The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1220
Original post by DM17
Sorry if this has already been asked but has anyone who had an interview with York heard anything? I can't remember when they said we should expect a reply.

I'm pretty sure they say "8 weeks" but I found out within 2.

Just firmed Oxford Unconditionally.

Feels... feels pretty great.
University of Surrey
course: Law M100
offer: unsure, they haven't told me yet. They said the offer will come on ucas shortly. Does anybody know how long it will take ?
received: 10th january 2011
ucas sent: 6th December
:smile: :smile:
Original post by Valindrius
I think that's a rather scathing and unfair reduction, I'm not implying that it's a conspiracy. I was just quite shocked that such an unsubstantiated, backwards mindset existed there given supposed goals of diversification and inclusion. The attitudes displayed by their Law admissions staff (via comments included in the research) belong at an upper-class stereotype of Oxbridge, not somewhere in an impoverished area that can do a great deal of social good or harm via its policies.

I fail to see how 'it isn't about that,' I resent those in publically important positions that make decisions without consistent, measureable evidence to justify their decisions hence I sent them a message.

I haven’t changed my mind since receiving the offer because I’m yet to receive a reply from them after many months, and their policy remains the same. I applied to account for the fact that they might be willing to discuss the matter thereby changing my mind via data or might change their policy, but instead they’ve remained aloof. If they don’t change their mind, then they have wasted energy and time on my application which amounts to a kind of efficiency based ‘punishment.’

How is that inconsistent with the principle espoused? The fact that they accepted me is an irrelevancy, the procedure is still unjust whether I benefitted from it or not. I see that as consistent. The important point is that they shouldn't say 'we prefer it if you don't have X,' unless they are justified in that. There should be no need for me or others to compensate via higher UMS in others subjects that they deem ‘traditional’ unless they have data to warrant it.

No, eliminating several A Levels from consideration because you think something is ‘possible’ is arrogant and callous.

It instantly disadvantages people in reality, and why? Because somebody considered it a hypothetical possibility? Requesting evidence for something that affects the material isn’t arrogant, it’s logical to question it. It is arrogant to lambast those that request justification or to imply/state that it isn’t necessary to explain (their silence implies it).

There’s a difference between deduction and agreement, I deduced it but didn’t accept their view since it’s ostensibly ridiculous. Why would I stop because I knew why they'd formed their view? If anything, it makes it worse.

Your analogy is also invalid as I am not in a publically funded office with power over the future of others when I make my decisions, am I? If I make a decision over a ‘bad experience’ then that directly affects me, not others. (As an aside, I do use empirical data wherever possible to form opinions. I’m a lover of the scientific method and, to a large degree, a Cartesian-esque sceptic)

Conversely, their decisions are guaranteed to affect many others so there’s greater diligence needed. As a result, there’s a large difference between the decisions of autonomous individuals and institutions funded via the public. An institution funded by the public is duty bound to make decisions based upon reliable, verifiable evidence so that the paths chosen or the impact those ‘paths’ have on society are as justifiable as possible by facts.

By relying on the impressions of tutors you allow confirmation bias, academic superstition, logical fallacies (Post hoc ergo propter hoc), and innumerable other detestable emotive human flaws to dictate policy. That is unacceptable in an admissions system. The university is publically funded to a large degree and tuition fee loans are derived from the government for UK students, thus a defence of ‘our university, our rules’ is laughable. Whilst they do work there, they are there by the grace of public funding therefore must justify themselves and can legitimately be held to account. Why do you think they’re covered by the Freedom of Information Act?

As a result, I don’t think their view is consistent with the long tradition of excellent scientific pursuits at the University of Manchester. I don’t care what an admissions tutor thinks based upon anecdotes, I care what an admissions tutor thinks based upon cold data.

Oh well, your writing prowess is far above the norm!

If you don't get the grades for Cambridge, then call me Harry...and other things.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Woah, how'd you get an AAA offer?

what do ya mean?
Original post by jenniifer
what do ya mean?

Cambridge is A*AA...unless you do scottish highers?
Reply 1225
Original post by dao17
i'm going to the leicester open day, 9th march i think it is?
what are you thinking of firming?

Not sure yet, still waiting on Warwick in particular.
What about you?
Original post by adam0311
Cambridge is A*AA...unless you do scottish highers?

yeah advanced highers :smile:
Original post by jenniifer
what do ya mean?

adam0311 got it in a nutshell. I shoukd have looked at your location, though. :o:
Original post by Doughnuts!!
adam0311 got it in a nutshell. I shoukd have looked at your location, though. :o:

maybe see you around the law faculty next year? :biggrin:
Reply 1229
Just got an unconditional offer to Edinburgh under a week ago, chuffed! Anyone else planning on going to Edinburgh? I'm not sure whether or not to go to Edinburgh, Aberdeen or Glasgow. Tough pick.
Original post by Mann18

Gap year takers don't count :tongue:

Congratulations on your Oxford offer! So happy for you! :biggrin:
Original post by Valindrius
x

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the fact that they've given you an offer despite you taking A level Law not imply that it isn't actually completely blacklisted? More that they've stated that it's not one they prefer, for reasons known only to themselves, but that they're willing to look past?

And aren't their reasons for introducing access schemes irrelevant as long as those schemes are introduced?
Reply 1232
Original post by Adelaide123
Thank you!
I applied to Exeter main campus, Exeter Cornwall campus and Sheffield and have unconditionals for those three but ideally would like to have Warwick and/or LSE :colondollar:
Where else have you applied?

Also, has anyone else done all science A Levels? I was slightly concerned about my subject choices but so far it doesn't appear to have been a big issue.

I have done one science. At my oxbridge interview half of the subject specific intrview was based on science.
Original post by cutegirl15
University of Surrey
course: Law M100
offer: unsure, they haven't told me yet. They said the offer will come on ucas shortly. Does anybody know how long it will take ?
received: 10th january 2011
ucas sent: 6th December
:smile: :smile:

Congratulations :smile: is that your second offer? Who else are you waiting for?

I dunno how long they'll take, hopefully you'll find out the conditions soon :smile:
Original post by Mann18

Imagine how awesome it would feel to firm the best uni in the country :pierre:

Spoiler

Reply 1235
Original post by willtang3000
Gap year takers don't count :tongue:

Congratulations on your Oxford offer! So happy for you! :biggrin:

Well others who were there in the first interview also found out in two weeks, I'm just saying :p:
And thank you.

Original post by TimmonaPortella
Imagine how awesome it would feel to firm the best uni in the country :pierre:

Spoiler

:rofl:

And I'm working at the moment, doing a crappy minimum wage office job, that I took specifically because I have to read complaints all day and find the main problem. I had the idea that it would help with the ol' Law degree. I doubt it will.

But come Septemeber, I might do some light travelling if I have the moolah.
No skiing on Mount Blanc for me I'm afraid.
I've got offers from all of my choices :smile: yay!
Reply 1237
Got offers from UCL, KCL and Warwick
Got pooled by Cambridge (Jesus)... and no more news yet :\
Still waiting on LSE...
Original post by garyling
Got offers from UCL, KCL and Warwick
Got pooled by Cambridge (Jesus)... and no more news yet :\
Still waiting on LSE...

Eep. When did you get your Warwick offer?

Well done on all of them by the way :tongue:
Reply 1239
Original post by Potiron
Eep. When did you get your Warwick offer?

Well done on all of them by the way :tongue:

Cheers.
I got it in early November, roughly a month after my UCAS form was sent.
You applying to Warwick as well? Good luck with your application :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending