The Student Room Group

Any Brits studing in the USA at the moment?

If so, then, how's it going for you? Any experiences to share? Do you generally get on with the Americans?

I'm applying for 2011 entry and was just wondering...

Also, if you're a guy, do you get loads of attention from girls with the accent and all that "Britishness?" which they apparently love.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
None?
Stop harking on about accents for goodness sake - if you really think that having a British accent will help you get girls, you've either watched too many movies or you're a moron. Girls don't swoon over the accent and "sleep with you b/c you are British"; the accent is seen like any other, be it French, German or British. It won't give you any sort of advantage.

Culturally there isn't much difference between the UK and the US on a whole, though the drinking culture is obviously somewhat different (limited to dorm parties and/or frat parties) b/c of the age restriction.
They won't sleep with you because you're British or have a British accent but it sure does get their attention (for the better). The deciding factor is what you say after they state something about your accent, whether you can continue the conversation and keep her interested.
Yes, I am studying in the US.

1) It is going well

2) No

3) Americans are OK, they tend to get annoying after a while. They're accents are very nasally and they are fairly ignorant.

4) Yes, they love the accent. You won't get laid but it will definitely have them approaching you.
Reply 5
Original post by manchild007
Stop harking on about accents for goodness sake - if you really think that having a British accent will help you get girls, you've either watched too many movies or you're a moron. Girls don't swoon over the accent and "sleep with you b/c you are British"; the accent is seen like any other, be it French, German or British. It won't give you any sort of advantage.

Culturally there isn't much difference between the UK and the US on a whole, though the drinking culture is obviously somewhat different (limited to dorm parties and/or frat parties) b/c of the age restriction.

Yeah, gonna agree with manchild on this one. The very fact that you've discussed the accent so many times leads me to believe that you probably lack any type of game. An accent won't makeup for lack of confidence.
Reply 6
Original post by Lord_Farquad

1) It is going well

2) No

3) Americans are OK, they tend to get annoying after a while. They're Their accents are very nasally and they are fairly ignorant.

4) Yes, they love the accent. You won't get laid but it will definitely have them approaching you.

And you say Americans are ignorant?
Reply 7
Original post by Lord_Farquad

1) It is going well

2) No

3) Americans are OK, they tend to get annoying after a while. They're accents are very nasally and they are fairly ignorant.

elementary my dear watson!! ignorant. how so? I hear this alot about Americans and I am just curious as to how we are more ignorant than Brits? . . . .If you say the war on terror i will hunt you down and spank you
Original post by Allie-23
elementary my dear watson!! ignorant. how so? I hear this alot about Americans and I am just curious as to how we are more ignorant than Brits? . . . .If you say the war on terror i will hunt you down and spank you

Generally LF is just a troll - he's just some wannabe banker and one who constantly criticises the US college system over the UK system based on his opinions alone, as don't you know, their gospel :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Original post by manchild007
Generally LF is just a troll - he's just some wannabe banker and one who constantly criticises the US college system over the UK system based on his opinions alone, as don't you know, their gospel :rolleyes:

Aren't you a wannabe banker who does the opposite?

ahhh couldn't resist . we cool bro.

Reply 10

Elementary.
Reply 11
Original post by Dizzee1
Elementary.

When did periods start to be applied to incomplete sentences? . . .Elementary
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
When did periods start to be applied to incomplete sentences? . . .Elementary

Wut...? :confused:
Original post by adam0311
Aren't you a wannabe banker who does the opposite?

ahhh couldn't resist . we cool bro.

I was going to reply back with a similar post, but screw it, we cool :tongue:
Reply 14
I am studying in the US.

It's a fun time but prepare to work a lot. It depends on what uni you go to and what you major in, but more likely than not you will probably have to work more than your friends in England. Or at least it will feel that way because every time you contact your mates back home they will be on vacation if they go to Oxbridge. For example the workload I had last semester: One 25 page paper; Five 7-12 page papers; three final exams; twenty-four one page response papers (not usual, very strange assignment tbf); three midterms; four quizes; numerous homeworks; about 600 pages of reading per week - would rise to over 1000 when I had to read a book for one class that set a book every 2 weeks. (I am a political science major, so a science major would have fewer readings and papers and more tests and homeworks.)

If LF wants to go into banking, that attitude isn't going to get him anywhere - considering that most of the banks are American. Americans are just like British. There will be a large number of exceptional American students, good American students, and lesser students - no different from anywhere else.

Honestly I do get along with Americans but the topic of conversation is generally different from at least what I experienced back in England. Very few of them will know much about footie, and those that do will be United, Arsenal or Liverpool fans. Saying that, they all love to play FIFA so you can get the whole dorm supporting your team with a lot of effort :wink: They talk much less about international politics, so if that is your interest you will have to join clubs/societies relevant to that field. The conversation will more be about American sports/girls/inside jokes. Maybe that is just because I am in a fraternity... However, this change is not bad once you get the hang of it. If you want to go to uni in the States learn about Basketball and Football, maybe learn a bit about baseball if you are going to school up north.

It will get you some interest from girls. About 6 British guys went to my school in my year: 3 have an American girlfriend (we are sophomores) and 1 has his British girlfriend from back home. Not bad going...

edit - One last thing you have to take into account is the fact that facilities at US universities far outstrip anything offered by British universities. Our libraries are bigger, our gyms are better etc. If you want to get a job, universities go out of their way to set you up with contacts. The standard of living is generally higher, but that comes at a monetary price...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by dn013
I am studying in the US.
Honestly I do get along with Americans but the topic of conversation is generally different from at least what I experienced back in England. Very few of them will know much about footie, and those that do will be United, Arsenal or Liverpool fans. Saying that, they all love to play FIFA so you can get the whole dorm supporting your team with a lot of effort :wink: They talk much less about international politics, so if that is your interest you will have to join clubs/societies relevant to that field. The conversation will more be about American sports/girls/inside jokes. Maybe that is just because I am in a fraternity... However, this change is not bad once you get the hang of it. If you want to go to uni in the States learn about Basketball and Football, maybe learn a bit about baseball if you are going to school up north.

You don't have to answer if you don't want to, but may I ask what house you're in? Purdue sorority woman here! :smile:
Reply 16
Funny thread this is :h:
I'm a Brit in the US, but in my final year of high school :smile: Moved to California in 2004 but hopefully I'll be moving back in the summer
Original post by noodlecup93

Original post by noodlecup93
I'm a Brit in the US, but in my final year of high school :smile: Moved to California in 2004 but hopefully I'll be moving back in the summer

Ah so you're from Cali too. :biggrin:
Original post by kristinaalovesu
Ah so you're from Cali too. :biggrin:

Indeed :smile: Shouldn't you be asleep?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending