The Student Room Group

[UPDATE: Discussion] AS OCR Critical Thinking Unit 1 January 10 2011

So how much (if any) revision have you done for AS OCR Critical Thinking Unit 1 on January 13? I've just been reading through the class handouts and plan to do a few worksheets from my school's VLE, then a few past papers throughout next week (although there are only like 4 of the new spec?).

What have you done so far? What are you planning to do?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,
I am going to be taking my Unit 1 Critical Thinking exam in January for the 1st time and I am wondering how should revise for this subject. I have gone through the book and looked at the key terms. However, when doing the paper I have not been getting good marks. Can someone please tell me what I should and how I could possibly aim for the highest marks. Very much appreciated :biggrin:. Wishing you all an early happy new year:biggrin:
you need to get hold of the mark scheme for the papers that you have done,this will give you an idea of where you can lose or gain points. You could also try and find the exam report for the exam you did . I would also suggest buying or borrowing the ocr critical thinking book , it has exam questions at the back ( i cant remember the title) this was a great help to my daughter. I got the book at waterstones. I hope this helps you, good luck next week.
Reply 3
I've been doing the past papers from OCR. On all of them, I can hardly ever get any marks on the final question (usually number 9) on the unit 1 paper (F501).

It's usually worth around 13-14 marks, and says something along the lines of:
Referring to the material within the documents come to a judgement as to whether [...] will
[...] or [...]. You should make a reasoned case with a judgement based on:
the relative credibility of both sides. OR an assessment of the quality of evidence on both sides
the relative plausibility (likelihood) of both outcomes

It is especially difficult because they change the question slightly each time. Sometimes the first point is about credibility, sometimes it's about quality of evidence. In the latter case, credibility is only to be mentioned in the plausibility arguments - though in the former case, credibility is not to be mentioned in the plausibility arguments.

Any help please? The main problem I have with it is creating "strong"* arguments. But a lot of the time I just do the completely wrong thing.

* = Mark scheme:
‘Strong’ means a developed point with justification.
‘Weak’ means an assertion without justification.
Reply 4
Original post by U4EA
So how much (if any) revision have you done for AS OCR Critical Thinking Unit 1 on January 13?

I swear it's on the 10th?
Oh dear... :confused:
Reply 5
^^
yeh it is :smile:
Reply 6
Exam is tomorrow and I'm still having great trouble with the 13-16 mark question at the end. Please, is there anybody who can offer advice?
Reply 7
Original post by mkw
Exam is tomorrow and I'm still having great trouble with the 13-16 mark question at the end. Please, is there anybody who can offer advice?

This is what our teacher gave us to answer the last question:

How to write answer to question 9:

First part: The relative credibility of both sides

1) Identify the individuals/groups on one side.
2) For each individual/group on this side attach relevant quotes which demonstrate their arguments and a credibility criteria (CRAVEN). Explain why.
3) Identify the individuals/groups on the opposing side.
4) For each individual/group on this side attach relevant quotes which demonstrate their arguments and a credibility criteria (CRAVEN). Explain why.
5) Then provide a conclusion saying which side is more credible and include what the strongest side are claiming/promoting.

Second part: The relative plausibility (likelihood) of both outcomes

In the documents both sides will make claims about what may/will happen. You have to explain which side's claims are more likely and why.

1) Explain why one side's claims are unlikely.
2) Use quotes which sum up these unlikely claims.
3) Explain why the other side's claims are more likely.
4) Use quotes which sum up these more likely claims.
5) Give a conclusion.

Hope that helps!
Reply 8
Original post by U4EA
This is what our teacher gave us to answer the last question:

How to write answer to question 9:

First part: The relative credibility of both sides

1) Identify the individuals/groups on one side.
2) For each individual/group on this side attach relevant quotes which demonstrate their arguments and a credibility criteria (CRAVEN). Explain why.
3) Identify the individuals/groups on the opposing side.
4) For each individual/group on this side attach relevant quotes which demonstrate their arguments and a credibility criteria (CRAVEN). Explain why.
5) Then provide a conclusion saying which side is more credible and include what the strongest side are claiming/promoting.

Second part: The relative plausibility (likelihood) of both outcomes

In the documents both sides will make claims about what may/will happen. You have to explain which side's claims are more likely and why.

1) Explain why one side's claims are unlikely.
2) Use quotes which sum up these unlikely claims.
3) Explain why the other side's claims are more likely.
4) Use quotes which sum up these more likely claims.
5) Give a conclusion.

Hope that helps!

Thank you, that's very helpful but I have a question:
One time (June 2009), instead of using "The relative plausibility" and "The relative credibility", they used "The relative plausibility", and "Quality of evidence". On the mark scheme was this note:
Where candidates assess credibility this can only be used to assess plausibility. Evidence needs to be assessed via such criteria as relevance, significance, representativeness.

The example answers did not even include anything about credibility (or at least CRAVEN) despite the question being in Section B of F501. Do you know if this version of the question is likely to come up again?

EDIT: Also, the mark scheme examples usually assess both all individuals/groups on both sides under one credibility criteria (e.g. assess everything using expertise), do your teacher's notes suggest using more than one or have I misinterpreted it?

mark scheme example example:

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by finestory
I swear it's on the 10th?
Oh dear... :confused:

AQA is tomorrow, this thread is for the OCR exam.
Reply 10
Original post by mfc1993DP
AQA is tomorrow, this thread is for the OCR exam.

I'm doing OCR, and mine's tomorrow.
Reply 11
Any tips?!
Reply 12
OCR is definitely tomorrow too.
+ I haven't done any work for it, maths is much more important :L
Reply 13
Original post by juliewho
OCR is definitely tomorrow too.
+ I haven't done any work for it, maths is much more important :L

Join the club! We were forced to do this stupid subject. Cant risk biology and chemistry for this!!
Reply 14
Original post by mkw
I'm doing OCR, and mine's tomorrow.

oh, i take back what i said lol. I'm doing AQA tomorrow and pressumed that the OP wouldn't have posted this thread before checking the date.
Reply 15
Original post by Rosi M
Join the club! We were forced to do this stupid subject. Cant risk biology and chemistry for this!!

Agh same, as like an additional thing yeah? I have maths Monday morning then Bio and Chem too :/ Critical thinking is literally getting a dinnertime worth of work..
Reply 16
Original post by juliewho
Agh same, as like an additional thing yeah? I have maths Monday morning then Bio and Chem too :/ Critical thinking is literally getting a dinnertime worth of work..

Wow all 3 in one day! Im in A2 so we had to do it if we drop an AS!! Im doing a biology resit on tuesday. Have critical tomorrow but my teacher can do one! Yep same here, its getting an hour in the morning only because then im going for a biology revision lesson!!
Reply 17
I'm going to wing it.
Reply 18
My bad, they made a typo on my exam timetable. It is tomorrow, good luck everyone.
Reply 19
Original post by mkw
Thank you, that's very helpful but I have a question:
One time (June 2009), instead of using "The relative plausibility" and "The relative credibility", they used "The relative plausibility", and "Quality of evidence". On the mark scheme was this note:

The example answers did not even include anything about credibility (or at least CRAVEN) despite the question being in Section B of F501. Do you know if this version of the question is likely to come up again?

EDIT: Also, the mark scheme examples usually assess both all individuals/groups on both sides under one credibility criteria (e.g. assess everything using expertise), do your teacher's notes suggest using more than one or have I misinterpreted it?

mark scheme example example:

Spoiler

I have absolutely no idea my friend, the notes I typed out was all we were given for the last question. You sound more prepared than all of us though!

Quick Reply

Latest