The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chrosson
Seen tron.
Had fun drawing parallels between encom and apple :mmm:

seems more like microsoft to me.
Original post by rugbyladosc
seems more like microsoft to me.

The most striking thing for me was the conference where the founder of encom stood op in front of screaming fans. This seems closer to apple conferences than microsoft to me.

Also, microsoft offer significant discounts for students via dreamspark (free), software4students (massive discounts) and msdnaa (free). Unlike apple (up to 15%) (I would love to find out that apple do actually offer their software cheaper, as I can understand that hardware is difficult to reduce).

What about you? What similarities did you notice?
The most striking thing for me was the conference where the founder of encom stood op in front of screaming fans. This seems closer to apple conferences than microsoft to me.

Also, microsoft offer significant discounts for students via dreamspark (free), software4students (massive discounts) and msdnaa (free). Unlike apple (up to 15%) (I would love to find out that apple do actually offer their software cheaper, as I can understand that hardware is difficult to reduce).

What about you? What similarities did you notice?

the bit where he said this time we put a 12 on the box or something seemed quite like microsoft bringing out new operating systems we all have to buy whereas apple brings out products that are normally completely unique to the predecessor despite the massive price tag.

but meh you're probably right
Original post by rugbyladosc
the bit where he said this time we put a 12 on the box or something seemed quite like microsoft bringing out new operating systems we all have to buy whereas apple brings out products that are normally completely unique to the predecessor despite the massive price tag.

but meh you're probably right

I definitely agree with this with respect to the office 97 -> 2000 -> 2002 (XP) -> 2003 progression. In fact I can imagine the office team doing that between those 4 - "Herp derp lets change the interface a bit!"
Microsoft OS upgrades always seem to have major, if unappreciated changes (I hear ME and vista weren't popular :teehee:).
Honestly can't speak about apple upgrades.
I definitely agree with this with respect to the office 97 -> 2000 -> 2002 (XP) -> 2003 progression. In fact I can imagine the office team doing that between those 4 - "Herp derp lets change the interface a bit!"
Microsoft OS upgrades always seem to have major, if unappreciated changes (I hear ME and vista weren't popular :teehee:).
Honestly can't speak about apple upgrades.

the system upgrades aren't to pricey and have lots of new applications on them.

and if you look at hardware u can really see how far they have come from massive grey dull box computers in 2000 to sleek designs with everything in the screen. I prefer windows though but apple < microsoft
:rofl: Guys, seriously, Google Image search 'socially awkward penguin'

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

:rofl:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by secretmessages

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

these are brilliant.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I see myself in a couple :ninja:
Reply 8568

Is that you Tux? Wow, a penguin goes to Uni!!! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

:teehee:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Mad Vlad

Spoiler

Brilliant, and very accurate. :teehee:

Ditto. :ninja:
Javascript semicolon insertion is irritating for beginners (i.e. me) :angry:
No explicit way to override it seems incredibly foolish.
I don't know if I'm just the last to find out or if it's new but if you hold the left and arrow and the up arrow button while playing a YouTube video or even if it's paused the video box turns into a game of snake, pointless but still fun :awesome:
Reply 8574
Javascript semicolon insertion is irritating for beginners (i.e. me) :angry:
No explicit way to override it seems incredibly foolish.

What's wrong with the semicolon? It's how Jave and Perl do it, and it makes sense!! :confused:
Original post by The Stig
I don't know if I'm just the last to find out or if it's new but if you hold the left and arrow and the up arrow button while playing a YouTube video or even if it's paused the video box turns into a game of snake, pointless but still fun :awesome:

Done this a while ago. Mind was blown. :awesome:
Original post by Tathrim
What's wrong with the semicolon? It's how Jave and Perl do it, and it makes sense!! :confused:

Semicolons make perfect sense, I agree. Automatic insertion does not. For example
function helloworld(){return
"a really long string " +
"that's split over multiple lines";
}

Java and c would return "a really long string that's split over multiple lines". Nice.
Javascript returns undefined because it thinks 'Well hey, lets put a semicolon in after 'return'!'

if (x==5)
{
<block of instructions>
}

The block of instructions is executed unconditionally, because a semicolon is inserted at the end of the line with if on. One would need to move the opening bracket to be on the same line as the if statement (which is good practice anyway, but is a damn stupid thing to require).
Reply 8577
Wait, what is inserting the semicolons?
From a thread in GD, check it out. Which way does the shadow spin for you? Clockwise (right brain) or anti (left brain)? Found it changed direction when I looked at the shadow/feet.

Original post by Planto
Wait, what is inserting the semicolons?

Chrome (and, I assume, other browsers that support javascript)....although I suppose one should actually blame it on v8 in this case.
See http://robertnyman.com/2008/10/16/beware-of-javascript-semicolon-insertion/ and http://inimino.org/~inimino/blog/javascript_semicolons
It seems utterly stupid to me - I can't see any benefits. All I see it offering is potential confusion.

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
From a thread in GD, check it out. Which way does the shadow spin for you? Clockwise (right brain) or anti (left brain)? Found it changed direction when I looked at the shadow/feet.

Spoiler

Clockwise only. Can't see it the other way.
I was expecting my left brain to be dominant, I must admit...
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending