The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hello dave
I'm waiting to get my offer letter specifying the conditions (I was told by phone) from Peterhouse, and I'm worrying now it might be a nasty STEP or AEA distinction offer, just because I'm lazy and it will mean so much more work.. A friend got an offer for Natural Sciences at Peterhouse and his offer includes 1's in STEP 2 and 3 which is so harsh, I would struggle with STEP 2, and there's no chance I'd get a 1 in STEP 3..

You have an offer for engineering though (I think) and I haven't seen anyone with such a horrendous offer for that. I'm worried enough about the A* in FM :frown:
My maths teacher said she wouldn't put any money on me getting an A* !
Original post by CountDuckula

Original post by CountDuckula
Oh wow! That sounds v cool. I'm going to France next month! It should be fun...trying to speak French...:s-smilie: lol
Definitely give it a visit! There's a really pretty college garden and a Hogwarts-style dining hall :smile:
I'm sure you'll get the grades, you got into Cambridge! :biggrin: good luck!

Well I hope you enjoy France! Going anywhere special? Skiing perhaps? Lovely slopes down in the Alps!
I saw pictures of the college gardens and I was proper gobsmacked to be honest - imagine what it's like in Spring and Summer! :smile: I also saw pictures of Selwyn Old Court in Autumn on the college Facebook page. Lovely colours, so much greenery and leafy-ness. So soothing, after a hard day's work :tongue:
The Hogwarts-style dining hall is probably the bit I'm looking forward to the most!

Aaaaargh. Just want to fast-forward to July when I get the grades I need! Bring aaawwnnn October 2011 behbeh :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by dwalsh20
Anyone here who attended interviews at Homerton on the 14th of December? Hope I'm not alone.

Didn't interview there but have been fished by them :smile: What subject have you applied for?
Reply 643
College: Churchill
Course: History
Offer: TBA (I got an email confirming my offer, but they have yet to finalize the details), deferred entry for 2012

I can't explain the joy of being able to post in this thread. It's overwhelming right now.
Original post by jul
Woke up this morning and found the email with the offer! I wasn't expecting to hear for another week or month because I'm international (US), and even then, I was expecting assured rejection. I thought my first interview was a total disaster.
So excited!!

College:Corpus
Course: Arch/Anth
Offer: 5's on four out of five of my APs.. seriously going to start prepping like NOW :smile:

im an international offer holder from the US too!! still waiting on what the conditions are though! where in the US? hopefully see you in cambridge
Reply 645
Original post by wavertree.road
im an international offer holder from the US too!! still waiting on what the conditions are though! where in the US? hopefully see you in cambridge

Hey! I am a post-grad offer holder in school in the US. Well done on your offer :smile:
Reply 646
I'm another US kid with an offer from Cambridge! Hello, hello! :smile: Congrats to all.
Original post by vgnhippie
I'm another US kid with an offer from Cambridge! Hello, hello! :smile: Congrats to all.

Yipee! Was it conditional?
Original post by Viceroy
Hey! I am a post-grad offer holder in school in the US. Well done on your offer :smile:

Brilliant, hopefully see you there :smile:
Offer from Churchill for Computer Science with Mathematics. A*AA, A* in Further Math. 1/1 in STEP II/III. A little harsh, but I'm still in L6 (in Hong Kong) and have not done well in my HKCEE (form 5 exam like GCSE). Going to work extremely hard!
College: Gonville and Caius
Course: English
Offer: A*AA

Any fellow Caius students?? SO DARN EXCITED
Original post by georgiamingles
College: Gonville and Caius
Course: English
Offer: A*AA

Any fellow Caius students?? SO DARN EXCITED

Yayyy Caius! Congrats on best college :biggrin:
Reply 652
Original post by Austrian
I am Austrian, so I am doing the Austrian Matura which is quite different to A level. Our system is a bit difficult to explain. If I had to translate my offer for an English guy I'd say I have to achieve 5 As and 1 B....kind of...

I was so suprised that I got an offer. I thought my subject specific interview didn't go well but the general one was really good and all the interviewers were extremely nice and I felt really comfortable and welcomed.

I hope I'll meet the conditions. It would be a dream come true

OH right, unfortunately I don't know anything about the Austrian system.

I thought the interviewers at Christ's were so nice also! I was so surprised, because there are so many (evidently false) myths about oxbridge interviews, but they made me feel like I could truly be myself.

You will meet your conditions - believe in yourself, and it'll happen :smile: Good luck! I hope to see you in 10 months!

Original post by nadz123456
Heey fellow 'Christ-ian'....that doesnt work does it.....?
Good luck with getting the grades and hope to see you in about 10 months!!!!

Hahahah, I hadn't though of that one yet :P I was thinking Christ-ee, or fellow Christ-person.
Same to you! Good luck, and I will see you in 10 months! :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Got the tshirt
You have an offer for engineering though (I think) and I haven't seen anyone with such a horrendous offer for that. I'm worried enough about the A* in FM :frown:
My maths teacher said she wouldn't put any money on me getting an A* !

Did your offer specify A* for FM then? That is quite tough, what college is that from?
Original post by hello dave
Did your offer specify A* for FM then? That is quite tough, what college is that from?

Yes unfortunately:frown:

Pembroke. My sister is at Downing and apparently it was a condition for engineering there last year and one guy missed it by 1 or 2 UMS and had to get a remark. She thinks he went to Bath first and then joined Downing (after his remark) in the middle of October.

I can definately see me missing it by a few marks!! Teacher predicted me an A and I got 272/300 at AS.

Do you have your offer conditions yet? My track updated on Friday and I was hoping the FM A* was a mistake but it wasn't. Oh well better start revising.

Just noticed it says Pembroke not Peterhouse in your signature!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Got the tshirt
Yes unfortunately:frown:

Pembroke. My sister is at Downing and apparently it was a condition for engineering there last year and one guy missed it by 1 or 2 UMS and had to get a remark. She thinks he went to Bath first and then joined Downing (after his remark) in the middle of October.

I can definately see me missing it by a few marks!! Teacher predicted me an A and I got 272/300 at AS.

Do you have your offer conditions yet? My track updated on Friday and I was hoping the FM A* was a mistake but it wasn't. Oh well better start revising.

No I still haven't heard, I might email them if the letter dosen't come tomorrow. Ah, I think I'd struggle with an A* in FM too, I missed the A* in maths last year after messing up C4 by 1 ums :frown: at least I've got some good motivation now!

But STEP would be nastier. I put AEA on my UCAS so they might make a distinction offer which wouldn't be great, but like you say it's still a Cambridge offer!

Just noticed it says Pembroke not Peterhouse in your signature!!

oops! My mistake, it is Peterhouse, I was clearly too excited that I had actually got an offer!
kinda late joining this thread.. anybody for jesus? :smile:
St John's Economics :biggrin:
Any other Downing Classicists? I feel so lonely ;__;
Glad it's unconditional, means I can start being lazy :biggrin:
Christ's, Law =D

Congrats to everyone who got offers, and good luck to those in the pool :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending