The Student Room Group

Economics Applicants 2011 Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by UseYourEyes
I would be really interested to hear from anyone who is applying for Bristol's Economics and Finance undergraduate course. Please feel free to PM or inbox me! :smile: Thanks

I got rejected a few weeks back :frown:
Reply 301
hey guys, I haven't applied yet... lol!
I'm international student btw.
I'm going to apply
UCL
Nottingham
Durham
York
Exeter/Bristol/ I dont know...

UCL is hard but worth taking a shot. (a bit above my level)
Durham is fair. (My level)
Nottingham and York are very likely to get in (below... wait, I feel ignorant to say below my level so I won't say it. I just know that I am very likely to get in)

For my undecided choice, I want to choose an uni that is a bit reach.
Any suggestion of an uni thats a bit above my level like UCL? It cant be Warwick,LSE,Oxbridge,Bath though...
Original post by zanahoria
I'm going to apply
UCL
Nottingham
Durham
York

Nottingham and York are very likely to get in (below... wait, I feel ignorant to say below my level so I won't say it. I just know that I am very likely to get in)

Any suggestion of an uni thats a bit above my level like UCL? It cant be Warwick,LSE,Oxbridge,Bath though...

Well the only ones around UCL's level are the ones you mentioned - Warwick, LSE.
I guess Bristol is a good choice but not in the same league as UCL in my opinion. There are none others really pertaining to your "reach" requirements.
Reply 303
I'm going to apply
UCL
Nottingham
Durham
York

I wouldn't be so sure about getting into Notts :teeth:
Reply 304
Original post by rohitronaldo
Well the only ones around UCL's level are the ones you mentioned - Warwick, LSE.
I guess Bristol is a good choice but not in the same league as UCL in my opinion. There are none others really pertaining to your "reach" requirements.

I agree that UCL's level is around Warkwick and LSE. What are the universities just below then?
Reply 305
Original post by wag1bgirl
hey guys, just wanted to let everyone know my position:

Oxford: Interview
UCL: Offer
LSE: Offer
Bristol: Offer
Birmingham: Still Waiting

SOOoooooo happy :biggrin:D

Do you mean you were rejected after interview for Oxford? Also, what are your GCSE/A level subjects/grades/UMS? I have an offer form UCL and am still waiting on LSE. Finally, when did your offer for LSE come through track ie date/day?

Cheers for the help and Congratulations!!!
I agree that UCL's level is around Warkwick and LSE. What are the universities just below then?

Bristol, Durham, Nottingham, Bath, York etc. Go check out TAELT 2010.
Original post by Firaila
I wouldn't be so sure about getting into Notts :teeth:

Oh I'm unsure but someone told me that Nottingham had different(lower) requirements for international students, must check this out.
I've applied to Leeds for their BSC econ programme because I liked their modules.However, I don't see a lot of Leeds applicants here. :s-smilie:
It's my fifth choice but feeling a little insecure now.
Is it a good program?
Original post by mintmocha
Oh I'm unsure but someone told me that Nottingham had different(lower) requirements for international students, must check this out.

That's correct. ABB I believe for international applicants.
I've applied to Leeds for their BSC econ programme because I liked their modules.However, I don't see a lot of Leeds applicants here. :s-smilie:
Is it a good program?

Ive applied to Leeds, its a good programme and well respected and also a really good city. Have you received an offer from them yet because my application is on hold?

Where else have you applied?
Original post by joebarron
Ive applied to Leeds, its a good programme and well respected and also a really good city. Have you received an offer from them yet because my application is on hold?

Where else have you applied?

I JUST received an offer from them.
Conditional-AA. Ah, I'm so happy. (:
I've applied to Durham, Bath, UCL and Southampton. What about you?
I JUST received an offer from them.
Conditional-AA. Ah, I'm so happy. (:
I've applied to Durham, Bath, UCL and Southampton. What about you?

Congratulations, whats your first choice?
Reply 313
Just wondering whats better for economics

Royal holloway, reading or City?
Reply 314
City, but I love Reading's campus :sexface:
Reply 315
Original post by DDS
Just wondering whats better for economics

Royal holloway, reading or City?

Royal Holloway. Based on the departments I've seen.
To be honest I haven't seen Reading but I have heard a few bad things.
Reply 316
Is it a good program?

Very good.
Reply 317
Original post by rohitronaldo
Bristol, Durham, Nottingham, Bath, York etc. Go check out TAELT 2010.

LSE is certainly above Warwick and UCL, just to be clear?
Reply 318
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Need help!

Royal Holloway- Economics BSC- ABB
Southampton- Economics and Politics BSC- AAB

Want to go into banking/finance after university, what is the best choice?

If it's RH, would it still be RH if my Soton course changed to straight Econ?

Tricky one.
I would go with Southampton if you did straight econ, however.
Even then it would not give you that much difference, go to which one you feel happiest at.
Both have good departments.
Reply 319
Original post by Kenan and Kel
I see. Are you also saying that I should choose RH if I can't do straight econ at Southampton.

Also, how should I go about finding out if I can change to straight econ there, phone their departments?

No I am not saying that.
The main factor should be whdre do you feel happiest, if that happens to be Southampton you should then perhaps think about changing to straight econ, even if you did however you would be providing yourself with a small advantage.

I am trying to say that with both options you can do what you want to do, therefore you should choose as to what uni or course you want to do based on other factors. As all the options you choose will provide you with a good degree from a good uni and will give you good job opportunities.

Quick Reply