The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by l4ith
Wohoo! I knew about you jonnyboy1993 :biggrin: but now there are more people :awesome:

Congratulations both of you!!!

I have found 11 Trinity offers on TSR (including you and me) :biggrin:
Original post by kpatb

Yaaay! Do you have any idea what options you will be choosing? :biggrin:

I play the piano, sing lots and play the flute quite well, I dabble at the guitar, and compose quite a bit :smile: Do you play any instruments?

Ugh I know how you feel about the exams - I have my FP2, Chemistry Unit 5, FP3, and final Music exams in 2 days. Consecutively -__-

Oh wow, thank gosh I'm not the only one having mood swings. I only need two A's now, and I'm terrified that I won't meet the offer, and sometimes I look at others who have got in and think "Oh my god, I'm going to university with those people? :O"
Phew, so it's not only me! But right now, I think we have the right to live in the moment and enjoy it while we're here :smile: We've got an offer from THE top university in the world - enjoy this moment :biggrin: (or At least that's what I'm telling myself to make myself feel less guilty about not revising for any of my exams atm. Woops)

Nope, I'm not sure on the options yet. You can take a 'minor' type module in a biological thing, so I think I'll take that in my first year, as well as physics and all the maths I can get. You?

Wow you're musical. You don't want to hear my singing normally. For some reason, I can sing only Christmas carols :tongue:
Why didn't you study that then?

Procrastination is the best, but I know I'll probably cry when I get my results. Besides, I'm distracted by hoping that it isn't a mistake :eek: - revision wouldn't be effective :wink:
Everyone will think I'm mad when I get back to school and just randomly start grining. :cool:

I know, when I look around I see all these people with 10 A*s at GCSE and 90% UMS or more, and wonder whether the tutors were high when they saw me or sent the letter.

Why are you doing unit 5 in chemistry now? What exam board are you? ^^ I can only do FP2 in June (I'm failing M3 now though. self-taught, so there's only me to blame. :colondollar: ) Do you already have an A*?
Original post by Hermione17
In my college quite many people took STEP I in AS so that if they get good grades, they can impress the universities. The good students are encouraged to take things like STEP, AEA, Olympiads, in my college, my college also runs extra classes to prepare for them if they want. 4 got S (including me, the 2 boys applied for Maths in Trinity, and a boy who got an offer from Trinity for Nat Sci), 5 got 1s, 1 got 2, 6 got 3s.

You applied for Maths, you are going to spend 4 years studying it, don't you find it fun? It's hard but fun at the same time for me.

I wish my school let us do something like that, I would have liked to have some STEP experience before it actually really matters. All we do is the UKMT stuff, and we normally only get a day's warning... We don't get any extra help, but this year we asked for, and now have a STEP club for II and III, so we should be ok.

I do find STEP, BMO etc fun. But when there's the added pressure of it deciding if I go to Cambridge it ruins it a bit, it becomes this thing you have to perform in, rather than a no pressure exam where you get to do interesting maths just for fun, which reduces the enjoyment (not to say it's not fun, it's just a bit stressful at times too...)

Original post by l4ith
Wohoo! I knew about you jonnyboy1993 :biggrin: but now there are more people :awesome:

Thanks :biggrin: Well done to you too!! There's so many people here who got into Trinity, my school got another mathmo and a medic into Trinity, we'll have our own little group next year :tongue:
Reply 583
I have found 11 Trinity offers on TSR (including you and me) :biggrin:

Original post by jonnyboy1993

Thanks :biggrin: Well done to you too!! There's so many people here who got into Trinity, my school got another mathmo and a medic into Trinity, we'll have our own little group next year :tongue:

Wow this is awesome :biggrin: I'm the only one from my school to get to Trinity, so It's nice being aware of some people already :awesome:
I wish my school let us do something like that, I would have liked to have some STEP experience before it actually really matters. All we do is the UKMT stuff, and we normally only get a day's warning... We don't get any extra help, but this year we asked for, and now have a STEP club for II and III, so we should be ok.

I do find STEP, BMO etc fun. But when there's the added pressure of it deciding if I go to Cambridge it ruins it a bit, it becomes this thing you have to perform in, rather than a no pressure exam where you get to do interesting maths just for fun, which reduces the enjoyment (not to say it's not fun, it's just a bit stressful at times too...)

I guess it's because my college is a private one. The teachers try their very best to prepare for students.

For me STEP is a no pressure exam :biggrin:
Reply 585
Original post by Melanie-v
Nope, I'm not sure on the options yet. You can take a 'minor' type module in a biological thing, so I think I'll take that in my first year, as well as physics and all the maths I can get. You?

Wow you're musical. You don't want to hear my singing normally. For some reason, I can sing only Christmas carols :tongue:
Why didn't you study that then?

Procrastination is the best, but I know I'll probably cry when I get my results. Besides, I'm distracted by hoping that it isn't a mistake :eek: - revision wouldn't be effective :wink:
Everyone will think I'm mad when I get back to school and just randomly start grining. :cool:

I know, when I look around I see all these people with 10 A*s at GCSE and 90% UMS or more, and wonder whether the tutors were high when they saw me or sent the letter.

Why are you doing unit 5 in chemistry now? What exam board are you? ^^ I can only do FP2 in June (I'm failing M3 now though. self-taught, so there's only me to blame. :colondollar: ) Do you already have an A*?

When I said FP2, Chem 5 etc.. I meant in June - all my important exams are clumped together in June. For January, I'm okay for the time being :smile:
And ALL my exams are edexcel.
Ooo! I'm doing M3 in my spare time, but luckily one of the teachers at school has been kind enough to offer to stay after school once a week to guide us through M3 :smile: It's such an interesting module - ridiculously difficult though!

Well I think I'm going to opt for Material Science, Physics, Chemistry and Maths A/B. I would like to do the Maths B option (much like you, I'd like to do all the maths I can get), but I doubt they would allow me to, unless I do amazingly well in further maths. But then again, I really want to research the options before I choose - there's such a wide range of choices!

Why didn't I study music? For two reasons: I'm not a good enough musician, and also, I don't think I could do music 24 hours a day. And my singing tends to cause glass to shatter, so don't worry, you can't be as bad as me :biggrin:

You have every reason to grin! You should be grinning all the time :biggrin:
Original post by l4ith
Wow this is awesome :biggrin: I'm the only one from my school to get to Trinity, so It's nice being aware of some people already :awesome:

Our school's only had 3 Trinity offers in the last 10 years, so our year is a bit of an anomaly, but it's nice having someone else doing my subject to work with etc. It'll be weird finally seeing everyone in person in October...

I guess it's because my college is a private one. The teachers try their very best to prepare for students.

For me STEP is a no pressure exam :biggrin:

Ours is a grammar school, it's just our teacher's don't normally have the time to do extra lessons and stuff. But with Cambridge offers they are willing to help us.

Yeah, I wish it was like that, I was planning on doing it anyway (maybe not III) but It'll be fun (though not on the day when I have another 3 hrs 45 of normal A level exams...)
Original post by CountDuckula
Hallo! What subject are you going to study there? :smile: Congrats on thee offer!

Haha thank you very much kind sir!! The same to you too :smile: I'm going to study MML German with ab initio Russian ^_^ how about yourself?

Original post by Terpsichore
Well hey there Selwynites :biggrin: (or should I say Gryffindors xD)
D'ya think it's too soon for a facebook group? :P

OMG this neeeeds to be done!! Haha Selwynites :biggrin: sounds like some kind of volcanic rock, Don't think i understand the Gryffindors thing though :/

Is this the college where both of you applied or were you guys pooled?
Reply 588
Original post by l4ith

Our school's only had 3 Trinity offers in the last 10 years, so our year is a bit of an anomaly, but it's nice having someone else doing my subject to work with etc. It'll be weird finally seeing everyone in person in October...

Thank you, congratulations to you too, l4ith! :smile:

It must be cool to have another Trinity offer holder in the same subject in the same school.
Reply 589
Original post by rob...
There are quite a few of us; it certainly is a great college :biggrin: Cannot wait!!! Though I would happily prolong STEP exams, given the choice :smile:

Caius is gash, especially their rowing team man, so weak, nothing compared to those purple gods they call King's...
Reply 590
Original post by Synthesizer101

OMG this neeeeds to be done!! Haha Selwynites :biggrin: sounds like some kind of volcanic rock, Don't think i understand the Gryffindors thing though :/

Is this the college where both of you applied or were you guys pooled?

I lol'd. Unless your own post is ironic (in which case my explanation would become ridiculous) I'm pretty sure they're referring to Harry Potter's house, probably because Cambridge's atmosphere reminds of Hogwarts :biggrin: on which I agree.
Reply 591
Original post by lfvr
Yay offer!
Anyone for Classics (4 year) or King's?

King's is such an awesome college, dude, you're in for the time of your life. Definitely give rowing a try - nothing looks fitter than purple lycra :cool:
Original post by l4ith

My school has a tradition of getting Trinity offers. This year 3 offers, last year 2, the year before 4, I don't know about the other years. All managed to meet their offers :biggrin:

Ours is a grammar school, it's just our teacher's don't normally have the time to do extra lessons and stuff. But with Cambridge offers they are willing to help us.

Yeah, I wish it was like that, I was planning on doing it anyway (maybe not III) but It'll be fun (though not on the day when I have another 3 hrs 45 of normal A level exams...)

Our teachers are very enthusiastic. Some are even willing to sacrifice some of their lunch times to help students.

I noticed that in the week starting with 20th June, there are lots of A-level exams and STEP. I will have 6 exams during that week (including the STEP II which I am planning to take), 3 of them are on the same day.
Reply 593
I noticed that in the week starting with 20th June, there are lots of A-level exams and STEP. I will have 6 exams during that week (including the STEP II which I am planning to take), 3 of them are on the same day.

I have 18 hours of exams from the 20th to the 27th (21 hours if I can sit STEP I alongside II and III). :frown: How fun.
Original post by Zuzuzu
I have 18 hours of exams from the 20th to the 27th (21 hours if I can sit STEP I alongside II and III). :frown: How fun.

18hours! :console:

You will be fine :wink:
Original post by Proximus
I lol'd. Unless your own post is ironic (in which case my explanation would become ridiculous) I'm pretty sure they're referring to Harry Potter's house, probably because Cambridge's atmosphere reminds of Hogwarts :biggrin: on which I agree.

Haha tbh my post wasn't ironic in the slightest and your ridiculous explanation does seem to make a lot more sense lol. It's times like this I wonder why the hell I have an offer...I can't even make sense of Harry Potter references haha
Reply 596
I got an offer from Trinity for Engineering :biggrin:

Hope to see you this October!

Heyyy well done :smile: see you in October :biggrin:
Original post by tessfoley
Heyyy well done :smile: see you in October :biggrin:

Thanks! Well done to you too! You got an offer for medicine, right?
Reply 598
Name: ME!
Subject: Engineering
College: Lucy Cavendish
Offer: Distinction: Certificate of Higher Education
How you found out: Post

Yippie!! Any other engineering offer holders out there?
Original post by London_A
Name: ME!
Subject: Engineering
College: Lucy Cavendish
Offer: Distinction: Certificate of Higher Education
How you found out: Post

Yippie!! Any other engineering offer holders out there?

Congrats! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending