The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F211 Exam - Tues 11'th January 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by Ambrosse
Wait. Isnt S phase just the small bit were chromosomes are checked and replicated? G1 and G2 is where orgnalles and cell grows and protein synthesis. That what it says in the book anyway.

i fail at mitosis even tho it was 90% certain to come up this year i didnt bother revising it that much :/ are g1 s and g2 all part of interphase? if they are then it should be ok
Reply 541
Dam I think I misunderstood the question. I was thinking about just the S phase for some reason and not the whole of interphase.
Reply 542
Original post by Sadbunny11
Organelles dont go through growth - clearly says in the book 'replicated' P:

g2 is general growth i wrote organelles duplicate and grow + the dna checking or something like that i know but the book says alot of stuff that the markscheme doesn't always agree with :s-smilie:
im assuming its duplicate bcoz
"mitosis refers to the process of nuclear division where two genetically identical nuclei are formed from one parent cell nucleus."
thats IF the mark scheme fits in with the book this year :/ that definitions somewhere in unit one on mitosis its a key definition thats y i know it :/.
Reply 543
Dam I think I misunderstood the question. I was thinking about just the S phase for some reason and not the whole of interphase.

ive forgotten the question completely if its asking for just the S phase though then the 2 marks are dna is replicated and genetic information is checked? but dna replication was in the question to start with :/
I'm not sure if I liked this paper or not. I found a lot of it too ambiguous, and nothing on the heart came up - I could write a flipping essay on the damned thing -_-

For the "label the lung question", what did everyone put? I put bronchus, because it looked like one of the two branches, with the even smaller ones being bronchioles - but everyone I spoke to put bronchioles. Tbh I don't think the drawing was big enough to be able to tell, but maybe that's just me?

I also got confused at the last one. I forgot the difference between reliability and accuracy. Rambled on for a bit, probably got it wrong.
Reply 545
Original post by Sadbunny11
Which exam, since i just checked the past papers on the OCR site and see nothing of it

June 2009 - Question 5bi

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/ms_09/ocr_40994_ms_09_gce_jun.pdf
Original post by blahblah772
what about the histamine causing more permeability question? i put more substances that would not usually pass out of the capillary would do so and that the scells in the tissues would become plasmolysed because the water potential of the tissue fluid would decrease and water would leave the cells in the tissue :smile:

I think i put something like that too .. and for the one before about histamine making the muscle contract or something, that was to do with cell receptor molecules / target cells etc right? the questions were a bit strange, hard to know what they wanted from us.

Original post by Nima11
About the pathways the water takes throug the cell membrane - 2mark question .

I thought that was symplast and apoplast pathway?

i put symplast etc for that one too.. quite a few people did i think but a lot of people but about cell membrane bilayer channel proteins etc! maybe they'll except both because the question could be either? (or lets hope so...:smile:)
oh gosh most of the questions were way too vague! or those "suggest..." questions .... where was all the "meaty" stuff on the heart, lungs, translocation, haemoglobin, lymph, cardiac cycle ... etc that we spent soo long revising!!? i think the "suggest" questions and the ambiguity on this paper made it harder than a lot of the past papers we've done
Reply 547
So eurythrocytes might still get mark then? :biggrin:

Depends on who's marking but I'd expect so :smile:
Reply 548
Original post by TattyBoJangles
I'm not sure if I liked this paper or not. I found a lot of it too ambiguous, and nothing on the heart came up - I could write a flipping essay on the damned thing -_-

For the "label the lung question", what did everyone put? I put bronchus, because it looked like one of the two branches, with the even smaller ones being bronchioles - but everyone I spoke to put bronchioles. Tbh I don't think the drawing was big enough to be able to tell, but maybe that's just me?

I also got confused at the last one. I forgot the difference between reliability and accuracy. Rambled on for a bit, probably got it wrong.

lung i did the bronchus so did most of the people i talked to bronchioles would be the branches with the alveoli.
reliablity is how trustworthy your results are and accuracy is how close together they are i think or something along those lines i got the reliability 2 marks but got 1 or 0 marks for accuracy.

increase number of organelles <-- = organelles replicated

DO NOT ACCEPT refs to DNA replication

I wrote Organelles are replicated so? P:
Reply 550
How did it everyone find it? I've decided to grow a beard just for the exam period!
Reply 551
Original post by giraffegiraffe
I think i put something like that too .. and for the one before about histamine making the muscle contract or something, that was to do with cell receptor molecules / target cells etc right? the questions were a bit strange, hard to know what they wanted from us.

i put symplast etc for that one too.. quite a few people did i think but a lot of people but about cell membrane bilayer channel proteins etc! maybe they'll except both because the question could be either? (or lets hope so...:smile:)
oh gosh most of the questions were way too vague! or those "suggest..." questions .... where was all the "meaty" stuff on the heart, lungs, translocation, haemoglobin, lymph, cardiac cycle ... etc that we spent soo long revising!!? i think the "suggest" questions and the ambiguity on this paper made it harder than a lot of the past papers we've done

its symplast and vacuolar btw because apoplast refers to movement of water across the cell wall? i mentioned apoplast just in case but i dont think apoplast scores any marks at all and the examiner will just think im abit retarded lol. hopefully i get the full marks for my descriptions of symplast and vacuolar though :/
Reply 552
anyone doing OCR chemistry F321 on Tuesday? We should start discussing that imho

For the "label the lung question", what did everyone put? I put bronchus, because it looked like one of the two branches, with the even smaller ones being bronchioles - but everyone I spoke to put bronchioles. Tbh I don't think the drawing was big enough to be able to tell, but maybe that's just me?.

I put bronchus :s-smilie:
Reply 554
Original post by adilh301

Yeah symplast and vacuolar pathway across the membrane, going through channel proteins would be wrong even if the question asked how water moved through the phospholipid bilayer i think bc water molecules are an exception to that rule as theyre small enough to travel through the hydrophobic tails. but yeah symplast and vacuolar pathway:smile:

hahaha!!
every one is confused on this question Adil :biggrin:
Reply 555
Original post by Flint_09
anyone doing OCR chemistry F321 on Tuesday? We should start discussing that imho

yeah but unlike biology chemistry cant go that vague :biggrin: dont wana get over confident but i think chemistrys a definite A for me.
Reply 556
Original post by jaez121
hahaha!!
every one is confused on this question Adil :biggrin:

lolz yeh but at least other ppl got tissues losing water for that histamine one :P might not have gotten as low as i thought.
Let's hope bronchus is right then xD

For that water thing - I'm pretty sure the question was, "How does water move across the cell surface membrane?"
Surely symplast and vacuolar are describing what the water does once it's passed through the plasma membrane, not describing how water actually enters the cell in the first place?
I put that water on its own is small enough to pass through the bilayer via osmosis, but if there are solutes / larger molecules with it, then channel proteins may have to facilitate the diffusion.?
Reply 558
Let's hope bronchus is right then xD

For that water thing - I'm pretty sure the question was, "How does water move across the cell surface membrane?"
Surely symplast and vacuolar are describing what the water does once it's passed through the plasma membrane, not describing how water actually enters the cell in the first place?
I put that water on its own is small enough to pass through the bilayer via osmosis, but if there are solutes / larger molecules with it, then channel proteins may have to facilitate the diffusion.?

yeah i thought that at first aswell but if you have the OCR text book on page 73 that pretty much looks like their question and the answer theyd answer.
Reply 559
yeah but unlike biology chemistry cant go that vague :biggrin: dont wana get over confident but i think chemistrys a definite A for me.

hope u get higher than that lol
a question, why can't the first shell hold more than two electrons?
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending