The Student Room Group

C1 January 10th 2011 Exam (Edexcel)

Scroll to see replies

yeah i need it too
messed that paper up so bad:frown:
If I said it was the easiest exam ever then knowing me I might jinx it. So I'm just going to say I found it reasonably alright, there were a couple questions where I had to think a little, but overall I think I did better than the first time I sat it.

A lot of people came out the exam saying it was hard though, and I think that's pretty understandable because it was a bit more challenging than previous past papers.

I actually didn't realise the C1 exam was Monday until I looked at my organiser on the Sunday... Good thing too, otherwise I would've completely missed it -FAIL-. I thought it was Tuesday, good thing I checked. So I basically crammed the night before, woops!
Do you know if these solutions are 100% correct? Thanks :biggrin:
And whoever writes the solutions the next day is a legend! :biggrin:
Reply 144
thanks for solutions, i counted around 76-83% :smile:
Reply 145
Original post by animal*nature
Do you know if these solutions are 100% correct? Thanks :biggrin:
And whoever writes the solutions the next day is a legend! :biggrin:

I did and I am
Reply 146
Does anyone no how much marks Im going to lose if i answeared one of the points in Q5/ B wrong since i got one point as (1/0) and the other (0,1) intstead of (0,1/3) :frown:
And thank you Arsey for the Solutions :smile:
Original post by Arsey
I did and I am

Ohhhh thanks so much for the solutions!
I agree with all of them, you know for question (think) it was 7 about f(x) being12x2-8x+1 and the coordinates (-1,0) and you had to find f(x)
How come it would not work to put -1 into the differentiated equation (given) to get the gradient and then to use y-y1=m(x-x1)?
Would that not work? Just curios. Thanks :smile:
What if for question 2, you forgot to add +c at the end? How many marks of the 5 do you lose?

Also in question 6, (sequences), what if you manually wrote out, a + (a+d) + (a+2d) all the way to (a+9d) but you got the same answer when you added up the terms?

Also, in 9E, i got the answer wrong but I still used the right method? How many marks will I lose?
Reply 149
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
What if for question 2, you forgot to add +c at the end? How many marks of the 5 do you lose?

Also in question 6, (sequences), what if you manually wrote out, a + (a+d) + (a+2d) all the way to (a+9d) but you got the same answer when you added up the terms?

Also, in 9E, i got the answer wrong but I still used the right method? How many marks will I lose?

If you forget the constant of integration, you lose one mark usually.

As long as you get the correct answer, you will get all the marks, because your method isn't incorrect.

If you use the correct method, but get the final answer wrong, you lose the accuracy marks. Depending on the question, it can account for around half the marks.
Like a dickhead, I put my asymptotes in the wrong quadrants (I missed the minus sign infront of the reciprocal function). I however then went on to incorrectly deduce but correctly answer the number of intersections between the two graphs.

How many marks will I lose???
Original post by animal*nature
Ohhhh thanks so much for the solutions!
I agree with all of them, you know for question (think) it was 7 about f(x) being12x2-8x+1 and the coordinates (-1,0) and you had to find f(x)
How come it would not work to put -1 into the differentiated equation (given) to get the gradient and then to use y-y1=m(x-x1)?
Would that not work? Just curios. Thanks :smile:

to find f(x) when given f'(x) you have to integrate

your method will find the equation of a straight line, the tangent to the curve at the point where x = -1
Reply 152
yay got a 100 :biggrin:
Reply 153
Can anyone help me?

For C1 q11C i got the wrong gradient from the differentiation and turned it over for the normal and then used the coordinates they gave to work out the equation. Will i get any marks? If so how many marks out of 6 would i get then?

And also on Q7 (c1) i intergrated right but my value of C was wrong. I got 1 instead of 9, how many marks would i get for that, that Question was out of 5.
Thanks
Reply 154
why is this stickied?
Reply 155
Original post by unknownn1

Original post by unknownn1
Can anyone help me?

For C1 q11C i got the wrong gradient from the differentiation and turned it over for the normal and then used the coordinates they gave to work out the equation. Will i get any marks? If so how many marks out of 6 would i get then?

And also on Q7 (c1) i intergrated right but my value of C was wrong. I got 1 instead of 9, how many marks would i get for that, that Question was out of 5.
Thanks

I did the same thing.. my equation was right but when i subsituted the value of x in i went wrong somewhere so i'm also wondering how many marks i would lose out of 6 as i still did the right method just like you did. I did the same mistake again when subtracting to find a and d in the sequences question :biggrin: I hate silly mistakes :frown:
Reply 156
Original post by cylon

Original post by cylon
Does anyone no how much marks Im going to lose if i answeared one of the points in Q5/ B wrong since i got one point as (1/0) and the other (0,1) intstead of (0,1/3) :frown:
And thank you Arsey for the Solutions :smile:

I wrote (0,1/2) instead of (0,1/3) so i was trying to work that out too and i think since there's 4 marks on that question, wouldn't you get a mark for each value? since there are 2 x and 2 y values. I could be wrong but if i'm right that would mean you would only lose one mark.
Reply 157
Original post by Al04
I wrote (0,1/2) instead of (0,1/3) so i was trying to work that out too and i think since there's 4 marks on that question, wouldn't you get a mark for each value? since there are 2 x and 2 y values. I could be wrong but if i'm right that would mean you would only lose one mark.

I Hope so, and thank you bro :smile:
for the questioon about asymptopes i only put (1,0) will i get 2 marks out 0f 4.

for the question about sequences it was sum =0 i did the correct method but got wrong answer of 20/5
for the question i got c=-7 for integration.

how many marks would i lose?
Original post by otrivine
for the questioon about asymptopes i only put (1,0) will i get 2 marks out 0f 4.

for the question about sequences it was sum =0 i did the correct method but got wrong answer of 20/5
for the question i got c=-7 for integration.

how many marks would i lose?

I did exactly the same thing! for the asymptotes question :eek:
Tbh i think you will get 2 marks outta 4 for that but i dunno about the other questions

Quick Reply