y=2
so equation is y=-4x+6

5a) (x+5)^2 + (y-6)^2 = 5^2
bi) 25=25
bii) gradient = -4/3
y=-4/3x-2/3
iii) m = -7/2,4
PM^2 =2^2 + (3/2)^2
pm = 5/2
PO = 2root2

sp p is closer to M

6ai)you'll know if you got this one right or not
ii)
v=6x^2y
rearrange 12=x^2 + y -> y=12/x -x
v = 6x^2(12/x-x)
v = 72x - 6x^3

bi) dv/dx = 72 - 18x^2.. when x=2 it equals 0
c) d^2v/dx^2 = -36x
sub in when x=2 = -72 <0 so a maximum

7) 2(x-5)^2 +3
no real roots - when try to solve can't squareroot a negative number

bi) you'll know if you got this right, ask me if you want me to go through it.
ii) (7k+1)(k-1) <0 (PLEASE NOTE THERE SHOULD BE A LESS THAN OR EQUALS SIGN, WHERE I HAVE JUST PUT A LESS THAN because i dont know how to do it otherwise!)
iii) -1/7 < k < 1

again, there should be a less than or equals sign, not just less than. !!

Hope this helped everyone, sorry again about the delay, and if you're stuck quote me and i'll try and help :smile:

what do you mean about 3cii? The y intercept is not -15? :s-smilie:
Original post by Shazui
what do you mean about 3cii? The y intercept is not -15? :s-smilie:

Yes it is?
Y intercept is where x = 0
so x^3 + 7x^2 + 7x -15

so, when x is 0, y=-15

?

Or have i made a really silly mistake? what do you think it is?
Yes it is?
so x^3 + 7x^2 + 7x -15

so, when x is 0, y=-15

?

He /sheprobably got confused because of what you stated below about the vertex. =]
Reply 50
Yes it is?
so x^3 + 7x^2 + 7x -15

so, when x is 0, y=-15

?

No, I'm pretty sure the -intercept is at -15 but I was asking what you meant by what you stated after. What would the graph look like?
Im supposing you get a mark each respectively for stating the 3 points at which it crosses the x-axis and the y intercept so I don't see what else there would be to draw?
Oh basically, you know how p(-1)<p(0)
that means, the y value when x=-1 is less than the y value when x=0
so you know the vertex has to be around when x=-1, therefore to the left of the yaxis. basically the vertex isn't dead on the yaxis. sorry i wasn't too clear and probably made a mistake typing up the answer to that part of the question :smile:
hmm....
Reply 53
does anyone know the link of where i can get the c1 aqa maths paper june 2010 online ? :smile:
Original post by shaheen :)
does anyone know the link of where i can get the c1 aqa maths paper june 2010 online ? :smile:

http://www.fileserve.com/file/ZUT6QEt
anyone get 6). a). ii).
Reply 56
My Maths teacher did a set of answers for this paper to help us revise. This is what she came up with, I don't quite understand how she's done it, but it may help..

6)a)ii) Volume = 6X^2 x Y
12-X^2/X
V = 6X^2(12-X^2)/X
V = 6X(12-X^2)
V = 72X - 6X^3
how do you work out the gradientin 1a
im only joking
does1 know where i can get the mark scheme for this paper
Reply 59
I am looking for core 4 aqa june 2010
anyone?
thanks